iPhone 8(+) Upgrade SE to IPhone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Donfor39, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Any advice as considering upgrading SE 32gb to IPhone 8 64gb.
    As I cannot honestly justify X and I'm slightly against face i.d./swipe up etc (though I haven't seen x yet)
    Anyway on reviewing 8 with glass format/wireless charging etc.
    Is SE to 8 a worthy upgrade feature wise
    Certainly cost wise 8 is much more acceptable as I don't want a 1K+ mobile (that's just me though)
    As SE recycle is seriously dropping fast-maybe now is a decent time to recycle and pay a small deficit

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

8 is a great phone with many upgrades compared to the SE. Personally I prefer the screen size over the SE along with the handful of upgrades. The 8 will also handle future updates for longer than the SE. SE is still a great phone and I still use my 6S as a backup. It actually does everything my X does so upgrading for me was just because I wanted something new and didn’t have anything to do with the performance

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There are quite a few advantages of upgrading to the iPhone 8 including wireless charging, True tone display, camera, processor improvements, with amuch higher resolution display, which the iPhone SE Lacked. I would say two other significant features would be the water resistance rating and the stereo speakers are much improved over the iPhone SE.

4. Donfor39, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018

Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 65816

Donfor39

As my SE recycle is going to cost one off 200 u.k. pounds approx as year 1 of 2 year contract.
    Is upgrade to 8 worthy of early SE upgrade
    I can re claim 73 from SE recycle.
    One off loss of 130 u.k. pounds approx.

5. golfnut1982 macrumors regular

golfnut1982

I did last week. I ordered it from the Apple Store and got it on St Patrick's Day. First off I am perfectly happy with the SE. A great little phone, fits well in my life and what I use it for. But I I was seriously thinking about my next phone and wanted to weigh the pros and cons. I ultimately decided to pull the trigger due to a number of decisions that worked for me. My reasons were as follows:
    1. I had a substantial Apple Store gift card to use. Who wouldn't want an iPhone 8 for $200?
    2. I was not interested in the X. To heavy and way too expensive for me.
    3. I wanted the home button still.
    4. I wanted the Sim Free version with the Qualcomm Modem to use anywhere. I did not want the intel one. Not one particular reason, but a few. I'm just generally pissed that these two companies can't work out their differences. Two great products together is best for all of us. Qualcomm is tops in this market for a reason. BTW, I'm on AT&T and it's great.

So those are the reasons. Now here is how I felt when I got it:
    1. Wow its fast!
    2. Great pics and sound!
    3. Beautiful screen and true tone!
    4. Wireless charging and Bluetooth 5!
    5. Quite a few upgrades coming from the SE.
    6. Damn, this thing is BIG, I got two weeks to make up my mind. What am I going to do???
    7. One week in, I'm sold. The SE is nice, feels great in the hand, but damn, this final version of this design is the best, RIP to this form factor. I own the best of each version (4s, SE, 8).
    8. Now when I look at the SE, its visually much smaller, and I'm glad to have the larger screen. The + is way too big for my needs. I did get used to the lager size both visually and physically.
    9. So if I had to choose, I'm sticking with the 8 over the SE. Even if they make the SE 2, it may probably lose some of the features I mentioned above that I still like.

Hope this helps...

6. osta.doc, Mar 24, 2018

osta.doc macrumors member

I have the SE & the 8, and really like them both. But, the 8 is FAR better in my opinion. Front camera and OIS is worth an upgrade, in my mind.

But I wouldn’t sell my SE. I may end up using both at some point. I’ve only had the 8 for a few weeks now.

7. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Some amazing detailed SE/8 reviews.
    I have enjoyed my SE past year approx though been reading a lot of new iphone products currently and very near future.
    Enough, though SE was from 6 as I wanted to avoid X initial launch due to cost.
    Though I think I could enjoy a recent upgrade to 8
    A few nice 8 screen features mentioned-some of which I enjoy via ipadpro10.5
    I'ts slightly disappointing that I'm having to change network providers as the savings are considerable though that's competition!
    If I choose 8 then it's for 2 years no early SE2 upgrades.
    I'd rather get a small return on SE rather than 0 at contract end early 2019.
    1 final question -I understand 8 is glass body-does it have the 'solid' feel of SE as I didn't like the 'flmsy' feel of 6

8. osta.doc macrumors member

Very solid feel, an amazing device, at least to me.

9. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

Pretty much my sentiments exactly. I have a SE and an 8 and I have many times gone back to the SE from the 8 as it is easier for me one handed. Also I still love the 3.5mm jack.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The glass body on the iPhone 8 is very solid. It also gives you a substantial grip in your hand compared to the aluminum, which can be slippery at times. I also feel that the glass body on the iPhone 8 won’t show scratches as much as the iPhone SE would because of the color on the aluminum.

11. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Thanks All who are convincing me to upgrade to 8.
    Nice solid feel comments.
    Have to mention SE has been indestructible at times when it has slipped from my fingers -bouncing of laminate floor,unmarked at all-I'ts been a fun little device at times with excellent room to room wifi.
    Only 6 was a slight let down at times-flimsy with poor wifi at times though screen was very nice particularly for Sky Q t.v.
    Allow me some time today to order 8 then arrange SE. Re cycle

12. Royksöpp, Mar 24, 2018

Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Just wait until the March event. The SE 2 is rumored to make its debut. That's what I'm interested in.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2018 ---
    Absolutely none of this is true. Glass will show scratches as easily as metal, especially on Space Grey. In terms of grip both are slippery. Also, one drop and it's game over for the 8 unless you have a good case. And yes, I have owned both. I had the 8 for less than a week and I returned it and kept my 6s. I'm holding out for the X2 or the SE2. I prefer sequels.

13. Relentless Power, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There is not going to be an SE 2 during next Tuesday’s educational Keynote. If anything, there might be a revised Apple Pencil or low-budget iPad, but the SE2 is not the focus of an educational keynote and Apple is not even live streaming the event, which is further indicative this is not a hardware event for the most part. If anything, it would be selfish to introduce an iPhone that has no relation to an educational keynote.

Your entire post is a subjective, opinionated stance and is based on how someone treats their phone. I can tell you right now I don’t use a case and I have no scratches on the glass of my iPhone at all. In Which case I also disagree with you being glass is more reflective and won’t show scratches unless under certain lighting, where the aluminum can easily identify scratches because of the contrast in color.

Again, subjective. I could make the counter argument that I could drop my iPhone 8 and it may not break depending on angle, type of surface it was dropped on and overall impact. Not every iPhone will have the same reaction if it’s dropped. All iPhones are generally breakable in one sense or another.

Glass generally has better contact in the hand over aluminum does. It Also depends if your hands are dry or moist as well.

14. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Okay I get, you love your 8. Now take a deep breath and relax.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’m just refuting the fact what you said was ‘false’ what I previously posted, which indeed it was not. I want to reiterate everything you said was opinionated, its entirely based on how one user is not the same as the next on Someone handles their iPhone.

16. pika2000 macrumors 601

I have the 6S, which shares the internals with the SE. Personally I will be waiting for the 2018 iPhones to see if I need to upgrade. The 8 is no doubt a great phone, but IMO we are at the point where every incremental updates are less and less of a jump.

From the SE to the 8, you will get a second gen touchID, better front facing camera, and wireless charging. Are those worth the extra money? Personally, no. You still have the same amount of RAM (2GB), roughly similar back camera, and the A9 still performs well on iOS 11. The 8 plus IMO is a better upgrade as at least you’re getting the dual camera and all its extras like portrait and lighting modes, at the expense of size.

Thus to me, I want the features on the X on my next iPhone without the early adopter price. Thus I’m waiting for this September to see what Apple has to offer.

17. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Excellent objection handling comments -Respect Relentless Power+Royksop
    A lot of sound thoughts and advice lots of which makes sense.
    I have to be honest and state I'm not waiting on Face I.D. Or any particular X features though maybe oled is nice.
    Since considered 8 recycle if I am to purchase, and 8 is currently offering a substantial trade in at least before the next wave of I devices are launched.
    Apple seem to have almost every route covered, I think 8 will be nice for maybe 2years and then if I have to recycle re coup some costs.

18. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Both of our posts came from
    opinions or personal preferences. The op needs to hear the pros and cons based on people's experiences with the device. There is no right or wrong opinion. Perhaps false wasn't the best word to use. I still disagree with you, so let's just leave it at that.

19. geesus macrumors 6502

geesus

I took the same upgrade path and couldn't be happier. I had resisted a bigger phone for years (I went to the SE from a 5) but the 8 really isn't as unwieldy as I was expecting. If anything it feels 'lighter' in your pocket, although I'm guessing it isn't, and the thinner profile is appreciated. definitely feels superiorly constructed too, which is understandable given the price difference.

It took me a while to adjust to the home button though. Feels like a completely different species to the one on the SE.

20. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I went from a se to an X. I know you didn't want an X but I got mine as a gift from my husband for Christmas. I am still stunned at the difference size wise in the display. I never realized the screen display on the se was no bigger than a credit card till I had the two side by side. I still like my se though as it is a sweet little phone. I am glad you like your 8. Congratulations.

21. Donfor39, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Thanks All some network providers objection handling great competion,
    I've since ordered Silver iPhone 8 64gb to arrive tomorrow afternoon.
    Nice that I didn't have to change provider at all staying with O2 as they've pricematched competitors.
    I'll prob order a qi wireless charger via Amazon anything I need to consider as they seem very inexpensive upto slightly expensive.
    Managed to claim 130 UK pounds recycle from a 3rd party site-not bad for my <month SE.

22. golfnut1982 macrumors regular

golfnut1982

Anker's new Anker PowerWave 7.5W wireless chargers look promising...

23. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Class device- 36.99 u.k. via amazon- I want one only days away could have this ordered for next weekend delivery.
    Thanks I thought I was going slightly mad with choice of QI chargers.
    Anker is smart modern and light coloured what I need.

24. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And Anker is Made for iPhone (MFI) Regulated with their charging accessories. Very good company and reliable products. Highly recommend.

25. Donfor39 thread starter macrumors 65816

Donfor39

IPhone 8 delivered and currently charging to full power
    I'm shattered after drive to couriers after work
    As someone else mentioned the home button is very different from other iPhones-feels as though the back panel is being pressed.
    Nice glass feel thoug
    Anker QI will get ordered for wireless charging
    Run out of time tonight-11.2.6-11.3 pb6 to install
    SE deinstalled etc ready for recycle-thats a quality smaller device -reliable.
    Skyq t.v viewing is sharp via 8-almost watch when 8 is flat for charging-nice viewing angles-impressive.
    Nice to type on a slightly larger keyboard again -very fast.
    No more I device upgrades for a few years-then I'll consider if and how technology has improved for my needs.
    Didn't realise 1st step of SE de install was to unpair Apple Watch!-then SE info removal
    Fun as I only had one sim and some swapping to do between Se_8
    (No new sim yet as I only ordered 8 last night)
    Can't beleive how fast Apple products have become-might get to the point where their too fast for me in later years.