upgrade RAM/memory

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iCrizzo, Jun 22, 2011.

1. iCrizzo macrumors regular

iCrizzo

I was just curious where a good place to buy memory for a summer 2010 27" iMac would be. I want to upgrade to 8gb of memory.. I have checked on Apple.com and they want $400.. I know other places sell it, was just curious if I purchased from a place like Newegg or somewhere would it be compatible?

Thanks.

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

3. iCrizzo thread starter macrumors regular

iCrizzo

4. laflores macrumors regular

I just bought 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM for my 2011 Macbook Pro from Newegg, around $70. I'm not saying those will match your iMac, but it's worth to check because you can get good prices.

5. iCrizzo thread starter macrumors regular

iCrizzo

6. iCrizzo thread starter macrumors regular

iCrizzo

Never mind.. I thought I had to take the entire thing apart.. just watched the video... that is easy!!

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

it is why i sent it to you for encouragement!

8. duteberta macrumors newbie

duteberta

I bought my ram from crucial.com. Doubled oem from 8 to 16gb. Super easy install. They have a cool wizard that guides you to get perfect match.

9. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

It is easy. Just make sure you push firmly to seat the modules properly. It requires pressure.

One suggestion. You said you want to upgrade to 8GBs. I assume you plan to add two 2GB modules so you have a total of four.

The only downside of this approach, is that if you decide you want to upgrade later, you have to throw away two 2GB modules. I hate that!

I preferred to add two 4 GB modules in the empty slots for a total of 12 GBs. Should last me a while, and you can never have too much memory. The difference in cost is very small considering the total cost of the iMac.

Even at 12 GBs, I'm seeing a small amount of Page Outs, so it's using all the memory I bought. Nothing is wasted.

10. iCrizzo thread starter macrumors regular

iCrizzo

Awesome.. that was going to be next question, that will most likely be the route I go. Thanks for the info, I was hoping this would work.

11. sauer228 macrumors member

12. cardinals1989 macrumors newbie

2011 MBP 4 or 8 GB??

Usual tasks: email, word processing, web browsing. I frequently watch HD videos (netflix, youtube). Don't game, but I won't rule it out for the life of this system.

I'm looking at either option for the 15 in. pro, is 8 GB overkill?