Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArrayDecay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Greater Seattle Area
The first time I had to reauthenticate with my name/pw but now I just tap on the network and it reconnects. Highly annoying. Is anyone else having this problem?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The first time I had to reauthenticate with my name/pw but now I just tap on the network and it reconnects. Highly annoying. Is anyone else having this problem?
Check your Wi-Fi Assist setting under Settings > Cellular in case it got changed.

Aside from restarting the phone to see if that might help, you can potentially also try resetting network settings (although that will forget all known networks as well).

Reactions: BigMcGuire

dancerdude17

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
I’ve been having a similar issue in my iPhone 11 Pro. WiFi was fine throughout the beta until the GM.

edit: for some extra info, I’m typically connected to a RAX120 WiFi 6 5GHz connection just in case that’s significant to anyone.

For me though, I can just toggle airplane mode on and off again, and it reconnects.

Last edited:

ArrayDecay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
Greater Seattle Area
Check your Wi-Fi Assist setting under Settings > Cellular in case it got changed.

Aside from restarting the phone to see if that might help, you can potentially also try resetting network settings (although that will forget all known networks as well).

All of the above and it still dropping the connection after 5-6 minutes. Signal strength with the Aruba 325 AP right outside my office is excellent (I'm the network guy.) It's got to be a bug (or a feature) of this update.

EDIT: Turning Private Address OFF resulted in no change. Still dropping.

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I just received a broadcast email from Comcast talking about iOS 14 and WiFi connection problems. Basically said relearn network and watch no real fix yet. Says IOS 14 all flavors changes the MAC address behavior somehow. All my Apple devices have WiFi issues with 14

Reactions: preetb

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
SO HERE IS HOW YOU FIX THIS! hard core your iphone mac adress into your router and be done, leave DHCP on for 30 days

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018
I just received a broadcast email from Comcast talking about iOS 14 and WiFi connection problems. Basically said relearn network and watch no real fix yet. Says IOS 14 all flavors changes the MAC address behavior somehow. All my Apple devices have WiFi issues with 14

Yeah it’s the new privacy feature that randomizes the wifi MAC address. You can go into your wifi settings for a connection and disable it to see if that helps. Just turn off the private address function

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah it’s the new privacy feature that randomizes the wifi MAC address. You can go into your wifi settings for a connection and disable it to see if that helps. Just turn off the private address function

yes go to into router and hard code the new mac addy and set DHCP to 30 days, or turn the option off

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
New IOS today: released:

This update includes bug fixes for your iPhone.

• Fixes an issue that could cause default browser and mail settings to reset after restarting your iPhone

• Addresses an issue that could prevent camera previews from displaying on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus

• Fixes an issue that could prevent your iPhone from connecting to Wi-Fi networks

• Resolves an issue that could prevent sending email with some mail providers

• Addresses an issue that could prevent images from appearing in the News widget

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
New IOS today: released:

This update includes bug fixes for your iPhone.

• Fixes an issue that could cause default browser and mail settings to reset after restarting your iPhone

• Addresses an issue that could prevent camera previews from displaying on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus

• Fixes an issue that could prevent your iPhone from connecting to Wi-Fi networks

• Resolves an issue that could prevent sending email with some mail providers

• Addresses an issue that could prevent images from appearing in the News widget

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
To be more specific, that would be the iOS 14.0.1 update.

IKUK123

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
Hi, I’m new here & have the exact same problem.

iPhone 8. Downloaded iOS 14.2. Now my phone drops WiFi & 4G too.

I’m an absolute tech dummy. I only use iPhone & iPad, because they’re supposed to just work (which they normally do).

I don’t want to mess with my Router. Wouldn’t know how to & besides, I’ve got the same issue in work & I don’t have access to that router...

Is there any way to get this 14 off & revert to the previous OS?

Thanks

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Hi, I’m new here & have the exact same problem.

iPhone 8. Downloaded iOS 14.2. Now my phone drops WiFi & 4G too.

I’m an absolute tech dummy. I only use iPhone & iPad, because they’re supposed to just work (which they normally do).

I don’t want to mess with my Router. Wouldn’t know how to & besides, I’ve got the same issue in work & I don’t have access to that router...

Is there any way to get this 14 off & revert to the previous OS?

Thanks
No, you can't get off of 14. Anything prior to IOS 14.1 is no longer signed by Apple. In a couple of weeks or so, IOS 14.1 won't be signed either because 14.2 is now out.

IKUK123

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
No, you can't get off of 14. Anything prior to IOS 14.1 is no longer signed by Apple. In a couple of weeks or so, IOS 14.1 won't be signed either because 14.2 is now out.

Thanks teeshot

OK, I’ve been onto Apple Support. The first agent was unable to help & said she wasn’t aware of this being a widespread issue. So I asked to be escalated..

Spoke to a chap in Ireland who tried to initiate a screen share, but was unable to do it. After a few minutes the subject of VPN came up.. I use ExpressVPN. He said that was the issue & asked me to delete the VPN App, which I did. Now all appears to be working.

I’ll now have to contact ExpressVPN to see if they’re aware of the problem & working on a fix.

_Required_

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
I'm not using any VPN, have had the same wireless router for years, everything was rock solid until I upgraded to iOS 14. Now on 14.2, have tried resetting network settings, use private network address on/off and even tried total factory reset and wifi is still unreliable.

_Required_

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
SO HERE IS HOW YOU FIX THIS! hard core your iphone mac adress into your router and be done, leave DHCP on for 30 days
This doesn't work. The connection still drops. And even if it did "fix this", it's not solving the problem. How do I use wifi somewhere where I don't have control of the router?

KER7

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
Here's a post I submitted to Apple's Community Forum 2 weeks ago and when I added a follow-up post this evening (that follow-up follows this post), Apple removed my post and shut me out of that post area:

Apple Is Too Quiet & Moving At A Snail's Pace With a Remedy For iOS 14.x WiFi Connection Dropping Issue

DEFCON 5 iOS 14.x WiFi Network Drop-off Issue
I've literally read hundreds of posts across the web regarding iPhone customer's devices dropping off their WiFi networks since installing iOS 14.x. My networking experience includes building WMANs (wireless municipal area networks—citywide wireless networks) using high-speed free-space optics (infrared laser) point-to-point connections backed up with high-speed radio and properly load-balanced external/internal WiFi meshes. In addition, I ran a Mac-centric technology consulting firm for 10 years where troubleshooting was a fair amount of my focus. I was a former worldwide Product Manager for tape backup company with my focus on a product line for the Mac. I used to work for Apple in large K-12 sales. And finally, I'm an iOS developer. While this article sounds like a resume at this point, I assure you my only reason for mentioning my technical and Apple platform experience is to lend credence to my observations and points. To that end, I can attest there's a serious DEFCON 5 level bug or undisclosed change introduced in iOS 14.x. I've written 14.x because I've tested iOS 14.0 through iOS 14.2 beta 3 and THIS ISSUE IS STILL NOT FIXED! When iOS 14.0 was released I held off for a few of weeks before installing it on my XS Max. I now wished I'd held off longer because the WiFi nightmare Apple created totally negates the benefits of the new features introduced. My XS Max continually drops off my perfectly tuned WiFi mesh network. I have a separate 5 MHz network for my XS Max and the my wife's 8+, I have a separate 5 MHz network for our MacBook Pros, and a 2.4 MHz WiFi network for much slower IoT (internet of things) devices. For all those out there recommending we dive into our routers and access points (APs) and make changes, read on. In my home are the following iPhones: XS Max, 8+, 6+, and 2 5S phones. I've placed all of these iPhones in the same locations in which my Xs Max now drops off the network (and never did before) and guess what? They all maintain their connections (on the same 5 MHz iPhone-dedicated network as the Xs). The difference? They're all not running iOS 14.x. And lastly, for all those out there recommending the resetting of iPhone network settings: It does not resolve the issue.

Broken iPhone WiFi Radio Driver
In my many years of experience, my best guess is the iOS 14.x development team has either broken the iPhone's internal WiFi radio driver, or Apple decided to make a change and, as usual, failed to tell the world. This happens all the time to developers and Apple continues to wonder why we wait until the the golden master has been released before we devote significant time to code changes and testing—we're tired of Apple's last minutes changes that costs us a lot of wasted time! In any event, whatever mishap has occurred within iOS 14.x in Cupertino, my Xs Max has lost it's ability to stay connected to my 5 MHz WiFi network when it's moved more than 10 feet from my router or access points. If you're sitting right on top of the router or AP, the phone will maintain a connection.

Apple Has Put It's Customers In A Box—Again!
Shortly after experiencing iOS 14.x's WiFi dropping issue, I attempted to downgrade to iOS 13.7. While I was able to download the IPSW archive, Apple, in it's consistent shortsightedness, stopped signing (allowing you to install) iOS 13 the day they released iOS 14 (this is the typical policy)! This has to be one of the most most idiotic policies Apple has implemented. They leave no contingency plan in place for us customers who make their livelihood with the use of their solutions (and pay a lot of money for them)! Hey Apple, how about a new policy in which you add the ability to downgrade to the prior iOS version for a minimum of 30 days? And, make it as easy to downgrade as it is to upgrade. This way, if another major iOS user-debilitating bug is found in a future major iOS release, your customers are able to downgrade and continue to be productive. In my opinion doing anything else is simply being disrespectful to your loyal customers base.

End of Rant

KER7

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
Here's the follow-up that ruffled Apple's feathers—actually, I had another post that got removed last week. My patience with Apple is growing VERY THIN!!!

Well, I hope everyone is enjoying their iOS 14.2 update—you know, the update that fixed the WiFi dropping issue—Rrrrrriiiiiiggggghhhhhttttt. Apple this is getting ridiculous!!! It's been almost 2 months since you released iOS 14 and you've not yet taken responsibility for this train wreck of a release. How about begin re-signing iOS 13.x for all devices so your customers can go back to getting things done working from home?"!!! By the way, everyone should try to have a phone conversation using WiFi calling with when their phone keeps dropping off the WiFi connection every 5 minutes!!! And, in case anyone out there wants to make suggestions, I have 4 other iPhones (8+, 6+, & 2 5s(s)) that will remain connected to my perfectly tuned WiFi mesh everywhere my Xs Max drops off—my Xs Max would never drop off my WiFi network in those areas until iOS 14 was installed. The older phones have one thing in common: they're not running (or able to run) iOS 14.x It's not my network, it's not my VPN (I'm not running one), it's not my router or access point (AP) settings (because they have not changed), and it's not a router or AP firmware update (becuase none has been updated since updating to iOS 14.x)—It's iOS 14.x!!! I had to drop back down to my iPhone 6+ to get work done and make and take phone calls!!! To that end, my Xs Max is currently an EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE PAPER WEIGHT!!!

Hey Mohhammed from India (addressing a fellow poster), I feel your pain. See the post I submitted 2 weeks ago entitled, Apple Is Too Quiet & Moving At A Snail's Pace With a Remedy For iOS 14.x WiFi Connection Dropping Issue.—It's a long and catchy title. Since that post, I've noticed a number of patterns: First, my Xs Max remains connected to my older 802.11n AP—even when I'm on the other side of my home, but not to my 802.11ac router (located 12 feet up on a plant shelf) when I'm standing right in front of it. However, my Xs Max will remain connected all day long to my 802.11ac AP in my office (sits 10 feet from where I work)—that is, if my Xs Max does not leave my office. As I stated in my prior post: Apple has either made an undisclosed change to the WiFi device driver or someone on the iOS development team forgot to finish developing or testing it.

Oh, one more thing (couldn't resist): MacOS 10.17.5 is causing the same issue. There are some common pieces between both OS(s) such as device drivers.

Last edited:

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
From another post:
I've been having the same issue. What I did to "fix" it (I don't know if any of this actually did anything, but it's been stable all day):

1) Disable VPN & uninstall the VPN app (if you're not using a VPN, skip this)
2) Under Settings/Cellular, disable Wi-Fi Assist
3) Disable everything under Settings/General/Airplay & Handoff
4) Disable Settings/General/Airdrop ("Receiving off")
5) Enable Airplane Mode
6) Restart (UpVol-Unlock, slide)

When the phone restarts disable Airplane Mode and check on the status of the Wi-Fi settings.

KER7

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
I tried Davidalan's recommended steps and they don't resolved the WiFi dropping issue. My Xs Max continues to drop off my WiFi network, but my wife's 8+, my 6+, and our older 5s(s) remain on the WiFi network all around our property (inside or out).

On another note, but related to submitting posts on this forum: Avoid using bracket characters in your text. I just discovered the hard way, these characters are reserved for formatting text as strike-through.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I'm not using any VPN, have had the same wireless router for years, everything was rock solid until I upgraded to iOS 14. Now on 14.2, have tried resetting network settings, use private network address on/off and even tried total factory reset and wifi is still unreliable.
14 made changes. Routers may have worked but is it supported and firmware still supported and current? I find WiFi 6 has had order of magnitude faster - from getting 65Mbps now getting 250Mb which is what I am paying for. Better able to negotiate wifi channels, longer range. I replace mine on regular basis.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
'
I tried Davidalan's recommended steps and they don't resolved the WiFi dropping issue. My Xs Max continues to drop off my WiFi network, but my wife's 8+, my 6+, and our older 5s(s) remain on the WiFi network all around our property (inside or out).

On another note, but related to submitting posts on this forum: Avoid using bracket characters in your text. I just discovered the hard way, these characters are reserved for formatting text as strike-through.
Found and tried 5his one as well:

Forget the Wi-Fi Network, Toggle AirPlane Mode, then Rejoin​

1. Open the Settings app, then go to “Wi-Fi” disable private network then
  2. Find the wi-fi network you’re connected to, then tap the “I” button next to the network name
  3. Tap on “Forget This Network”
  4. Exit out of Settings
  5. Turn on AirPlane Mode by pulling down Control Center and tapping the AirPlane icon (or by activating it from Settings), leave it on for a few seconds, then turn AirPlane mode back off again
  6. also tried it by skipping step 5 and doing a volume up then down then power off with side button.
  7. Return to the Settings app and go back to “Wi-Fi”
  8. Re-join the wireless network you were previously connected to
confirm private network still disabled after reboot and signing onto WiFi

_Required_

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2020
14 made changes. Routers may have worked but is it supported and firmware still supported and current? I find WiFi 6 has had order of magnitude faster - from getting 65Mbps now getting 250Mb which is what I am paying for. Better able to negotiate wifi channels, longer range. I replace mine on regular basis.
Yes, my router is still supported and on latest firmware. I wouldn't get much speed benefit from a new WiFi 6 device since my broadband is nowhere near that speed, so can't justify buying one as a speculative attempt to get my phone working properly.

Apple has always claimed their products are reliable because they control both the hardware and OS, so how about they actually make good on this. If they release an OS it should work on every device that installs it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.