Carrier Upgrade Program - T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bizack, Sep 7, 2016.

1. bizack, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

bizack macrumors 6502

I bought my 6s Plus using the iPhone Upgrade Program with T-Mobile as my carrier. Was going through a mock iPhone purchase process to see how upgrading to a new phone would work. I see it says T-Mobile is in-store only for new purchases. Anyone know if this is for upgrades as well? i.e. how does one purchase an iPhone 7 using the upgrade program on T-Mobile (it seems like you can't pre-order online... was thinking you might have to choose another carrier and then 'change your mind' in-store). Thanks!

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Believe everyone had to call T-Mo last year to upgrade. Would be easier to do it online though.

3. bizack, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm. I mean that I used the iPhone Upgrade Program to purchase my 6s Plus last year. I'd like to use the iPhone Upgrade Program to upgrade to the iPhone 7. I'm on T-Mobile. When trying to purchase an iPhone this way, it says T-Mobile Upgrades are in-store (in the Apple Store) only. So how does one pre-order an iPhone 7 through the Apple Upgrade Program online?

4. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

First time TMobile customer this year and I really hope this isn't the case. I always go through the AppleStore app as it is the best way to get through fastest and easiest I have found.

I am hoping that can still be used but doesn't sound good based on history I have read here.

5. Bizzle79 macrumors newbie

Bizzle79

I came to the forums to ask this question too. Also on Tmobile and looking to use the Upgrade Program for the first time.

@bizack, how did you sign up last year?

It's sad that signups are not available online, I cant handle the stress of going in store on release day not knowing if i can get one or not! Perhaps there may be an option to reserve online? Dont think you can choose a different carrier as you have to enter your account details and such

6. Carlos22Dayday macrumors 6502

If you're going through the apple upgrade program you'll be able to reserve the phone when pre orders come out on apple.com on Friday. Only reason you would have to go through T Mobile is if your planning on buying the phone through T mobile themselves.

7. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I use Jump On Demand though T-Mobile. I can only upgrade through the phone or store.

8. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I would be using TMobile's jump on demand program so that would be directly through TMobile I assume as going through the apple store app will not connect to TMobile like it has done in the past for me on ATT but looking for others who have done the pre-order process as a TMobile customer.

Not talking about the apple program at all.

9. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat. I can't imagine why T-Mobile is the only carrier requiring us to have to go to the store in person. If they upgrades work that way, it means a pain every year.

10. bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

Since last year was when it was first introduced, all the carriers were the same - you ordered online and chose the upgrade program in-store (there was no online enrollment).

11. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

So you do you have to call in the middle of the night and do this every year or do you go in the next day and pre-order or just wait to call?

Thanks for the feedback.

12. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yeah... then online orders opened up like a week later (or so). They did get plenty of stock though.

14. bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

This isn't for JoD. Speaking specifically about the iPhone Upgrade Program.

15. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Yup. Last year.... called in at Midnight (Pacific Time)

16. Bizzle79 macrumors newbie

Bizzle79

Got it.

17. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Good to know, thanks!

18. bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

I just chatted with Apple. If you

a) Enrolled in the iPhone Upgrade Program
    b) Are on T-Mobile

You will

a) Not be able to upgrade online or over the phone
    b) You will have to wait until phones are in-store to upgrade on T-Mobile

That's just retarded. Going to choose ATT and then change carriers on pickup.

19. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    You answered my questions. Ok. So I'm honestly probably going to stay with VZW now lol.

20. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

That doesn't make any sense at all for the TMobile details. I hope they are wrong!

21. Carlos22Dayday macrumors 6502

Oh okay, in that case you would have to go through T Mobile over the phone or in store. Apple only lets you pre order through T mobile if you are buying the phone full price.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You're wanting to upgrade through Apple directly? You don't need to contact T-Mobile for that.

23. bizack thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, right. I think someone else was mentioning contacting T-Mobile - not me. I was speaking about upgrading my iPhone 6s Plus, which I purchased using the iPhone Upgrade Program. Apparently you can't upgrade/pre-order to an iPhone 7 online if you're on T-Mobile.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Never tried online. Do they make you input all of your credentials? I'd be just as happy with any other model tbh. Don't even see why Apple needs or wants this info. Everything they send through said program is unlocked anyway.

Not that me asking questions likely helps. Just curious though.

25. AppleChic76 macrumors 6502a

AppleChic76

That's what I did, too. Order went fine; was a nightmare in the days right after. Hope it's easier this year.