Upgrade or get a new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicolanicola, Aug 26, 2013.

1. nicolanicola macrumors member

I have a mid 2010 macbook pro, 2.4 GHz, I5, 8GB RAM.

It's quite slow though. Slow to start up compared with how it used to be. Slow save anything, slow when I click the 'All My Files' option in Finder; this takes about a minute before spinning beach ball goes away.

So I was thinking, should I get a new one, or is it just a case of upgrading my hardware? I did a blackmagic speed test and read & write speeds are averaging at around 36 mb/s. Is that slow? I was wondering if a SSD would make things better.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Well, just apply some simple logic. If it was fast enough when you bought the MBP... what changed to make it slow? (Hint: it wasn't the hardware). And I really doubt going from Snow Leopard to MLion is the cause. You have other issues causing all that system lag.

Yes, an SSD will improve performance but again, if your MBP worked fine out of the box with a conventional HD, it should still work that way today. Your speed test looks fine for the drive you have.

Before everyone else chimes in here insisting you throw money at your problem I would do a diligent backup and consider a clean install of MLion.

3. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Hmm thats a good point. Can you direct me as to how I go about doing a clean install? I'm pretty sure I upgraded via app store, so i don't have a physical copy of the OS. Plus I suppose I will need to back everything up, so I will need a external HD?

4. robvas macrumors 68030

I wonder if your HD is broken/failing. Those are more in line with the numbers you'd see from a 30GB drive, not a drive that would have came in a 2010 model!

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/25/how-to-clean-install-os-x-mountain-lion/

Before the install though... create another user account, log into that one and see if there's any improvement.

You haven't backed up since 2010? :eek:

If anything, yes an external drive with a time machine backup is a must. They really are pretty cheap.

And so it begins... :(

6. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

Get a 250gb ssd (if your budget allows) and install it in your mbp, should make it flies and speed above 150, also makes your mbp feel 10 years younger.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just upgrade it. There are s many things you can do to a computer to make it faster. Save $$

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'd first try a clean install as Krazy Bill suggested because over the course of three years a lot of stuff accumulates on your hard drive. If after that you still don't see much of an improvement in performance, then I'd say get an SSD and install that.

9. tann macrumors 68000

My recommendation:

Buy SSD.

Clean install on SSD.

Experience awesomeness.

Seriously, I had a 2010 MBP as well and I was going to get rid of it last year, but I clean installed then upgraded to an SSD and oh my WOW. It literally feels SO GOOD. Everything just works so smoothly after!

If you aren't maxing out your CPU or getting close to that then I would recommend the SSD/clean install. Maybe when Mavericks is released!

10. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

O. M. G. I didn't know about the new os release! Why's it called Maverick I wonder? Maybe they ran out of big cats.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I may try to do a clean install then at some point, see how that goes, and if I'm still struggling go for the SSD.

I use photoshop a lot and the lagginess is quite bad on that, it bugs me.

So it's superfast now then? Do you have word on your mac? Mine atm takes about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes for it to open and be usable.

11. tann macrumors 68000

Before the SSD I took 45 seconds to log in screen then another 40 to usable state inside.

With the SSD it was on in about 20 seconds (to log in) and another 20 seconds to usable!! Everything just was faster. Before when I would open chrome I'd open it and wait a while for my tabs to load, after SSD I wasn't ever worried that I'd have to wait a while, because it was so much faster.

It just made the whole experience a lot more pleasant.

12. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

I have a Mid 2010 MBP 2.4GHz/8GB RAM, I installed a SSD along with my 500GB 7200RPM drive in a DIY Fusion drive. Everything has been night and day different. So much quicker. Boot time is down to about 20 seconds. Applications open when you click on them.

Hands down, go with a SSD and clean install.

13. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Which SSD did you guys buy?

I've been doing a bit of research and it seems the samsung 830s are the most popular.

----------

Oh I notice you have a normal hard drive and an ssd. How does that work? Do you have to chose which drive to save stuff on?

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

You take out the optical drive and put either the SSD or HDD in that spot. Then you arrange the system so that the OS and applications are on the SSD and your home folder, media, etc. is on the HDD. If you go this route, you don't even need to get a very large capacity SSD.

15. tann macrumors 68000

I had a Crucial M4 256gb ssd, however the Samsung 840s are meant to be quite awesome. I'd probably look into those as they're newer and I've only seen great reviews of them!

16. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

Yes, I have both in there. I got a kit from macsales.com called the Data Doubler. It allows you to take out the DVD drive (who uses them anyways) and put a HDD there. There are some good write-ups on how to make a DIY Fusion drive. The Mac basically sees the 2 drives as 1 drive and knows to put the OS and frequently accessed files on the SSD and put everything else on the HDD. I did that so I didn't have to buy a huge SSD. I went with a 120GB SSD and combined it with my 500GB rotational drive for a total of 620GB.

17. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Rotational drive, what's one of them? My mbp frequently overheats and I think thats down to my hard drive.

Was it complicated setting up the datadoubler and getting everything installed in the right drive?

Oh just looked at that datadoubler and I don't think its compatible with a 15" mid 2010 mbp :(.

18. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

A rotational drive is just a standard hard drive. They call it a rotational drive because the hard drive platter inside it spins.

It's not complicated to setup. They have a video showing how to install it on the macsales.com website. It will work with the 15" MBP Mid 2010. They have a typo on the website showing "Early 2010" which doesn't exist. Works fine with my Mid 2010.

19. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Before you go installing SSDs or anything else, delete bloat ware and old apps you don't use anymore! Doing that keeps my 2009 MBP running well even with a normal hard drive. SSDs are more than I can afford in college, so I do what I can with what I have.

20. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I went with the Samsung 840 Pro. Half my boot time now is moving the cursor to my ID and typing in my password. This is the best upgrade I've ever done to a computer.

21. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

:eek:

It takes MS Word less than 30 seconds for it to open and be usable for me, and I have a Late 2008 MBP with 8gb ram.

22. andy9l macrumors 68000

Only one person commented that it sounds like a dying HDD. Honestly, that speed is SLOW, and spinning beach ball for all files on a 2010 MBP? Something is wrong.

Make a backup, whatever you do. I wouldn't have much faith in that hardrive of yours.

I put a Samsung 840 in my 2009. Boot time is 12 seconds, no 'usable' wait time as you described. After 12 seconds, Chrome opens in under a second. That said, I'm still going to get a new MBP because my 2009 suffers with Photoshop and resource intensive tasks. Fact is, it's an old beast. It's incredibly good for an Internet/Word processing/coding/email machine, very fast indeed, but for serious work, it's too old.

My point is, an SSD will fix OS/app start up time problems, but Photoshop lag etc. will still be present. That's inherent from your other dated components.

23. Judith123 macrumors member

My suggestion is also to upgrade your Mac with SSD. SSD is the easiest way to improve computer speed. At the same time, you can also try to drag your hard drive. That may do some help.:)

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My 2010 Mac Mini with an SSD is producing about double the speeds. Pretty slow compared to my rMBP but faster then what you're seeing
    MINI_DiskSpeedTest.png

Potentially this is what you'll be seeing if you upgraded to a SSD. For me, I did see a nice improvement on my mini going from a hard drive to the SSD.

It all depends if you want to try to squeeze out a few years with the laptop or want something that is all around faster (disk, memory, gpu, etc).

25. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Is that true though? I have 8GB of ram and a fairly fast processor, so what other components apart from the HD would make photoshop lag? i say photoshop because that's mainly what I use my mac for.

----------

What does that mean?