Upgrade to 6 or 6s in the future?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natzoo, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Hi, i have an upcoming upgrade in late march. The question is, should i upgrade to the six or wait a possible month and get the 6s?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The next iPhone upgrade won't come in April..it will be September.

3. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Upgrade as soon as you are able. You'll have waited long enough.

4. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

get the 6. 6s won't be out until fall.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

6. iVegas macrumors 6502

iVegas

If it were me, I'd wait. Then you can get the new model in Sept and your upgrade will be in sync with the release cycle.

7. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

It depends on what you're upgrading from, but I would wait for the 6s. I went from the 5 to the 6 back in December. While the 6 is a better phone, the 5 was working just fine for me, and in hindsight I kind of wish I would have waited. There just wasn't enough of an overall upgrade from the 5 to the 6 to really "wow" me I guess. That isn't to say that the 6 isn't a very nice phone - it is!

If I had a 4 or 4s, I would definitely upgrade to the 6 ASAP.

But if you do get the 6 and want to upgrade to the 6s, you can always sell your 6 and buy the 6s outright. Though there would probably be a $150+ difference between what you sell the 6 for and what you buy the 6s for.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it won't be in the spring it will be in the fall.

Agreed, the decision would be heavily based on what the OP is currently using.

9. nordique macrumors 6502a

Yes, I felt the same way when I bought my 6 - to the point where I questioned for months why I spent so much money on a phone I didn't truly need.

I think the 6 is a fantastic phone - certainly worth upgrading to if one has an iphone 4 or iphone 4s, but if one has a 5S or a 5 - upgrading makes sense for some but my 2 cents, I think if one can hold off craving the bigger screen and better battery life, then the 5 and 5S suffice very well.

It might be me, but I find the 5 runs better on ios8 than it did on ios 7

@OP, the decision is really yours at the end of the day - weight the pros and cons as you see them and treat yourself to a newer phone if you desire...don't forget, there is always going to be a new phone around the corner! Once the 6S comes out, there will people deciding to get the 7 or 6S and so on...so do take that into consideration.

10. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Late-March is right at the edge of when it makes more sense to wait. By that time, Apple is ramping up for the next iOS introduction at WWDC, and the rumor mill is about to start hyping up the next iPhone.

The upgrade timing boils down to whether the 6 serves a vital function that you want now. If you really want the larger screen, NFC, Touch ID, and 64-bit platform now, and don't care to see what the 6s might add, then you should buy in March.

I went through the same dilemma a couple of Aprils ago. Buy the 5, or wait and see what the "5s" offers up. In retrospect, I'm really glad that I waited until that September, because the 5s turned out to be a great performer with potential for better longevity. Except for Apple's curveball with the 5c replacing the 5, waiting will generally give you the choice of the new model for the same price as the current model, or the current model for $100 less. Aside from the 6-month wait, both of those options put you ahead.

11. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Thank you all for your replies, but the problem is that if i wait for 7 months, and then when its time to upgrade in September i may not get the upgrade because maybe my family will say no. So if you were me would you upgrade in march or wait in September and risk loosing your upgrade, and no one wants to wait 7 months for an iPhone.

----------

Have you heard of the at&t next, why is it so bad?

12. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I would do it now just to not be stuck in the s cycle.
    Its not a bad thing but you only get a year before a complete redesign.

13. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

So ill get the 6+ on march 28 (thats my upgrade day).

14. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I'm slipping into the same boat. I have an iPhone 5 and I was due for an upgrade in early December so I got a 6+. I wasn't happy with how it fit in my front jeans pocket and then there was this issue with the screen being off-center so I sent it back. I then tried the 6 but that didn't really feel like an upgrade to me (seemed too much like the 5 regardless of new functionality). I'm now wondering if I should get the 6+ again or wait for the 6s+.

I'm not particularly excited about either 6 model but the 6+ at least has a big screen which would be something new to me. So, I think, maybe I should wait. But the thought of waiting another 8 more months for something that may disappoint even more makes me wonder. And that's *if* Apple delivers on time and I don't lose out to all the other people wanting one.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Unless you're one of those who queue outside an Apple store all night, you're probably looking at December for the 6S....and it might still have 1GB of RAM. I agree that aside from the bigger screens and in the case of the 6+, better battery life, the phones this year aren't especially impressive. Owning a 6+, I wish I had waited.

16. jovinteng macrumors newbie

I suggest you wait till Apple releases the 6s this fall. Rumors suggest that it would come with 2GB of RAM (although at this point in time we cannot really be sure), which means that the phone will be more capable of performing (not that the 6 is slow or anything). Also, it will last much longer providing that it does come with 2GB of RAM, and will run smoothly on several future iOS updates. I still have a 5, am tempted to upgrade to the 6, but will "patiently" wait for its successor.

Have a think about it, but in the end, the ultimate decision is really yours to make. Everyone here is merely stating their opinions.

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

Unless you have a 5S, I'd get the 6 (or 6+) as soon as your upgrade comes. The bigger screens are the massive upgrade from the 5 series and there isn't anything major expected from the 6S other than spec improvements.

18. technosix macrumors 6502a

I most certainly agree.

Apple's history proves the S series second generation models are vastly better than the first of a series like the 6. I can't wait to dump my iPhone 6 Plus for it's upcoming replacement.

Already rumors suggest that it won't bend or be flimsy like the one I have. It'll have a proper 2GB of ram, and iOS is bound to be debugged and working much better than iOS 8 we're stuck with now.

I'm excited about the new models coming up. Even if it seems like a long wait, it'll be a longer lasting phone.

19. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

Hyperbole alert.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I too if in your position would upgrade now not to be stuck in the 'S' cycle. The S models are better versions, but as others have said you get the re-design phone with the standard model every 2 years rather than the incremental upgrade. Do it, do it now. :p

21. techspin macrumors 6502a

Why would your family say no? If you aren't paying for it yourself, maybe you should start saving. AT&T Next is not bad. You would just pay off the entire cost of the phone over however many months you choose.

22. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Id probably wait for the 6S. Hell, actually I would probably get the 6 in march and the 6S off contract when it's released :p

I would say it depends on what you have now. If you have the 5S, I would definitely say wait for the 6S. If you have the 5, I would be more tempted not to wait and just get the 6.

Honestly it depends on how patient you can be.

----------

Lets hope that is true!

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I buy my phones outright every year, but if I was limited to a single upgrade I would want to be on the "s" cycle. They usually provide the largest jump. Yes the new phones have a redesign, but the internals do not make that large of a jump.

Look at the 5S and the 6. They look different, but perform the exact same. I bet the 6S actually has significant performance gains, mainly with RAM.

24. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

By the time you get a 6S, it may not be until Oct.-Nov. due to demand. And if you wait for the Sim-Free version, that won't be until Jan. 2016.

25. lizardofwoz macrumors regular

There is a sort of 'Golden Rule' in computers.

If you wait for technology upgrades, you will never buy anything.

There is always something bigger and better just around the corner. Buy what you need for today's requirements :)