Upgrade OR archive and install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AppleCandidate, Oct 27, 2007.

1. AppleCandidate macrumors member

Does anyone know if there is an improvement in performance if you do this? Has anyone tried it?

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

When I tried to upgrade, I had a big issue. Once the gray screen loaded up, it would get to the blue screen, and wouldn't go anymore. It simply would stop loading anything. I don't know if it was having conflict issues with my old Tiger installation or what, but I ended up having to do a fresh erase and install.

3. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

Honestly, I first did the upgrade method. It takes much longer than other methods. It was faster (for me) than Tiger in most respects. However, a complete clean install is the absolute best way if performance is important to you. That's what I did and Leopard screams.

I've seen quite a bit of complaining from some of the members here that did either the upgrade or archive and install.

4. AppleCandidate thread starter macrumors member

Do you know if the archive and install is as effective performance wise as a clean install?

Also, did you find that the finder is working slow in column mode? In my case, it takes a while for the content to load from column to column.

5. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

I've been following this thread since yesterday and the trend seems to be that archive and install is not always as effective as a clean install. What I mean be clean install is:

1. Back up everything
    2. Erase HD with zeroes (voodoo really)
    3. Install Leopard
    4. Move everything back that you want/need from the backup.

This takes MUCH longer than archive and install, but this is the only way I ever upgrade to the newest OS.

Performance varies, but if you want to be sure you are getting the most from your machine, you'll want to do a clean install.

6. AppleCandidate thread starter macrumors member

Makes sense I guess, thanks for your insights!

7. hologram macrumors 6502

8. AppleCandidate thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I already did the upgrade option yesterday, but I need to find a better way to run this smoothly - most issues in the article seemed to be related to installation issues and not performance issues.

9. Anorak macrumors regular

Anorak

When doing a clean install of Leopard, Leopard can't just reformat your HD for you? I find it odd that you'd have to wipe your HD manually.

10. hologram macrumors 6502

Maybe some of your legacy stuff is interfering. Can you back up, then do an erase and install?

You didn't give your computer specs. Maybe that has something to do with it, too.

11. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Exactly the same thing happened to me doing an upgrade on my MacPro. I'm currently reinstalling 10.4 from a clone. I upgraded my MacBook without any problems.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I did an upgrade and have noticed a lot more bugs than I wanted. Ex. The System Preferences window in Spaces and Desktop & Screensaver was cut off on the right so I could barely see the 2 & 3 spaces. I put it to sleep last night and this morning it's fixed itself ... weird. The system has also fronzen (not even a kernel panic) more times in the last night than at all running Tiger for 2 years.

I'm going to do a clean install as 1) I have everything backed up and 2) upgrading take A LOT of space. I only have 12GB free on my 80GB hard drive now with the Library taking 9GB and System folder taking 3GB. Just a tad to big for me wouldn't you say? It's just a great time to do some house cleaning.