Upgrade to i7?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lightey, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Lightey macrumors regular

So from what I've heard, Sandy Bridge is better than Nehalem for video editing, because Xeon's are used for servers, primarily, correct? So if I got a Mac Pro, and got a compatible motherboard, could I swap out the processor for a Sandy Bridge i7?
    Or is this expected in the next update?

2. goMac macrumors 603

Sandy Bridge is not socket compatible, so no.

Also not sure where you heard that information. That info is not correct. Xeon's are workstation processors, and they are not worse at video editing.

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

I think you're getting your terminology mixed up. Sandy Bridge and Nehalem are microarchitectures and Xeons (as well as Core i7's) are product lines that use Nehalem/Westmere and will be out using Sandy Bridge too.

And while Xeon's are used for servers (and workstations) that is because they have server grade features on top of normal features - it doesn't make them better or worse when it comes to video editing.

2010 Mac Pro's use Xeons with the LGA1366 CPU socket. Upcoming Sandy Bridge has been designed to use LGA1155 and LGA2011. So you can't stick an SB into a current Mac Pro.

4. Lightey thread starter macrumors regular

But I could stick this in if I ever wanted to, right?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002A6LOI4

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

Yea, you could. That's a Nehalem processor (45nm) as opposed to Westmere (32nm)... And almost completely identical to the 3.33Ghz Hexacore (W3680) you can get from Apple.

6. goMac, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

goMac macrumors 603

Yes, but if you have a just as fast Xeon, what's the point?

Also, of note, you can't run non-Xeons in a dual processor configuration. And for video, dual processors is better than one processor.

(I worked in video for a while. Xeons are better. Seriously.)

I think the confusion here is that the i7 is NOT a better chip. The Xeon is the upgrade to the i7.

7. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

If you want a Sandy bridge Mac wait for Apple to make one. If you can't wait then a Hackintosh is the next best thing.