Upgrade RAM and HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sean256, Jun 15, 2009.

1. sean256 macrumors newbie

I am going to buy the 13 inch MBP with 2.26 GHz for college.

Can anyone tell me where to buy reliable, good quality RAM (upgrade to 4GB) and a ~250 GB HD (preferably comparable to the one in the 2.53 Ghz model)? I hope I can save some money.

Also, what kind to buy for each. I am familiar with upgrading desktop PCs but have no clue what works with the new MBPs.

Thanks.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

newegg.com

DDR3-1066 204pin SO-DIMM RAM
    any 2.5" SATA hard disk (9.5mm in height).

3. sean256 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

4GB Mushkin RAM at Newegg for $52.99 after $10 rebate and free shipping is the best price on Newegg.

The Seagate 7k320 7200.4 at $74.99 at Newegg is the newest 320GB HDD available, the fastest, and the lowest power (0.05% more energy than a 5400 RPM HDD).

The Seagate 7k250 7200.4 is also new but at $69.99 you might as well go for the 320GB model in my opinion.

It's also a nice bonus to get 2% cash back.

5. relativist macrumors regular

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Sure if you have the cash and have the need for that much capacity. (Not to mention the capability to backup that much space with an external).

7. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know any good suppliers in the UK?

8. mach0024 macrumors newbie

another HDD upgrade question

Hi!

I got a question concering HDD upgrade. I plan to buy a Macbook Pro 15 within the next couple of days. I have already ordered another hdd to replace the one which comes from apple.

As it is my first Mac I was wondering:

1. Shall I start the mac with the built-in harddrive or exchange the drives before I turn it on the first time? (I would prefer exchanging first...) right?

2. As it will be a new hdd, I guess it is not formatted for mac...? is that a problem?

3. After exchanging the hdds I guess I have to boot with the OSX CD. Does it clean install osx automatically and do a format of the new drive?

4. Concerning the old drive? Can I sell it as an "empty" drive or do I have to mention that osx is preinstalled on the drive?

to sum up... what to do first? what about format(ting)? what about the "old" drive?

thanks a lot for your help. Hope there is someone who has done this before.

Chris

9. Sir SpemzR macrumors 6502

is there anyway i can upgrade my HD and keep my programs without reinstalling? and how would i be able to get my files over to the new HD?

i cant re install because my sis bf gave my macbook to a friend of his to install the adobe collection into my macbook and so theyre 300 miles away so its not that easy

also what are the specific details i need to pay attention when buying a new RAM for my Version 1 Black Macbook?

10. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Me too :)

eV

11. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

1. Just switch out the drive before turning it on the first time. Put in the new drive and start up from your install DVD by holding C.

2. Not a problem. Format with your install DVD under the utility menu to disk utility. Format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with Options-GUID partitioning.

3. See previous answer. Once formatted, do your clean install. (Don't install things you don't need like extraneous printer drivers or languages. After your installation is complete, go on to your second DVD in order to install iLife and other apps you may want.

4. You want to sell your old HDD? You won't get much for it as it is used. You might as well keep it. Use it for backups or sell it to a friend or something along those lines. FYI, it's good to have your original HDD in case of repair because you don't have to worry about losing your data. Just put in the original and keep your good drive while being repaired.

Adobe Creative Suite is screwy in terms of installations. Cloning across to the new drive should work though. If not, you still have the original. Obviously, to do any kind of transferring you need an external HDD enclosure for 2.5" HDDs. This is something you should have anyway to do backups.

As for RAM, which Blackbook do you have? Go to About This Mac-More Info... and copy/paste the Model Identifier. If it is a Core Duo, your max is 2GB. If it is a Core 2 Duo you can install 4GB. If it is the very first C2D model it uses 3.3GB but you can install 4GB. After that, you need 200-pin PC2-5300 DDR2-667MHz RAM for notebooks. Try Newegg. For 2GB you should buy this set for $24.99. For 4GB buy this set for $43.99.

12. Sir SpemzR macrumors 6502

Model Identifier: MacBook1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo

so i can only get 2gb max?

wat exactly does this do?

13. mach0024 macrumors newbie

thanks

@brop52

Thanks for that. Sounds good and I will try it this way. I guess it would also make sense to keep the hdd to keep the guarantee in case of returning.

Thanks again and cheers

14. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Yes the max is 2GB for the original Macbook. An enclosure holds your hard drives and is something you can use to swap drives. It's also something you should use for Time Machine backups. It is up to you how much you want to spend. This is probably the best bet and empty enclosures are on the bottom right. You can also buy cheap enclosures that are USB only. Just check out Newegg.

15. Phatferd macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'm going to be buying a 13" MBP soon and to save money install my own HD and RAM (whenever needed). Does this void the warranty(applecare) on the entire machine or just with the HD and RAM?

Also, does anyone have a good tutorial with pictures on how to swap the HD out?

16. Sir SpemzR macrumors 6502

so thats my best option, and the brand is legit right?
    thanks for the help brop52, i appreciate it :D

17. Sir SpemzR macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hGKLtPSULk

18. richard.martin macrumors newbie

www.crucial.com for memory - easy, fast, cheap etc.... I always buy the least mem from Apple/Dell and then the rest for crucial.... saves loads... and I don't work for them.....

19. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I had bought 4 GB of DDR3 for my uMB but then I exchanged for the 2.53 uMBP. I bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146878 and briefly had it in my uMB and it worked great. Now I have no use for them. It was 70$ you can pm me if you want to buy them at less than that. Like I said, hardly used and they work just fine. Save even more!

20. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I just bought 4GB RAM from Crucial.com and it's lovely. It was only $62 as well.

21. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Does not void the warranty unless you break something. You just need to have the right torx screw driver for the little HDD balancers to swap them and a good small phillips for the rest of the screws.

No problem. Make sure you use the ebates link to get to Newegg as you'll get 2% back plus $5.

22. jcpenn macrumors member

I always got the accessories from macsleas, OWC.

23. Nekobasu macrumors newbie

I replaced my hard drive last night and ran into this. I couldn't remove them so I had to run down to the hardware store to pick one of these up. For anyone who cares, you'll need a size #6 torx. (Mine was $3.99 at Sears Hardware.)

24. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I had the same issue when I got my Macbook back in October. I had to use the old drive for a few days until I got the torx.

25. vonion macrumors newbie

Hd

I suggest you use the Hitachi 5K500.B

It is the original model of MBP, this generation improve a lot for its high reliable and very low power consumption(1.4w).

And quiet & calm.

Cost me $89 for 500GB @ Newegg.