Upgraded Macbook vs. Stock Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dodgerstx, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Dodgerstx macrumors newbie

I am most likely going to buy an apple computer. I am looking at the Macbook and the Macbook Pro. Now I was wondering for the price of the stock Macbook Pro, is it more worth while to upgrade the Macbook. Here are the upgrades I have compiled:

Black Macbook 2.2ghz Model (Not Really an Upgrade)
    HITACHI Travelstar 7K200 HTS722020K9SA00 (7200 rpm Hard drive)
    Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 667 Memory

The price of the Black Macbook with the upgrades comes pretty close to the price of the stock Macbook Pro 2.2ghz model. Now I will be using the laptop primarily for photoediting in Photoshop, maybe some Flash and Web design. I will most likely be using the Abode CS3 suites. I would also like to be able to do some video editing on the go using adobe after effects.

Now would it just be better to buy the macbook pro then save up and apply the above upgrades to the Macbook pro for what I need the laptop for? Will the stock Macbook Pro be able to hold me out for about two months?
    Or will the Macbook with the above upgrades be a much better laptop?

Thanks

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

get the pro. for what your doing with it, you will be a millions time happier if you get the pro. wait just a while longer until they upgrade that line, then snag one and upgrade the ram and hdd when you can. you will be very happy and good luck with the first mac purchase!

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

The Pro is SO MUCH NICER that a MacBook. Trust me!

4. a4abt macrumors regular

My brother has a MB (Core 2 Duo, 4gb ram, 320gb 5,400rpm) and except for the video card, performances are almost the same as my MBP.

The main MBP advantages are video card & screen ( and a few more goodies).

5. goose1873 macrumors member

agree w/ last guy...look up cnet and other reviews. People here will back whatever they have (for the most part). I think they are very similar now that processing speed and processors are the same. Not worth the extra money for what u get (i think). Thats not to say the MBP isn't better...it is. It's just up to you if you want to spend a grand more for a little more. I think apple made a mistake by making the MB's as close in performance as the MBP's and still charge the pro "tax".

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Second this. MBP is for the graphics card and the screen.

7. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Another vote for the MBP. Don't have much experience with the MB, but I absolutely love my MBP. I also agree that you should wait for the update. Then you could get the latest and greatest, or get a proven machine from the Refurb store at a great price.

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

OP....you can get new MBP's on eBay for the same price as a BlackBook. I just got mine for $1650, no tax or shipping charge. I say for the extra $100 so bucks...its totally worth it for the Pro.

9. goose1873 macrumors member

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Don't know. If you ask me, the blackbook is a waste of money. If you spend that much your better off buying a Pro!

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If the graphics card and bigger screen matter to you, get the MBP. If they don't, get the mid-Macbook and upgrade it yourself. If you burn c-notes to keep warm, max out a blackbook @ Apple.

12. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Personally, I think it is valid to look even further than the specs. With the Pro, you've got a full metal enclosure, which is VERY durable. You've got backlit keys and an ambient light sensor. That may sound a bit silly, but trust me, I've dropped my PowerBook a few times (it's nearly 3 years old) and if it weren't metal, it wouldn't be alive. The keys are a super nice feature for anytime you're in the dark, and they kick on automatically! A few nice additions also include FireWire 800 and the expansion slot. The better graphics card will be nice, too, and the bigger screen will be a lot better to work on for what you are doing. I don't think there is any question about it--You should get the MacBook Pro.

13. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

I have both a MBP and a MB. For Photoshop I would definitely recommend the MBP, mostly as already stated for the video and the larger screen.

My MBP is desktop bound now, and my career has changed, for which the MB is great. But when I do any sort of art or design project I do it on my MBP (and the attached 23" monitor :) ).

14. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

15. neilspartacus macrumors member

Pro should be a better choice

With the view of what you would like to do on it. I mean you said you want to do photoediting!
    The larger Pro screen should be an added advantage for such work! So just go for the Pro!

16. computergeek macrumors member

I do a lot of photoshop'n on my macbook and i find it to be great. Great speed and i don't find the screen size to be an issue at all

17. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

I have to agree with the majority of posters. The MBP is a far superior machine. The larger display, back lighting for the keyboard and the aluminum case alone make it worth the extra money IMHO. Also the dedicated graphics card is very nice.

Good luck with your decision. :)

18. jalpert macrumors 6502

Don't forget that the MB has a smaller screen, but also a smaller footprint. If this is something you are lugging around and you want to be as portable as possible, you might want to consider the MB. Smaller size, almost as much power.

19. Dodgerstx thread starter macrumors newbie

About when and what do you think Apple will Upgrade?

20. Dodgerstx thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I will be carrying it with me probably only a few times a month. I went the Apple store and the Macbook Pro did not seem that heavy, any way I will be carrying it in a backpack.

21. Dodgerstx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks those were a few very good points I have never thought of.

22. Dodgerstx thread starter macrumors newbie

Also thanks everyone I will be sticking with the Pro.

23. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I would also vote for the Pro.

I have a horrible thread here concerned with the MacBook and its componentry, which is apparently the most basic and cheapest laptop componentry available on the market...

24. Dodgerstx thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I was just reading that post you made. ^^^

25. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I hope the MacBook Pros are of comparable build quality to my PowerBook G4 which has been sitting smug and flexing its muscles as a flawless machine since day one, 3 years ago! (hardware and software wise)