Upgrade screen to antiglare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karohan, Feb 3, 2011.

1. karohan macrumors 6502

I currently have the high res screen on my Macbook Pro. I'm kind of wishing that I got the antiglare screen (unfortunately its past the 14 day period I can return it in). Is there anyway I can go to the Apple Store and upgrade the screen by paying the difference? I have Apple Care, so I'm not sure if that would make them more willing.

What happens if some issue occurs with my laptops screen that would require a new LCD assembly to be put in? I could a request the antiglare screen then (and pay the difference obviously). I mean the normal cost of the screen would be covered by Apple Care anyway.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

lol :)

3. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, I'm glad you caught my drift. But honestly, I was asking the question if the screen had genuinely broke too. If I would be able to upgrade in that scenario, I was going to (sarcastically?) ask what was the tamest way to break my screen =D

But that's why I feel like if I have Apple Care, I should be allowed to upgrade by just paying the difference, so it prevents people from purposefully breaking their screens (assuming they let me upgrade in the first place).

4. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Are you saying you've got a Hi-Res screen that's also Glossy?

I was under the impression that ALL Hi-Res screens come Anti-Glare by default. :confused:

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

No, they come hi-res in both options...

Attached Files:

6. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

That is correct, so I have a Hi-Res screen that is glossy.

7. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for setting me straight. I'm thinking if I had the Hi-Res Glossy, that would be ideal
    because then I'd have the crispness of the Hi-Res along with the durability of the glass panel.

8. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Really doubt it, you might be able to get an exchange because its still so new but they arent going to switch the display because you want Antiglare.

10. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Take it from me, you don't want Anti-Glare; they have to be constantly babied because they scratch real easy.

You've got to make sure that screen sleeve is on every time before you close it, or the keys will scratch the screen.

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

They dont need babied, they just cant be abused...take care of your computer and you wont scratch the screen and you SHOULDNT be touching the screen anyway.

Also the keys dont touch it because the anti-glare is recessed over 1/16" from the face which is another 1/16" from the top of the unibody because of the rubber trim.

12. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Woah, really? I didn't know that...they can scratch that easily? How do the keys even get into contact with the screen?

13. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by not abused? I'm in college, so I'll be travelling around a lot with it in a sleeve in my backpack.

14. Merkava_4, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

You'll need a CoolShield screen sleeve if you go with the Matte/Anti-Glare.

The first time you close it with the sleeve on and then open it back up, you'll see the impression in the material that the keys made.

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

How would you scratch the screen anyway? Its protected when it is closed and the keys DO NOT touch the screen and when it is opened you shouldnt be touching the screen anyway, its not a touchscreen so keep your grubby fingers off of it and dont use pens, pencils, etc to point at things on the screen either.

And I really wonder how many of the people telling you the keys hit actually have the anti-glare screen, I have it and I have a sleeve from Tucano that came with the keyboard cover. When I put the keyboard cover in and transport the computer it ends up to one side so it is obviously not touching anything. The screen is NOT FLUSH like the glossy.

16. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

My, that sure is a nice shiny screen you have there, it'd be a shame if anything were to happen to it...:rolleyes:

17. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I find it hard to believe that Apple would make a computer screen that would be scratched simply by closing the notebook. Come on now. As for normal use, I assume keeping keys, knives, pens, and pencils away from a computer screen would be common sense.

18. DuffCal macrumors newbie

ha ha ha!!!

19. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Game ova

20. mark28 macrumors 68000

Haha, do you even have an Anti-glare screen? :rolleyes:

It's still 100% perfect my screen and i'm not using a protection.

21. mark28 macrumors 68000

The keys don't get in contact with the screen. He's just spreading some BS.

22. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

How do you know they don't come in contact with the screen?

How do you explain the imprint of the keys into the screen sleeve?

23. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Well measure it. Check how much your keys stick out of the case and then check how far away the panel is. I have an Anti Glare. Never used any kind of sleeve in between keys and panel and it is flawless. There is plenty of space between both.
    I don't know how thick your sleeve is or what you do with you closed MBP maybe sit on it but without anything but air in between there is air in between.
    Maybe you sleeve is too thick or heavy that it imprints the keys some way.

Who knows just throw away this damn sleeve it is useless. Maybe those with a glass screen need it because there keys are much closer to the glass and if they happen to sprinkle some silicon carbide on the keys the glass might get scratches.
    Use your brain many people on this forum and everywhere are way to worried for their shiny little toys. They want to protect it from any possible danger even pink invisible creatures that attack MBPs from the sky and similar stuff.

24. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Only reason I would want anti-glare is for the silver bezel on the screen. The black bezel was cool when I didn't have my MacBook but now its just getting annoying and I feel like I'm playing with a little iPod touch :rolleyes:. Probably why I really dug the MacBook Air....

25. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

A screen condom... Never thought of trying that.

Never hurts to be safe I guess :p