Upgrade to SS at this point?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nburwell, Dec 7, 2015.

1. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Like some fellow forum members, I have been bitten with the upgrade bug for my AW. I currently have the AW Sport and I absolutely love it. However, I now really want to go with the SS. I can upgrade to the SS for about $140 once I sell my AW Sport. I'm not entirely sure that I will upgrade to the AW 2 if a new model is released in the spring.

So if you AW Sport owners were given the chance to upgrade to the SS AW at this point, would you?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you don't plan to upgrade to the AW 2, it's better to do it now as you'll recoup more of what you paid for your Sport.

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

No, I prefer the light weight of the sport version. Plus, I will likely upgrade to the AW 2 whenever it arrives.

4. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I am considering upgrading to SS, as well. I really like my 42mm SG Sport, but I have my eye on a 42mm SB SS model. I prefer to wait for the next generation to see if they add a "limited-use" GPS for runners. I will have to decide if the extra weight of the SB SS is going to be a problem for me because I really like the lightweight Sport model.

So in my case, I will wait for AW 2 either way.

TxWatch

5. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

Is there a significant difference in weight between the sport and SS cases?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, but exxxviii actually meant he prefers the weight distribution of the Sport models. The SS can actually be lighter in total weight depending on the band (i.e., the SS models with the classic buckle are lighter than any of the Sport models).

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

42mm Sport 30g
    42mm SS 50g
    50% percent difference.

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

No, I prefer the fact that the sport model is lighter than the SS model in absolute weight. The 42mm SS model is 50g. The 42mm sport is 30g. The different felt substantial to me when I tried them on with the same sport bands. I do not like the classic buckle band, so it was not on my shopping list.
    The difference does feel significant, especially if you will use the watch for athletic activities.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I'm the same way, plus I like the fact that I have all the functionality of the SS watch for much less. I don't see the need or desire to get the stainless steel when the sport works so well.

10. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I bought the sport but exchanged it for the SS due to the sapphire crystal. I have been rough on watches in the past and was afraid I would mess up the ion-x crystal.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not really accurate because the total weight will vary depending on the band you use. For example, a 42mm SS model with the classic buckle has a total weight of 69g whereas a 42mm Sport model with the sport band is actually heavier (70-81g depending on the sport band color).

You maintain the absolute weight only if you compare the SS and Sport model using the same band, as in your case. The only concrete statement you can make is you prefer the fact that the Sport case is lighter than the SS case. The relative weights will change depending on the models (case + band).

12. exxxviii, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015

exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It is absolutely accurate. I think you are reading far more into this than I am saying... yes, the case is lighter. Therefore, when comparing two watches outfitted with the same band, the sport is lighter. I went to the Apple store, and I tried on the sport and SS both with sport bands to compare weight. The difference feels substantial.

Apple sells both versions with sport bands. That is about as apples-to-apples as you could possibly be. I am not why some other lighter band option is relevant to the thread, because you could just as easily put that same band on the sport watch to make it lighter than the SS.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Then you need to say you prefer the fact that the Sport model is lighter than the SS model when fitted with the same band. A model means case plus band, and the absolute weight can change depending on the band.

I know exactly what you're saying, but saying that "the Sport model is lighter than the SS model" is an inaccurate statement because Apple doesn't only sell the SS model with the sport bands.

14. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

For $140 I'd do it if you like the SS better. I initially bought the sport, then returned it and bought a mint used SS instead. Been very happy with the purchase.

15. exxxviii, Dec 7, 2015

exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This looks like you came just to argue. In my humble opinion, I think it is reasonable to assume that if I say that I think the sport version ("model" was your word) is lighter , a reader would likely assume that I meant with the same band. At least, others in this same thread seemed to interpret it that way. And, it appears that you too knew exactly what I meant yet chose to make a big deal out of it.

A rhetorical debate that one must explicitly state "with the same band" to convey an intended meaning does not add much value to this thread.

16. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I would keep the sport. When version 2, if you decide not to get the latest, comes out people will be selling their SS and you'll probably be able to snag one for cheaper than the current rate.

17. JayLenochiniMac, Dec 7, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's not a good idea to mislead forum members (especially those new to the AW or only have experience with one model such as the OP) into thinking that all Sport models are lighter than all SS models. Just because some people made the same assumption you did doesn't make your statement correct.

I've tried to clarify your statement to the OP in post #6, but you kept arguing with me with incorrect facts.

18. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Not sure about others on this thread, but I took your comments exactly the way you stated them above. I am considering a Space Black SS with the exact same Black Sport band, so the 42mm SS will be heavier for me.

I get what you were saying! :cool:

TxWatch

19. nburwell thread starter macrumors 68040

nburwell

This is something I'm certainly thinking about. Even though I'm very picky about buying a watch second handed.

20. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This is argument for the same of argument. Give my first post a re-read-- I said "sport version." There is nothing in that post to imply that all models weigh less. Those words and interpretation are unique to you and your responses. I doubt there any incorrect facts in any of this.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I didn't argue with your first post, but rather clarified to the OP (in post #6) that yes, there's a significant weight difference between the Sport case and the SS case, but that it may depend on the model (meaning the band may sway the total weight one way or another). That's all. No need to argue further.

22. jasie02, Dec 7, 2015

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I will wait for AW2 since you already have AW1 in sport. There is always possibility AW1-SS price will come down when Apple discontinue AW1 for AW2, specially in BB or Target. I think it is stronger in the case of watch vs phone since watch is more of fashion statement than phone and fashion change every year, AW1-SS price will come down when Apple discontinue them, specially in BB or Target.
    As in turn of weight, I like heavier weighted watch case better than light weighted watch case. Heavier case just feel better for me on the wrist. I do like watch band as light as possible, so it "feel" weight is mostly on the case where I look at it and use my finger to touch, not "feel" weighted all over my wrist.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True, but the reduced price for the last generation AW1-SS would likely be offset by the lower re-sale price if the OP waits until after AW2 debuts to sell the current Sport model so it may not make a difference.

24. redman042 macrumors 68020

If you've got the means, go for it. I did, and never looked back. The SS feels much more premium and matches all of the bands. It's more durable as well. I love the contrast of the deep black screen with jewel-like sapphire crystal against the polished stainless steel.

I would not wait unless money is tight. If you love the watch, and think you will enjoy the SS that much more, why let all those months tick by without having that enjoyment? Life is short.

My problem is that, now that I've had the SS for many months, I really really want the link bracelet. But it would bring my total watch investment to over $1k and I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.

25. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Is that the right math? ;-) 50% of 50g is 25g and 50% more of 30g is 45g. But your point is valid. I laugh at the weight difference because the difference is the average weight of a man's wedding ring. You can feel the difference in your hands but hard to really tell much of a difference after wearing either for a short period of time.