upgrade removes settings?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cplindem, Sep 15, 2009.

1. cplindem macrumors newbie

In the past when I have gone through with one of the updates for my 3G I have lost a lot of settings etc. for various apps. I am currently on software 3.0. Will this happen again if I upgrade to 3.1 now?

2. cplindem thread starter macrumors newbie

come on people. You all know the answer to this since you probably just upgraded yourselves.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've not lost any settings during an upgrade. It might help if you state specifically what apps are being affected.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you update via Restore then yes you will loose settings. However, using the update button in iTunes keeps your settings and data intact.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's only if you restore as new, not from a backup.

About the only problem you could have during an upgrade is the app no longer works, since it's not compatible (like when OS 3.0 came out). I'm still waiting for one of my camera apps to work.

6. cplindem thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, that's odd. I'm almost positive that during the last major software update/upgrade (I believe it was 3.0), I lost the settings for my apps. It was not a restore. Specifically, it was literally all my apps. For example though: Yelp lost all of my bookmarked restaurants. AllRecipes lost all of my favorite recipes. What's On lost all of my favorite shows. Etc. etc. All the apps were rearranged on my springboard.

I guess I should just look at this as an anomoly and assume that I'll be fine with the latest update.

Thanks for the responses.

7. chgojcs macrumors member

No problem.
    Next time, don't get so pissy.