Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clusty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
My brother and I both have iPhone 4s, with the same plans(unlimited data), and he was eligible for an upgrade but I was not. Since he doesn't want the 4S, I used his upgrade to order mine. When I get mine tomorrow, can I just swap the SIM from my iPhone 4 into my new 4S and activate the phone? I don't see why I would need to call AT&T – frankly, the less I have to deal with them, the better.

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK
In the exact same situation with my sister and yep we can just put our sims into the new phone and all will be well.

Jasperjax

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2010
Deer Park, NY
I'm in a similar situation to the OP, since I didn't have an upgrade I used another line on my account except that line has a dumbphone attached to it. Can I swap sims & just remove the data package I added when I preordered the 4S thru OLAM or do I have to call AT&T or go into a store to do the swap?

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I'm in a similar situation to the OP, since I didn't have an upgrade I used another line on my account except that line has a dumbphone attached to it. Can I swap sims & just remove the data package I added when I preordered the 4S thru OLAM or do I have to call AT&T or go into a store to do the swap?

You cannot swap sims from a dumbphone into an iPhone 4 or 4S. The sim is a different size.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
He can go into AT&T and ask for a microsim.

Yes he can do that. But why would he want to drive to a store when he can just call AT&T and tell them to activate that brand new shiny microsim that comes in the new iPhone 4S to his dumbphone's line. Phone call is faster than driving.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Yes he can do that. But why would he want to drive to a store when he can just call AT&T and tell them to activate that brand new shiny microsim that comes in the new iPhone 4S to his dumbphone's line. Phone call is faster than driving.

This

airner

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011

This sounds like my answer. I am going from 3G to 4S, and I have heard the SIM in the 3G is not the microsim.

So I can just call and have them swap them over? That would be great.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
This sounds like my answer. I am going from 3G to 4S, and I have heard the SIM in the 3G is not the microsim.

If you ordered the 4S to replace that 3G then all you have to do is plug the iPhone into iTunes and activate it. No need to call anyone. You would only need to call if you're doing a "upgrade swap", meaning if you ordered the phone under a different line than you plan to use it on.

JLemm

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati, OH

They send you a microsim programmed to your number with the new phone

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

Calling AT&T will only work if the microsim is brand new and not preprogrammed. I know because I tried this before and the AT&T rep couldn't do it because it was previously tied to a different number.

I may have read his post wrong. Is the OP trying to activate the microsim with a different number on the plan or same? If it's same, my fault.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Calling AT&T will only work if the microsim is brand new and not preprogrammed. I know because I tried this before and the AT&T rep couldn't do it because it was previously tied to a different number.

I may have read his post wrong. Is the OP trying to activate the microsim with a different number on the plan or same? If it's same, my fault.

The phone comes with a new microsim, as long as he doesn't turn it on and activate it, they should be able to re-associate the old number to that sim. I could be wrong but I have read multiple posts alluding to this. As this is what I'm planning on doing myself. This is all being done on the same family plan.

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK
Actually I do have a question about this... Will my sister have to use the new Microsim they send with the phone or will the one she has in her iPhone 4 now continue to work if I just use my Microsim in the new 4S?

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
The phone comes with a new microsim, as long as he doesn't turn it on and activate it, they should be able to re-associate the old number to that sim. I could be wrong but I have read multiple posts alluding to this. As this is what I'm planning on doing myself. This is all being done on the same family plan.

It is already activated and there is a number tied to it. The only thing unactivated is the phone itself.

Actually I do have a question about this... Will my sister have to use the new Microsim they send with the phone or will the one she has in her iPhone 4 now continue to work if I just use my Microsim in the new 4S?

She has to use the new one.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
All is explained here:

http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Upgrade_Guide

3. UPGRADE SWAP - Can I use someone else's upgrade? Yes, this is called an "upgrade swap". If you perform this in an AT&T store, they will handle it all for you. Apple should be able to as well, but they will need to contact AT&T during the process.

If you prefer to order online, place your order for the phone using the line(s) that has an available upgrade. If this line currently has no data plan, you may need to add a data plan (just choose the cheapest as you will be removing it later.) Once the phone(s) arrive contact AT&T to let them know that you will be activating the phone(s) on another line (performing an "upgrade swap"). (If you had to add a data plan, have them remove it at this time as well.) Once AT&T has reassociated the SIM with the correct line, connect the phone to iTunes to complete the activation. DONE!

This process does not affect your unlimited data plan.

filmfanatic24

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
All is explained here:

http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Upgrade_Guide

3. UPGRADE SWAP - Can I use someone else's upgrade? Yes, this is called an "upgrade swap". If you perform this in an AT&T store, they will handle it all for you. Apple should be able to as well, but they will need to contact AT&T during the process.

If you prefer to order online, place your order for the phone using the line(s) that has an available upgrade. If this line currently has no data plan, you may need to add a data plan (just choose the cheapest as you will be removing it later.) Once the phone(s) arrive contact AT&T to let them know that you will be activating the phone(s) on another line (performing an "upgrade swap"). (If you had to add a data plan, have them remove it at this time as well.) Once AT&T has reassociated the SIM with the correct line, connect the phone to iTunes to complete the activation. DONE!

This process does not affect your unlimited data plan.

Why do you have to do this? All you have to do is swap the SIM cards, no?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The phone comes with a new microsim, as long as he doesn't turn it on and activate it, they should be able to re-associate the old number to that sim.

This is correct, I have done it as recently as three months ago when one of the people on my family plan ordered an AT&T iphone4 on a different line's upgrade. (they new something new was coming but were not interested in waiting)

When the phone arrived, before doing anything else, I called AT&T and had them do the upgrade swap so that the new SIM would be associated with the other line instead of the one that upgraded. They key is you must do this before activating anything. Once AT&T swapped things in the back end, I activated the phone and it associated to the correct line.

So for Jasperiax and TaterToT, this would be the way to go. If you activate the phone, then the # is permanently associated with the SIM and you're in for a trip to an AT&T store to get it sorted out.

Why do you have to do this? All you have to do is swap the SIM cards, no?
Only works if both SIMs are the same size; if you're using the upgrade of a line using a regular SIM you can't swap them easily. Also requires you have both phones handy since the old SIM of the upgraded line ceases to work. Not so handy if that family member is off at college in a different state. :)

pittman87

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I'm doing an upgrade swap as well. My question is once I take the SIM out of the 4S and put it in the person's 4 I'm swapping with, will this deactivate their old SIM card?

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK
So for Jasperiax and TaterToT, this would be the way to go. If you activate the phone, then the # is permanently associated with the SIM and you're in for a trip to an AT&T store to get it sorted out.

Wait so why can't I just take out the included Microsim and use the one from my current iPhone 4 with the new 4S...

elaniemay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2011
California, USA
They told me I would have to call because my husband has a iP3GS which doesn't have the microsim but my iP4 does (which is the phone he is switching to). I just plan to call when my iP4S arrives and have them walk me through it *shrugs*

Clusty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
Only works if both SIMs are the same size; if you're using the upgrade of a line using a regular SIM you can't swap them easily. Also requires you have both phones handy since the old SIM of the upgraded line ceases to work. Not so handy if that family member is off at college in a different state. :)

So if I pop my SIM into my 4S and activate it, my brother’s SIM will be deactivated? Why?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Wait so why can't I just take out the included Microsim and use the one from my current iPhone 4 with the new 4S...

As I understand it, the upgrade isn't really finalized in AT&T's systems until the new SIM is activated. I could be wrong, but if there's a risk of being in Limbo it might be best to get it sorted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.