Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Archived and Installed on both machines in my sig. These machines started out as Panther machines -> Tiger -> Leopard as A&Is. Both machines seem faster than they did before the install. :rolleyes:

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Ok, since I had my Time Machine backup completed, I figured I'd do a clean install, and while I was at it see how well things work from using Time Machine to recover.

Results: Time Machine backup works really well, so far the only thing that didn't seem to make the trip back is my hard drive icon reverted back to the default.

As for speed, things do seem a bit snappier. Dashboard and Expose' are both a lot smoother, though every now and again I'll notice Expose' skip a bit, but nothing like before. So it seems, as noted above, clean install FTW.

onebloodonelife

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I lost a bunch, opened activity viewer, and dang I only have Safari open and my virtual memry file is over 43 GB WTF.

I haven't lost a lot of space, but out of curiosity opened Activity Monitor, and I have a 51GB virtual memory file! I have more apps open than you, but still, that's pretty crazy.

A. Archive and Install
B. 2.0Ghz Macbook with 2GB of RAM
C. Much, much faster than Tiger ever was on this machine. :D

AppleCandidate

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2007
Definitely sluggish - new 2.0 mac mini, with 2gb memory

spaces and the dock (grid) is very jerky. Genie effect is not smooth as it used to be.

will apple fix these kinds of problems?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Definitely sluggish - new 2.0 mac mini, with 2gb memory

spaces and the dock (grid) is very jerky. Genie effect is not smooth as it used to be.

will apple fix these kinds of problems?

Yes, hopefully it won't be too long until 10.5.1 :)

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Did an erase & install on my MacBook (upgraded HDD 7200RPM 16MB cache)

No sluggishness here. Switching Spaces has a slight hiccup during the initial sliding animation, but for integrated graphics it's acceptable. I have EyeTV running fullscreen on an external monitor, Safari and Time Machine open on the MacBook display, and switched back and forth between space 1 & 2 (moving Safari between the two as well), and had no problems. I did this while TM is in the midst of backing up my 50+GB of iTunes data as well! I'm extremely impressed with the performance. :cool:

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
MacBook (2GHz Core 2 Duo - 2GB Ram)
Archive and Install. Restart after Spotlight finished reindexing.
So far the only problem was Parallels crashed first time. I did a reinstall and now performance in the VM looks snappier - so something is benifiting from the upgrade. Performance otherwise is fine so far (once Spotlight finished its magic). Oh - I have magnification on the dock off (stupid and distrating effect at the best of times), so no issues with graphics

Rule of thumb - Whatever memory Apple put in their low end computers - you need double that to get best performance. :D

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
I have a PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.5 GB of Ram. I did an Archive and Install.

Its slow, no doubt about it. Everything is choppy.

Its not my ram. More ram won't help if your not paging out, since your not using all the physical ram possible. I have had Zero page outs. Window sizing and web browsing is faster. But Dock magnification, typing, Expose, Spaces... its terrible.:(

AppleCandidate

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2007
I doubt it's a memory issue, some people reporting here to tru it with 2.8 iMacs, which are very powerful - do you guys honestly believe this is an issue that escaped Apple and that they're going to fix it? I'm disappointed about this and also about the top bar being so transparent. I don't like the grid dock thingie either. The rest is quite nice....

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
I doubt it's a memory issue, some people reporting here to tru it with 2.8 iMacs, which are very powerful - do you guys honestly believe this is an issue that escaped Apple and that they're going to fix it? I'm disappointed about this and also about the top bar being so transparent. I don't like the grid dock thingie either. The rest is quite nice....

I'm surprised, since its such a huge hit on performance with little more going on. Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X, fine, I can see why there would be a performance hit.

But my mac isn't doing to much more now then it was 24 hours ago when I minimized a window. Except now, the animation is all jerky...

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I want to chime in just for statistical input.

MBP SR - 2.4GHz / 4GB Ram / 256 MB Video

Clean Install (Erase and Install)

Super, Ultra Fast. No issues whatsoever, and every task is significantly more responsive.

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
Upgrade = Choppy, E&I = Same?

So I installed Leopard on my SR MBP 2.2 with 2gb of ram, first as an upgrade an definitely noticed that the dock magnification and even the genie effect were choppy in animation. So i said screw it, what do i have to lose. So i backed up everything, then did an erase and install; guess what? Same bloddy thing. Everything else however, such as the overall speed of things is a little better..

I'm fairly dissapointed by the animations being choppy, but otherwise i like it so far. I hope they fix this soon...

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
stacks are very sluggish, sidebar is sluggish, especially clicking and opening things. sluggish all around. like, noticable pauses between clicking, and the subsequent action.

alu imac 2.4, 3gigs ram, 256meg video.

Just curious, but what sort of install did you do? I have about 40-50 items in my downloads folder, and the stack opens instantly (and is very responsive)...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
So I installed Leopard on my SR MBP 2.2 with 2gb of ram, first as an upgrade an definitely noticed that the dock magnification and even the genie effect were choppy in animation. So i said screw it, what do i have to lose. So i backed up everything, then did an erase and install; guess what? Same bloddy thing. Everything else however, such as the overall speed of things is a little better..

I'm fairly dissapointed by the animations being choppy, but otherwise i like it so far. I hope they fix this soon...

The 3D Dock is jerky for me but, if I switch to the 2D Dock (the one from the side) everything was normal again. Try the 2D Dock. If you want the 2D Dock on the bottom just paste the following line in the Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

Then hit enter and type:

killall Dock

Then hit enter.

If you want the old 3D Dock back after, you can just enter the same command except changing the word "YES" to "NO".

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
OK, well looking at the trends here, quick informal poll...

Has anyone done a clean install that is noticing Leopard is sluggish?
or the flipside..
Has anyone done a default upgrade and isn't noticing any sluggish behavior?

no to first, yes to second - I did an upgrade on my Mac Pro to see what it was like before I leveled the disk and did a clean install. Much, much faster than Tiger in both cases. I do have 7GB of ram though so that could be making a difference

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
My install was an upgrade and most of it is really fast except for the 3D Dock is a little sluggish (minimizing and such) and moving windows around (sometimes I get a skip now and then as if it almost falls out of sync and tears a little bit ... mostly with the Finder). Other than that... everything is faster than Tiger.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
17" MacBook Pro 2.33 Intel Core Duo,
Upgrade;
Faster, great redraws and animation, Safari seems really fast, my wallpaper looks better than ever, not sure if it is color or res. No Problems except I have crashed the Finder a couple of times, repeatable and obviously a bug.

Kendall015

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I noticed that Leopard was slow at first, but after time machine had copied its files and after spotlight was done it runs way faster than Tiger. I was very disappointed at first though...but it definitely sped up after awhile.

ktrix

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
A. Upgrade

B. MacBook, C2D 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD

C. Expose, Spaces, Stacks, Genie Effect all noticeably jerky/slow. It's especially noticeable when you hold down the shift key to see Expose, Spaces, etc. in slow motion. The Finder, however, is clearly faster.

I'd guess it's an issues with Leopard and the GMA950. Hopefully Apple can address this through a software update. If not, I'll be extremely disappointed.

mars.cydonia

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
I thought to be the only one to have problems with leopard but now I see that I'm not alone.

A: Clean Install

B: iMac 24" 2,16Ghz - 2GB RAM - Nvidia 7300GT 128MB

C: My system is really sluggish, space, expose, finder, dock animation and stacks are sluggish. I have already restarted many times but my system is ever sluggish.

Strange thing is that Leopard on my other iMac 20" 2Ghz, 1GB RAM and Ati X1600 is really fast and hasn't any sluggish problems; is faster then Tiger.

I have also reset PRAM on my iMac 24 but this hasn't sloved the problem.

I hope in a fix soon :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.