Upgrade from MBPR 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yth, Aug 18, 2015.

1. yth macrumors member

I have $2500 to spend on a laptop, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade now or wait for a few years. My current laptop is a 2012 MBP Retina. It has:

512 GB SSD
    16 GB RAM
    2.6 Ghz i7
    GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

I was looking at upgrading to a new 2015 MBPR, but it doesn't look like my new computer would be any better than my current configuration. For $2500, I can get:

512 GB SSD
    16GB RAM
    2.5 Ghz i7
    AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB

Would I even notice a difference between the two computers? I am a little surprised that in over 3 years, the MBPR line hasn't improved the specs very much (although the cost is better). Thanks for the help!

2. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Well the 512 GB SSD in current macbook pro is almost 3x faster. up to 2000mb read / 1400mb write.
    the AMD Radeon is 2x - 3x faster than the GT 650M.

Other than that, its pretty much the same I guess. Apple could at least give 32 GB ram which haswell can handle.
    Oh and a much better LCD panel then the 2012, I read somewhere with the gamut or something.

If your machine still can do what you throw at it, I say don't upgrade. I bought the MBP retina with AMD because my late 2011 mbp died.

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I'd also wait. The 2015 model won't feel much faster if it feels any faster at all.

It will be faster in GPU performance for sure. CPU will probably be about the same.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

With no mention of your usage, any answer anyone provides you is pure conjecture.

What do you actually do with a computer?

5. baris3 macrumors member

Hello,

I suggest you to wait, if you have a running machine. Processors are the same, so I would keep using my old machine if I were you. I just bought a mid-2014 retina because I needed a machine, and it was a good deal compared to apple prices in my country.

Do you game on your 650m ? If so, I'd like to ask a favour. I need to compare my 750m with old 650m on terms of bootcamp gaming. Click for my thread, and share your thoughts please :

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/rmbp-750m-unstable-when-gaming.1908007/

6. yth thread starter macrumors member

So basically, apple hasn't improved their MBPR in 3 years.. ok...

7. rapicell macrumors regular

For regular usage, the difference wouldn't be enough to upgrade unless you're doing intense work, which you will notice a difference.

8. professional445 macrumors member

apart from tripling the read and write speed of the storage and graphics cards, and adding a more power efficient processor, no, they have not improved the machine

9. MikhailT, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

MikhailT macrumors 601

Look at it the other way around, Apple made a really good laptop that doesn't need to be replaced in less than 3 years, you made an investment that worked out really well. I'm perfectly happy with '12 rMBP and I won't be upgrading until Skylake or Cannonlake come out. I'll explain why later.

Since 2012 and 2015, there's not much to improve in that span, Intel can't add more than 5% in general CPU performance every single generation. Memory hasn't changed that in several years for laptops and so on.

Apple did improve in areas that have changed such as PCIe flash storage which is now nearly 2GBps read, 1.5GBps write, wireless has been updated to 2x2 AC, you got Thunderbolt 2 ports and so on. It sounds like you don't care about these and therefore, it won't be a big upgrade for you.

Battery technology hasn't changed much in several years either, so you're not getting a big jump.

Frankly, I would honestly save the money and wait until you get the laptop that you really want. Here's why I'm waiting for Skylake or later.

1. Thunderbolt 3, it's 40Gbps bidirectional via USB-C ports. Thunderbolt 3 is the first version to support external graphic cards, meaning you could add good desktop GPUs to play games on your rMBP, especially if you decide to just get the iGPU model.
    2. Good chance dGPUs will be on 16nm FinFET, which means more powerful graphics that's more power efficient.
    3. Potential chance of Apple adopting Intel's new XPoint storage subsystem, like the Optane SSD as Intel/Mircon wants to start releasing it in Q1 of 2016.
    4. Apple might adopt Intel Xeon Mobile Skylake for the high-end rMBP, latest leak shows the high-end model will include GT4 graphics with 128mb eDRAM. This is also the CPU that will support up to 64GB of memory, so we could see support for both 32 and 64GB of DDR4 memory. The latest lakes also shows there will be Skylake-H CPU at 25W as well, which could make rMBP more efficient at the base level.
    5. Apple might adopt some new styling from the Macbook Retina, redesign the chassis to be lighter and thinner, especially since everything should be more energy efficient.
    6. Assuming Apple does not switch to XPoint, the upcoming switchover to 3D NAND later this year by all NAND companies should cause the capacity of SSDs to increase while remaining the same price. In other words, it is possible we might start seeing 15" start with 512GB and up to 2TB available.

Because of these changes coming in 2016 and the fact you won't see a major change in the new 2015 model, I'd suggest waiting to see if 2016 will be the one you want.

By the way, the upcoming El Capitan update will improve the performance on rMBP, making it feel much faster and thus the wait will be more tolerable. I definitely feel the difference with El Cap on my rMBP.