Upgrade SSD and Battery MBP 2010 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kity92, Oct 13, 2018.

1. kity92 macrumors newbie

kity92

Hi everyone i have a mbp 2010 i5 cpu 8gb ram and 500 hdd. its work good but i think not good enough im not a gamer or coder im just surfing on the internet and watching youtube etc check mail and office things. when i surfing sometimes i have laggy chrome and im thinking should i upgrade my hdd to sdd for performance. The second question i had dead battery and i took it now im using without battery and i heard that its effect mac performance. should i buy a new one? that's all my questions i ll be happy if u reply this post.

2. Larry D macrumors newbie

Larry D

--- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2018 ---
    I have the same computer (typing on it now) and upgraded the battery, hard drive to ssd and the memory, now it is like a brand new computer and is so much faster and more efficient. I bought all the components from OWC macsales. Then I took the computer with all the components to Ubreakifix and for $99.00 they installed all the new parts including a fresh High Sierra OS. It is now an amazing computer... You should do the same and you will love your Mac again...

3. kity92 thread starter macrumors newbie

kity92

thank you, buddy, for good precious advise. but same time I have kernel problem you know gpu panic mac closes suddenly and I'm thinking its worth it upgrade or buy a new.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP --

If the 2010 MBP is in good shape, it makes sense to upgrade the internal drive to an SSD, and also to replace the battery while "you're in there".

My advice:
    You DON'T need to spend lots on the SSD, nor do you need to buy a large one.
    500gb will do fine.
    I'd suggest Crucial or Sandisk drives.

I'd also suggest that you get something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd

You can use it to "prep and test" the new SSD -BEFORE- you install it, and you can use the adapter/dongle to connect the old HDD afterwards.

IF your current OS install is doing ok, you could use CarbonCopyCloner to "clone over" your OS from the HDD to the SSD -- fastest and easiest way to get going.
    CCC is FREE to download and use for 30 days, so doing it this way will "cost you nothing" out-of-pocket.

You will also need:
    - Phillips #00 driver
    - TORX T-6 driver
    I -think- you also need a special driver to undo the screws holding in the battery (sorry, I don't have the driver number close at the moment)
    Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved.
    It's a VERY easy procedure.

RE the battery:
    Don't "cheap out" on it. Some 3rd-party batteries are ok, but many others are junk.
    It's really a crapshoot.
    Don't expect any replacement battery to perform as well as did the factory-original (re the time it takes from "full charge" to "empty"). They almost never do.

One last bit of advice:
    STOP USING Chrome if you're using it.
    It's a "resource hog".
    And do you really prefer google gathering all that info on where you go?

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

Those are good upgrades, but they will not fix a hardware problem with your GPU.
    See this thread:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-mid-2010-gpu-panic-fixed-random-restarting.2133554/

You have a choice of fixing the GPU hardware problem and then doing the upgrades or moving on to something newer. Spending the money on the upgrades would be a waste of money if you do not address the GPU hardware problem.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Hmmm...
    I think Coastal is right about the GPU panics (I didn't notice that when I prepared my reply above).

If you have a 15" or 17" MBP that has "GPU problems", it's probably not worth fixing any more.
    Time to start shopping for a replacement...

7. kity92 thread starter macrumors newbie

kity92

many thanks for the reply, yes I said before I have gpu panic and I checked on the internet how is the solution. The real solution is to change the capacitor on motherboard. I solved my problem by mbp gpu fix and gfxcardstatus but these are not a permanent solution. I think I should sell it and rebuy a used mbp 2011 or 2012.

@CoastalOR

8. technano macrumors member

If you are looking to upgrade to a used macbook, I suggest that you get the MacBook Pro 2012. At least, at the moment they still run the latest OS X Mojave, fully supported by Apple. Whereas the MacBook Pro 2011 are not supported.

Alternatively, you would go for the new MacBook Pros,