Upgraded RAM to 8GB and not sure if it works

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marianonano, Jan 6, 2016.

1. marianonano macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro. I just upgraded my RAM to 2 sets of 4GB. Under my activity monitor it shows that physical memory is 4gb. Is this correct? Or can I be that one of the slots is not properly working?

2. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Click the Apple dropdown menu > About this Mac > System Report. Slect the memory option on the left pane, which should let you know specifically if one of the slots is not properly registering the 4GB. Activity Monitor is most likely correct but it's good to just double check if anything else is going on.

3. SqB macrumors 6502

those little buggers can be really hard to get seated correctly. Did you try removing and reinstalling them?

4. marianonano thread starter macrumors newbie

It shows 2 sets of 2GB are in.... but thats definitely not the case. I have 2 x 4gb in.

5. Erdbeertorte, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016

Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

What RAM is it exactly? Can you make a photo of both sides?

An what happens if you pull one of them out?

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Where did you get the RAM? Does it state 4GB on it and is it from a reputable supplier? It would be quite possible to sell you 2x2GB sticks labelled as 4GB, a problem with the stick or slot could cause this but unlikely on 2 at the same time...

7. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

I thought the same. :( That's way I asked for a photo.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

There is counterfeit RAM about and the easiest counterfeit is to use cheap 2GB sticks and relabel, not sure if you would be able to tell from a photo though. I don't have a great feeling about this...

9. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

But if it's just relabeled we maybe can identify the brand and compare it to a photo of the original by the amount of chips and their size.