Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cavendish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
This post synced with https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253322166

Yes, I have another linux partition on the hard disk, and no local recovery partition any more.

Last Friday, I started to the upgrade to Monterey. After a reboot, it displays a folder icon with question mark, and "support.apple.com/Mac/startup" under it.

I have tried to boot with Option key, Cmd+R, it went to internet recovery, obviously, it can't load the partition for macOS(a 800 g partition) and "First Aid" failed for that partition(disk0s2) and same(disk2s2) for target hard disk mode when connecting it to another MacBook Pro(with ThunderBolt 2 cable+3->2 adapter):

=====
Running First Aid on “” (disk2s2)

Checking file system and repairing if necessary and if possible.
Volume is already unmounted.
Performing fsck_hfs -fy -x /dev/rdisk2s2
File system check exit code is 8.
Restoring the original state found as unmounted.
File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

Operation failed…
=====

Any hope to load the partition to get some data back?

It's my first time to fail to upgrade macOS in the last 5-10 years... I should not be that confident with Apple.

Have tried to call local telephone support yesterday, but didn't resolve yet...

I think I know why fsck_hfs got called instead of fsck_apfs.

=====
sudo diskutil list /dev/disk2

/dev/disk2 (external):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme 1.0 TB disk2
1: EFI ⁨EFI⁩ 314.6 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS ⁨⁩ 749.0 GB disk2s2
(free space) 251.2 GB -
=====

Visited a local service provider yesterday, they can't give solution to fix it. Only said that I need to pay about 200$ to get the data back if possible.

Made a Ubuntu 21.10 USB bootable disk, it works fine with MacBook Pro 2015.

But on the broken MacBook Pro 2019 with T2(and Touch Bar), I can select the EFI Boot after Option boot, then it goes to black screen...

And Ubuntu 21.10 running on mbp2015 host, can't read Target Harddisk mode on mbp2019.

Is there anyone knows how to use diskutil or gpt or other tools on macOS to modify hard disk partition table, change the partition type from HFS partition to APFS Container? like fdisk/t things on Linux? Thanks a lot.

cavendish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Reactions: MrMacintoshBlog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.