Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
I called aT&T to activate my iPhone on a different line, the person said I was good to go. I turn the phone on and it tells me the number will be activated on the number I used to upgrade so I canceled and turned it off. Did the upgrade swap go wrong? Is the other person's sim deactivated now?

johnlandino

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
having the same problem. ive been on hold with att for an hour now. they said its an itunes issue and theyre trying to transfer me to an apple rep. this is rediculous!

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I called aT&T to activate my iPhone on a different line, the person said I was good to go. I turn the phone on and it tells me the number will be activated on the number I used to upgrade so I canceled and turned it off. Did the upgrade swap go wrong? Is the other person's sim deactivated now?

Maybe it didn't propagate through he system yet? Please keep us updated, as I have a similar situation looming when my phone arrives. My wife is at work, so I can't fry her sim before she gets home!

bellaisa

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
this iwll not end well? i am in the same situation, will be going to ATT store after work if this is the case with calling 611.

alvarez16

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
this iwll not end well? i am in the same situation, will be going to ATT store after work if this is the case with calling 611.

Please keep us updated on this as I am in the same position and will be calling AT&T as soon as I receive my phone to swap.

Thanks

mode360

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
I'm having the same problem, the number that I'm upgrading the phone is not the same number that it's saying I am...it's one of the number in my family plan but not the one I'm upgrading the iPhone to.

neworleans-7

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
Yeah I'm trying to have the phone working on my line as well but if I go through the setup it seems like I'll deactivate my relative's phone (she's in another state) which would be a big headache to correct. I guess I'll have to call up AT&T.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Damn, I can't believe I didn't think about this before. We have a family plan on Verizon with 5 phones, only one was eligible for upgrade and it wasn't mine. We ordered the 4S on the line that was eligible and was planning to do a ESN swap against my number.

So am I understanding correctly that the SIM the phone comes with will be pre-programmed against the number we did the upgrade on and I will need to go to a Verizon store to get a new SIM and have it programmed?

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
Maybe the servers are overloaded. I'm just going to wait and try again in an hour to see if the changes went through.

bellaisa

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
I'll assume its a server issue on their end, a lot of AT&T customers aren't able to activate their phone right now from what I've read on this board.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Damn, I can't believe I didn't think about this before. We have a family plan on Verizon with 5 phones, only one was eligible for upgrade and it wasn't mine. We ordered the 4S on the line that was eligible and was planning to do a ESN swap against my number.

So am I understanding correctly that the SIM the phone comes with will be pre-programmed against the number we did the upgrade on and I will need to go to a Verizon store to get a new SIM and have it programmed?

Verizon phones don't have SIM cards, we're all talking about AT&T here. In your case, the phone you ordered will be pre-programmed for the number you are upgrading. If you want that to be different you're going to have to speak with Verizon.

cassius

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011

I think you can handle the swap through the Upgrade/Transfer feature on My Verizon.

wenstinator

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
same exact situation here.

i'm using another person's line on my family plan, but she is out of country. i'm worried i might deactivate her sim in her current iPhone 4.

hopefully this can be resolved fairly simply with a call.

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
tried again, still shows the wrong number. I'll keep trying every hour or so and I'll keep you guys up to date.

Brazzy

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
I too will be going through this later today. Would it be easier for me to just stop by the AT&T store on my way home and grab a new sim with my number programmed in and swap it out in the new 4s?

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
I too will be going through this later today. Would it be easier for me to just stop by the AT&T store on my way home and grab a new sim with my number programmed in and swap it out in the new 4s?

Servers might not be overloaded by then, but that is the best way right now. If my phone isn't activated with the correct number by the time my patience runs out I will be heading to my local AT&T.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Servers might not be overloaded by then, but that is the best way right now. If my phone isn't activated with the correct number by the time my patience runs out I will be heading to my local AT&T.

Were you able to verify if you had any impact on the other phone? Is it still working even though you initiated the activation process?

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
going to try again soon. I did not verify but the other phone owner has not contacted me about having phone problems. When it shows what number it will activate under it says something like: by pressing next you will begin activating with this number blah blah blah. So, as long as I don't hit "next" the other line should stay active.

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
Yeah, because they can't! :D

Lol, I needed that.

Don't worry though we both have home phones (old school) so if there was a problem I would know. Also, I just tried again and still no luck. When the storm at my house let's up I will go get a microsim with my number and swap. Hopefully, I won't have to go get one though.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Lol, I needed that.

Don't worry though we both have home phones (old school) so if there was a problem I would know. Also, I just tried again and still no luck. When the storm at my house let's up I will go get a microsim with my number and swap. Hopefully, I won't have to go get one though.

At least you have your phone. I'm still waiting for the UPS guy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.