iPad Upgrade from the iPad 3 to the Air; was it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Nov 23, 2013.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We have an iPad 3 which is in the process of being exchanged under the extended AppleCare warranty.

We were considering jumping up to the Air, however, when we get the Refurb 3 this week, we will basically have a new iPad 3, so not sure if upgrading will be of any benefit (except to Apple).

For you guys who upgraded from the 3 to the Air, was it really worth it?

Thank you

2. shaft103 macrumors newbie

I upgraded from a 3 to the air and think it is definitely worth it. The weight difference I think is very noticeable with the air being much lighter and more comfortable to hold. Internet surfing is much faster and everything feels much snappier. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

3. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I upgraded and am delighted with the Air. It's much lighter (even with Apple smart case) - the 3 feels like a brick by comparison. Things are noticeably snappier, as well - some of my apps fly now. But it's still the same basic iPad experience, so if you're on the fence you might wait until the next one comes out. The 3 is a fine iPad, and it sounds like you're reluctant, which might make you harder to please than I was...

4. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Yes. For the weight difference alone.

5. iCarabma macrumors 6502

It was absolutely worth it.

Weight, speed, (d) all of the above.

6. dannynjoni macrumors member

It's so much faster.

You will love it and get top dollar for your brand new iPad 3. This is the perfect storm for you. Jump on it!

I upgraded from the 3.

7. Tony78228 macrumors regular

Tony78228

it was SO worth it. I sold my ipad 3 on ebay, and it cut my price for a 32g Air in half. I love it

8. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Wife and I both had 3's and she got an Air on release day. I didn't get one because I was just using my rMBP for everything. But she kept on insisting I check her Air out so I gave in and spent an hour or so on it. Then I went back to my 3 for web browsing and such and immediately saw the difference in speed etc. After debating it for a week whether or not I would use an iPad again I broke down and got an Air of my own....and haven't looked back since. This thing is stupid fast and I'm using it all the time now.

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I get to be the first one to say that I'm holding on to my iPad 3 and to suggest that you do, too :p

I have an iPad 3 and a retina iPad mini. There's no question that the new hardware is nice and fast. I handled an Air in store just for kicks and in terms of weight it definitely feels more like a mini. If I were using my iPad as a work device and/or bringing it everywhere with me then my 3 would be an Air right now. (But the big iPad stays at home, and the mini is what gets used at work, hence why the mini was upgraded.)

I use my iPad for email, light web browsing, reading, and the occasional game. For the way that I hold it the weight is a non-issue. While games perform better on the newer hardware and the iPad 3 has a tendency to heat up with extended play time, I don't game enough to justify an upgrade.

If you use your iPad like I do, then the iPad 3 is still good enough. It's far enough from the Air that you would notice and appreciate the differences if you did upgrade, but not so far that switching between the two makes one feel clearly inferior (in my opinion and for my usage).

If money isn't an issue and/or your iPad usage could benefit from the upgrade, then it's a fine upgrade with improvements that you'll notice and appreciate. If money is more of an issue and/or there isn't a "must have" feature on the Air then hold off for another generation or two (or three). The iPad 3 is still a wonderful, very usable device with a lot to offer.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

IMO, the main reason to upgrade to the Air is if you want the lighter form factor. If the weight of the 3 isn't an issue for you, then it should serve you well for another year, maybe even two.

11. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I made that jump myself and couldn't be happier. However, I agree with Ledgem as well! It really depends on your iPad usage. I use my iPad pretty heavily with my work as I use it for public speaking, music, presentations, work product, reading books & magazines, etc. I also use it for media consumption, but that is not my only use. If that was my only use...I might have stayed with my 3. My iPad 3 served me well for two years...sold it for $400...and upgraded to the Air. (Both were 64GB WiFi versions)

Part of your consideration should be whether or not you plan on selling your current iPad to upgrade. The sooner you are willing to sell, the more you will get for your device. I could've stuck with the 3, but I was able to get enough money out of it and that allowed me to upgrade now.

All that said...I LOVE the Air! The speed is a considerable upgrade...that can't be left out. The form factor is simply awesome. I love the feel of the Mini with the screen size of the larger iPad. Couple the Air with my new Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover and I can leave my MacBook Pro behind often!

12. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

It was worth it to me for the wifi, lighter weight, and it being faster all around but I could have easily got by with my 3 for another year if I needed to.

ETA: and I went cellular this time around so that was a factor as well.

13. j.benj macrumors member

Totally worth it for me. Had the 3 since launch day and the performance issues and weight were real bummers. Once the Air was announced I was dead set on upgrading. Lined up at the Apple store and walked out with a lovely VZW white Air. Been loving it ever since. So light... So fast.. It goes with me everywhere now.

14. PhillyAnt macrumors regular

PhillyAnt

I upgraded from the 3 and am happy I did. I only really use it to play some occasional games or browse the web/Facebook while I'm walking on the treadmill at the gym (like I'm doing now), going out to eat at a restaurant by myself, or sitting on the toilet at home and enjoying some good old crapper time lol. I find the upgrade perfect for all those reasons. It's your money. If you have enough to spend on one, do it!

Ps: it makes treadmill time go by really fast. Been walking uphill on the treadmill for a good 45 minutes so far. Sweating my butt off but didn't even realize I was on it for this long until right now. I think I'll go another 45 minutes :)

15. nabwong macrumors regular

I have an ipad 3 and I've been thinking whether I should upgrade for a whole week. I really tried to convince myself but couldn't do it. If I sell my ipad 3 64gb, I'd still need to top up $300++ for a new 64gb air. Doesn't seem like a good play. I've yet to encounter anything the ipad 3 can't handle. I should mention that I'm not a hardcore gamer.

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm getting much snappier wifi response. The weight is noticeable, but levels out a bit with a case. Charge time is ~25% less. That's about it for me.

17. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

if you are using the ipad for long term, the ipad 3 will be missing future ios updates sooner than the ipad air

18. hawon macrumors member

I made a jump to rMini. Air was tempting but I much rather have a smaller tablet and save money as a bonus!

19. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

True, but his iPad 3 is already paid for.. while he will have to part with atleast 5 benjamins for an ipad Air.

20. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

Definitely worth it.

You can easily sell the iPad 3 for $300+

21. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

I just did the upgrade today, wanted the mini but the price difference to the air was too small so I felt the Air was the one to have. I'll order a rMini for my wife for Xmas. But the old mini was still a great machine.

I felt the 3 was still sufficient and probably not as revolutionary jump from a UI point of view as iOS 7 seems to carry most oft he wow factor anyway.

More amazed at the formfactor it is a lovely thing to hold.

My 32GB three is in perfect condition with a Protective case and I have the original box so hopefully it sells well.

22. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

If he is going to use the ipad for more than 3 years then those benjamins are definitely worth it.

ipad 3 is a product that apple trying to kill and remove from the history of idevices :rolleyes:

23. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

I was most concerned about having a bad screen from reading this forum. To my surprise, I compared my 3 to my Air, and it's the 3's screen that looks yellow! The Air looks great.

24. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

And battery life and a bump in audio capabilities.

25. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Bump in audio capabilities?