Upgrade to SE or X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjohns92, Oct 15, 2017.

  1. jjohns92 macrumors newbie

    Oct 15, 2017
    I've had my 5s for just over 3 years and the only thing that is a pain is I have the 16 GB version and it's been full for like a year. I need an upgrade this year due to being out of storage, and as weird as it sounds I'm deciding between the SE or the X.

    Typically I'm not someone who always has to have the newest and best thing because I know as soon as I get something it will be "outdated" within months anyway. But this year, I've been sucked into all this iPhone X hype!

    Basically, I'm down to these two scenarios:

    1. Upgrade to the SE and hang onto it for a few years. It's on sale right now through my carrier. The 32 GB version is $180 and the 128 somewhere between $200-300. My thinking is if I upgrade to this I can wait a few years for Apple to work out any issues with the X generation phones, and give them more time to perfect it. Or maybe offer it at a cheaper price as those rumors have been going around. My intent would be after I've used the SE for 2-3 years to upgrade to whatever Apple's top line model is that year.

    2. Buy the X because I want it like a kid in a toy store. I've been following the news for like the last year! Due to the price, and as someone who doesn't upgrade frequently, I'd hang onto it for as long as possible (for me, that's until Apple no longer supports it). I'm pumped about all the new features but at the same time get freaked about carrying around a $1000 phone (dropping it, stolen, etc.)

    Thoughts/advice? Anyone else really want the X but at the same time having difficulty with thoughts of dropping 1k for a phone? My mind changes daily on this and the SE promotion ends right before the X goes up for preorder.

    My head says SE, but my D says X.
  2. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020


    Feb 15, 2015
    Why would your D have to do with anything?
  3. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

    Apr 21, 2004
    You only live once get the X.

    For some reason I was bummed about the X but I’m sure people will love the phone
  4. FunkyTang macrumors 6502a

    Sep 16, 2008
    According to this chart, No.

    Opinion of the iPhone X based on which iPhone you have now.

    4 & 4s: There's a new iPhone?

    5, 5c & 5s: I thought I had the big iPhone.

    SE: Still waiting for the SE 2

    6: Mine is still working

    6+: Maybe I'll get a new battery. My screen is big.

    6s: Mine is pretty fast

    6s+: Keeping my headphone jack.

    7: Moving up in screen size a notch

    8: Hate the Ears!

    7+ & 8+: I already have the big screen, without a notch
  5. iSayBoourns Suspended


    Sep 15, 2017
    If you have the money to comfortably get the X and you like what the X has to offer, I’d say get the X. As you’ve said, you’re one who will hang onto a phone for their supported lifespan. The X lifespan will be a long time and most certainly much longer than the SE (probably by at least 2 years.) So when considering the SE, consider the purchase of two phones vs one (because SE will be dropped in support before the X and need to upgrade again. But that’s of course if thats how to approach upgrades. IE no longer supported by the latest iOS = instant upgrade.)

    Does the sum of two upgrades = more or less than an X?
  6. protoxx macrumors 6502a


    Oct 10, 2013
    The little head usually makes bad decisions.
    SE is a 5s with 6s internals. 2 generation upgrade.
    8/8+/X 4 generations upgrade.
  7. JustJoshua macrumors member

    Oct 23, 2016
    I went from a 4s to a lg g3 to iPhone SE and couldn’t be happier. I’m not smart enough to speak on bugs of the X versions but I know first hand the SE I have is reliable and takes care of everything I need a phone for.
  8. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    The X is $$$ and will be very difficult to get for the first few months. The SE seems like the way to go, but I’m also not as excited about the X as you are.
  9. lordofthereef macrumors G5


    Nov 29, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Be honest. You just wanted to spell SE X with iPhone models in an Applemforuk, didn’t you?
  10. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

    Jul 19, 2015
    SE is a great device and runs well on iOS 11.
  11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Jul 12, 2016
    That's the biggest thing, is the availability of the iPhone X and the uncertainty of when somebody can actually get one. But if the shipping date was Elongated, then I would consider other options if someone didn't want to wait.
  12. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Wow, you have two options on the polar opposite of the spectrum.

    The thing with the SE, is that its getting a little long in the tooth. Since you own a 5s, its not that much of a step up, i.e., the SE has iPhone 6 internals. If I were to spend the money, I'd either wait for the spring to see if we get a new SE, or just bite the bullet for the X (if those were my only choices).
  13. OldMike macrumors 6502


    Mar 3, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    In August there were rumors that an new iPhone SE might be released in early 2018. If this is true, and the upgraded SE has the same internals as the iPhone 8 (A11, camera improvements) that would make the SE very interesting.

    If you really like the 5s / SE phone size, then perhaps waiting to see if the rumor is true might be worthwhile. The 5s is still my favorite iPhone design. I currently have a 7 and had the 6s Plus previous. If a new SE is released, I could be tempted to go back to a smaller phone...
  14. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

    Jul 20, 2011
  15. DNichter macrumors G3


    Apr 27, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you want to upgrade now, I would buy the X. If you are okay with waiting, I would wait for SE revision 2 at least.
  16. geta macrumors 6502a

    May 18, 2010
    The Moon
    The SE having 6s internals, not 6, so it would be nice step up from his 5s. And for the price you can get it at the moment, its no brainer.

    OP, unless you dont mind to pay a lot for being beta test user for the first Gen X, get yourself SE.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---
    No one know if we will see second Gen SE next spring... and I wouldn't buy the X this year, or in that mater anything that is first Gen.
  17. DNichter macrumors G3


    Apr 27, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yea I mean I have no idea if they will update the SE or not. It seems people like it so definitely a possibility. That's your choice not to buy the X, but there is no more chance it has issues over the 8 (which has had a number of problems and it's like a 4th gen). I have never had a problem with my first gen devices.
  18. Ntombi macrumors 68040


    Jul 1, 2008
    Bostonian exiled in SoCal
    If I were you, I’d get the X, precisely because of your penchant for using phones for a long time. People who do that should get the most recent available when they do upgrade, IMO. Getting the X will extend usability by at least two years (probably more), which is a big deal.

    Also, the fact that you, a person who tends to wait so long between upgrades, is this excited by the X adds a bit to the equation. Why ignore that completely?
  19. jjohns92 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 15, 2017
    Thanks for the input guys! A lot of good points made for both, some of which I had already thought about.

    This is what I've been trying to figure out. If I get the SE I'd probably try to keep that for as long as possible. I figured another 2-3 years if I get it now. I heard of a possible SE 2 coming out next spring, but wasn't sure of how strong the rumor was for that. I wonder if that would make the SE get phased out quicker? I'm really interested in the SE now due to the sale price, and am not interested in waiting for a more expensive SE model.

    Does anyone know how preorders work? I'll be pre-ordering through my carrier if I decide on the X. Will I get an estimate of when mine will ship when I place my order. I don't mind waiting a month or so, but if it's going to be several months I'll probably opt for the SE. I'll be setting an alarm to wake up as soon as pre-order goes up. My carrier is US Cellular, and they have a horrible website so who knows how that will work out. It crashes or there's some sort of error pretty regularly so I can only imagine how much worse it will be with increased traffic. If nothing else, I'll just preorder over the phone ASAP in the AM.
  20. Lioness~, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017

    Lioness~ macrumors 65816

    Apr 26, 2017
    I have an SE, great phone.

    But I have been drawn to the X, not that I will buy it now.
    I’m good with my SE
    But no phone have been interesting at all to me lately.
    So I hanged on to my 5 until SE came, instead of buying these bigger phones.
    But now, I both like X and not. Doesn’t at least feel like an iPad mini for a phone.
    New tech is always exiting, at same time (as how  are now) I wouldn’t jump on buying it because
    of the baby diseases it might have.
    But now my SE is just about more then 1yr.

    In your situation it would’ve been more tempting.
    You obviously need a new phone. Buying an SE now....:rolleyes:
    Well, if you get a really great deal on it, why not?

    Pleasant dilemma though.
    Comes down to if there’s something else you rather put those money on instead of
    a 1st generation of X, as it seems to me. Not only about the 2 phones.

    The pro to buy SE , it’s notch-free.
    The notch is ugly & so not 
    As more I look at it, it gets uglier :(
  21. KingslayerG5 Suspended


    Oct 16, 2017
    I find Apple's cheapest models tend to be the best for me.

    $850 MacBook Air
    Has all ports I want, glowing Apple logo, and long battery life. Least defective.

    $200 iPhone SE
    Has headphone jack, my preferred design materials, and long battery life. Special Edition indeed with mostly 6s internals.

    Got my SE back in May, so I got it before the AT&T GoPhone SE at Best Buy and Fry's dropped to $150. Then two weeks ago I got it unlocked guaranteed with no mandatory restore for $95.

    My SE is still on 10.2.1 because I want to maintain its long battery life and I have the Samsung chip inside mine. Best iPhone I ever had. You won't find a $150 Android phone that is comparable to it at that price.

    I would love the X to complete iPhone SE-X but hate glass rears. Had iPhone 4 and S7 edge and hated how sticky icky it would get and would dirty my other phones with the oil it attracts so easily.

    I like my oldies but still a goodie. Besides I don't want to make a greedy and lazy company like Apple with its $300B cash reserves anymore richer. The best value is their entry-level models.

    Wouldn't blame you if you went for the X. I just find it rushed and still unsure with the notch and Face ID. Same amount of RAM and SoC as 8 Plus but still $200 more expensive. Don't see the value in it.
  22. Ntombi macrumors 68040


    Jul 1, 2008
    Bostonian exiled in SoCal
    Yes, you get a delivery estimate immediately. Usually, it shows the estimate when you’re choosing the phone.

    You may be able to order via the Apple Store app, but I’m not sure I’ve seen US Cellular on the list. Their website is probably your best bet.

    I doubt it’ll be several months if you order sometime on the 27th.
  23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Jul 12, 2016
    I agree. I've never had issues with purchasing first Gen products. I do know that there will always will be production issues when you mass-produce any device into the millions, and seems most talk about the negative side of things versus the positives. Especially on a tech forum. But I do see the SE being updated in 2018.
  24. jjohns92 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 15, 2017
    This makes me lean towards the X! However, the sale on the SE ends before the X goes up for preorder so I'll have to decide without knowing if I want the SE sale price.

Share This Page

35 October 15, 2017