Upgrade MacRumors?

SolidSnake

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Who here thinks that the Forums should be updated? The forums are very helpful and are very popular now so i think that MacRumors Forums should undergo should plastic surgery. A different layout, a variant of colors schemes ect? What do you all think?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
God no. I've seen so many vBulletin forums that are ugly as sin because of colour schemes and a heavy overdose of graphical nonsense.

This one should carry on keeping it simple. No clutter.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Yes... I believe it's time for a face-lift, a fresher look, but not a major overhaul.

I've said my piece about this before in similar threads and would offer what help I could but web's not my strength at all although as a print designer I'm naturally interested in the subject in terms of colour, layout and legibility.

Some things here work quite well; others less so as the number of forums have expanded.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I like the simple clean look of the forums but wouldn't mind seeing some alternative ideas. Maybe people should post some suggestions/mockups for a new site design, we could vote it down to a shortlist, then present that to arn for a final say?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I would like some more Aqua themes, and an OS X styled background (like the mod you can get in firefox for MR)...

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Killyp said:
I would like some more Aqua themes, and an OS X styled background (like the mod you can get in firefox for MR)...
Could you possibly post a screenshot of this Firefox thing?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Personally, I'd prefer a non-Aqua look to the site. It seems that every other Apple related site and its dog has an Aquafied look, and it's something that dates very quickly.

I generally like things the way they are here, but that's not to say that I would be against any alterations that made things a little clearer and legible – just not change for change's sake. ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
dcv said:
I like the simple clean look of the forums but wouldn't mind seeing some alternative ideas. Maybe people should post some suggestions/mockups for a new site design, we could vote it down to a shortlist, then present that to arn for a final say?
If you've got 'em, post 'em right here and we'll see what arn or anybody else likes.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I quite like the way MacRumors is laid out/displayed. Much better than the majority of forums I visit anyway.

One thing I don't like is the logo. No offense to whoever designed it, but it just looks amateurish and outdated to me. But then again, what do I know? :rolleyes:

If it's not broken don't fix it, eh?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
EGT said:
One thing I don't like is the logo. No offense to whoever designed it, but it just looks amateurish and outdated to me. But then again, what do I know? :rolleyes:
Did you know the logo has a hidden element to it? :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
EGT said:
I quite like the way MacRumors is laid out/displayed. Much better than the majority of forums I visit anyway.

If it's not broken don't fix it, eh?
It's fine, including the logo. Nothing gets in the way of the discussion and that's the main thing about forums, isn't it?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The logo's not gonna change.

The layout may change... or at the very least refreshed. I was looking into getting a better icon-set, but it hasn't been that easy to find a good one. If there are any professional or serious-amateur icon designers amongst our ranks who would be interested, you should contact me.

arn

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
dynamicv said:
God no. I've seen so many vBulletin forums that are ugly as sin because of colour schemes and a heavy overdose of graphical nonsense.

This one should carry on keeping it simple. No clutter.
amen to that. Best forum I've ever seen!