Upgrade to iOS 8.4.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by takeapple, Jul 13, 2016.

1. takeapple macrumors newbie

Hello,

Im running iphone 5s with 8.3 os on it want to upgrade to 8.4.1, I have my reason why I don't 9.3 OS.

now I have downloaded the IOS 8.4.1 zip file open it and there is a DMG file there which is password protected.

Can not find anywhere the password and cant find anywhere the IPSW file to upgrade my phone,.

Try to change the dmg ext to IPSW did not help.

Does anyone know where I can download IPSW file only not zip nor DMG. all linked I found coming from the same source appldnld.apple.com which have does not include the IPSW instead you have a password protected DMG file.

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK.

Well, you may want to only go to 8.4.1 but Apple is only going to allow you to go to 9.3.2 if you want to update. Your reason is irrelevant to Apple.

An iDevice may only be upgraded/downgraded to a version of iOS that Apple is signing and currently that's 9.3.2 for the iPhone 5s.

Next, I'm not sure where you got this IPSW but IPSWs are easy to get and they come as IPSWs not password locked DMG files. But, it ultimately does not matter because even if you had the password to this DMG and even if there was an IPSW in there you could NOT upgrade to it.

Simply changing a three letter extension does not change a file format. If I could change Word docs to PDFs that easy I'd be ecstatic. But it doesn't work that way.

So, here is your choice. Stay on 8.3 or upgrade to 9.3.2. Those are your only options.

4. takeapple thread starter macrumors newbie

This is suck, why the care which system I use. Thanks anyway. about the IPSW they are the same I guess if it is not apple sign it come as DMG and if it apple sign it come as IPSW. if they don't want you to use these why they even bother to let you download it.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Most IPSWs are available from non-Apple sites, although Apple does provide IPSWs to developers.

The reason however that you can download IPSWs (no matter where you get them) is because when Apple IS signing them it's easier to restore to a downloaded IPSW than to wait (again) for iTunes to download the IPSW. Also, some devices are only upgradeable to a certain version and so having the IPSW for that version is easier.

As far as why does Apple care what version you use or not…well, Apple doesn't want the fragmentation you see with Android. Keeping their customers in generally the same version of iOS also cuts down on support issues.

Apple does not provide IPSWs as DMGs and signing (or not) has no bearing on whether it's a DMG or an actual IPSW. If you downloaded a DMG than you probably did not get this from a legitimate IPSW site.