Upgrade to Lion With Imac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by stevekim0ck, Jul 21, 2011.

1. stevekim0ck macrumors newbie

Is it worth it to upgrade with a brand new imac? Seems like all the features are more suited for laptops.

2. stevekim0ck thread starter macrumors newbie

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You asked if it was worth it, I said yes.

4. glemley8 macrumors newbie

My opinion is that it's not worth it unless you have a laptop or a small screen that you want to take advantage of all your screen space on. I have an iMac, and just can't convince myself that the main features of Lion are worth it. Can anyone convince me otherwise?

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have a 24" display and a 20" display on my Mac Pro, and I say, yes it is very well worth it.

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

It is worth it for a few things.

1.) iTunes is a lot faster.
    2.) Safari is a lot faster.
    3.) new wallpapers.
    4.) new look.

7. wackymacky, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Lion also has improved security features including improved address space layout randomization (ASLR) system.

This changes how applications and programs are loaded onto the memory, and where they are located in the memory. This means if I try and hack your machine can't any longer use the exploits that assumed data will be found in fixed locations, thereby improving the OS' protection against hacking. ASLR already features in Windows and Linux OS.

They have also improvbed application sandboxing. This limits the kind of interaction apps can have with the OS, with apps having to go through an approval process so they only use the parts of the OS they need to run. This makes writing malious code harder.

FileVault has been rebuild, which now allows users to encrypt an entire hard drive rather than just files while also allowing disk contents to be encrypted when the Mac is powered-off.

Now none of that is perfect and there will be vunerabilites it is an improvment.

8. biggy52 macrumors regular

I have the iMac 27" bundled with the Magic Trackpad,

Its definitely worth it,

1. Although everyone dislikes the Launchpad, i love it, especially because now i have BIG icons when i spread my fingers on the Trackpad. The Application and Dock icons were small and i had to target the mouse a little more.

2. Although they say full screen apps is an over kill on large screens, I'm absolutely love Full Screen Mail with 3 Columns filling up my entire screen. Likewise with Numbers, i have a larger workspace and nothing distracts me while working with it in FullScreen

I am quite satisfied with the upgrade on my iMac!

Give it a try, u might be surprised how much u'll enjoy it.

9. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

what does worth mean to you? for $30, seems like a no-brainer, even better if you have more than one mac.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I think Lion itself is going to be great, and for $29 is a great deal. I've been using it on a new MacBook Air. But if you're asking should you upgrade an older machine, honestly I would recommend waiting for an update or two. There are still a lot of bugs and quirks, most of them are minor but some can be really annoying (Time Machine under Lion is really flakey and nearly unusable, for example, and battery life is not as good on laptops). I've got an iMac and even though I'm using Lion on the MacBook, I'm going to wait until at least 10.7.1 to install it on the iMac.