Upgraded - cant jailbreak - help pleasE!!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xpsm1730, Jul 7, 2010.

1. xpsm1730 macrumors regular

OK - I'm freaking out.

I decided to upgrade my 3G which was running on 3.0 an Tmobile

I plugged it in - started itunes - hit upgrade. It took 30-40 mins and restarted with 4.0 but below (attachment) is what I see when I connect it. I am looking at this link http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10188 to jailbrake it - but i did not do what it says as step 2. I just upgraded directly from Itunes - then once it was done I saw iClarified - is it too late? I'm downloading ipsw right now and hoping that I can still jailbrake and unlock?

PLS help!!

Attached Files:

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

You need to restore it with the custom pre-activated 4.0 firmware. Then off to ultrasnow.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can just jailbreak using Redsn0w. No need to use PwnageTool on the 3G.

4. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

when i select the ispw file i get the error - unable to recognize ispw!! what do i do please help!

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The simplest solution would be, as I said above, to use redsn0w to jailbreak your phone. Much easier. Tutorials: Windows | Mac.

But to answer your question about the unrecognized ipsw, there are several possibilities: your web browser may have saved it with a zip extension, you may have downloaded the wrong ipsw, you may have extracted the ipsw, or you may have a corrupted download. ETA: you also could have the wrong version of redsn0w.

What is the exact name of the ipsw file you are trying to use?

6. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

OK I"m redownloading the ipsw.

However - the tutorial says to choose that IPSW. in step 2 when I am upgrading.

I did not do that - i just hit update in itunes - and then opened the tutorial to realize I had to do it differently. Now the phone is updated

Will I still be able to jailbrake it if I just connect it to the PC and run Redsnow?

the ipsw. is downloading again..

7. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

iphone1,2_4.0_8A293_restore

I think the file may not have downloaded correctly - so I'm downloading it again.

OMG - ok I started the restore process and had pulled out 2 seconds into it - but now it seems like it's still in DFU and I have to go through restore.

SO now while ipsw is downloading - I will have to continue to the restore - and back to factory settings - will then upgrade to 4.0 and try again.

1 question - - i took a backup before I started all this monkey busines -- have I lost all my contacts?

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

yes you can still jailbreak and unlock using redsnow. in the future there is no need to update a 3g to 4.0. it will kill your speed of your phone. and there is only a couple features you pick up anyway. and the pic you posted is to small to read so I cant comment on that.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You omitted the extension. What is it?

10. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you should not be jailbreaking your phone. Jailbreaking is not for everyone. Although jailbreaking tools have become much simpler, they still make fundamental changes to your phone's operating system which you should not do unless you fully understand what you're doing and have the knowledge to understand the inevitable hiccups and troubleshoot problems that might arise.

Certainly I don't think anyone who doesn't know what a file extension is should be jailbreaking his or her phone. Sorry.

12. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

Well - I jailbroke/unlocked it when I bought it 2 years ago. I just decided to upgrade it last night - and I think that was a HUGE mistake.

Now I'ts gone through DFU mode and restored - however, when I connect it to iTunes It is not detected. My T-mobile sim card is not in the phone.

Guys - please help me out - I just want it to work - all my job stuff is on the phone and I am an DEEP **** if i doesn't start.

13. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

Would someone be willing to get with me on gchat to help me with this?

I will lose my job if i can't make this work soon

14. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Exhibit 2,497 of why you shouldn't do questionable things with equipment you use for your profession.

... Sorry, that was rather snarky, wasn't it?
    I hope you get your job data back. Do you have a backup, in another form, perhaps?
    EDIT: Oh, I see you do have a backup of your contacts. Smart move.

15. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

Here are the steps I took - what should I do??

I was running 3G 3.0 on Tmobile

Last night I decided to upgrade to 4.0

I just connected it and hit upgrade

Then when I opened redsnow and selected the ispw. file which i downloaded from this link -> http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10188 --- it says cannot be detected.

So I put the phone in DFU and hit restore. IT went through a process - now when I connect it to itunes - it says no sim card installed - if I insert the tmobile sim it reads insert right sim.

--

Do I now download the first firmwire as shown here -- http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7443 -- and then run redsnow with that to jailbrake and ultrasnow to unlock?

I don't care about 4.0 - i just want my phone to work as all my job material is on it and i will certainly get fired if I can't work it

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Sigh. Okay, here goes:

Download the following files:

Make sure that your computer recognizes the firmware file as an ipsw and saves it with the correct extension. Some browsers mistakenly change the extension to .zip and treat it like a zip archive. If you have been downloading in IE, I suggest trying Firefox instead.

Then follow one of the following iClarified tutorials exactly, step-for-step. Make sure that the "Activate" checkbox is checked if you do not have an AT&T SIM.

Tutorials: Windows | Mac.

17. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well first of all you need an ATT sim card to activate the iphone since you restored it. second I hope you backed up your phone before you started all of this cause if you didnt you have lost everything that was on the phone.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That's ridiculous. He can hacktivate his phone when he jailbreaks. He does not need an AT&T SIM.

19. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

show me!

20. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

do i do this even though the phone has gone through DFU/restore process?

21. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

22. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

I just checked the last ispw i downloaded - in properties it says its a .ispw file and can be opened by itunes.

--

when i connect my phone and launch itunes my phone is not detected. The only option I have is to eject - I don't see the restore button

23. xpsm1730 thread starter macrumors regular

When I open redsnow - click browse - choose the ipsw - hit OK - it says 'processing firmware' and then 'unable to recognize specified ipsw'

24. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

why are you telling him to download an old version of redsnow?

25. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

I am pretty sure you need redsnow 0.9.5b5-5 for a 3G on 4.0 and it should hacktivate the phone....meaning get you past the activation screen.....go to the dev team blog and at the bottom of the page are the correct links