Upgraded to SE from 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s54, Apr 10, 2016.

1. s54 macrumors regular

And I couldn't be happier.

My reasons behind the upgrade:

• SE is lighter
    • SE is easier to hold and maneuver with one hand (big deal to me, believe it or not)
    • SE is smaller overall, which I always preferred (bigger smartphones remind me of someone holding an iPad up to their ear or people taking photos with iPads, which, to me, looks silly)

I can understand why people may prefer the 6S. However, I personally never found the 6S's extra capabilities any useful. For example, I never liked using 3D touch. Also, I rarely used the front facing camera; the one and only time was in a webex session for work, where the video quality really didn't matter.

In a perfect world, my ideal smartphone would be an iPhone SE that's thinner and with a slightly bigger screen. That is, the phone's overall size would remain the same, but the screen would span to the edges and grow in size only a cm or two.

2. von franklin macrumors regular

von franklin

3. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Technically, going from 6s to a SE wouldn't be an upgrade in the truest sense, but I get your drift. <grin>

I never owned a smartphone before getting the 6s, but my younger sister visited me over the weekend, and I got to play with her 5s and once more...I was struck by how well it fit in my hand, and how easy it was use one-handed.

I may well decide to get a 4" phone the next time around. Depending on what the 7s brings (or doesn't), and if the SE gets updated in two years time (with Touch ID v2, maybe a bump up in the screen, etc)...it can surely happen.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It would have been an upgrade if you had a 5S. Going from a 6S to a SE is a downgrade.

• You lose screen size
    • You lose force touch (you are going to kick yourself if iOS 10 adds a bunch of new features that revolve around Force touch)

5. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

[​IMG]

7. minik macrumors 65816

I switched from the 6 months old 6S Plus to the SE and quickly get used to the 4-inch display. However 3D Touch is something I missed.

8. Barrierfreeman macrumors regular

Barrierfreeman

9. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I think he was very clear about the superior features behind his decision.

10. trifid macrumors 65816

trifid

For certain usage type it may be an upgrade to a 6s: a smaller phone can be superior for gym/activity, better comfort in pocket and better 1-handed use.

11. xixi.li macrumors regular

12. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'd say it's a "side-grade"... However some people want a 4" screen instead of 4.7 or 5.5".

Personally I want a 6" iPhone the size of a 6s Plus

13. willmtaylor, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Not sure what you're all on about, but his terms were quite clear in the OP. He laid out his criteria in the in bullet points. When you set your criteria, your criteria dictate the results.

I swear, the insecurity of the iPhone forum membership is incredible to behold. The fact that folks would get so riled up at the "audacity" of someone else upgrading to a phone that isn't theirs. Good grief.

14. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I upgraded to an iPhone SE from an iPhone 6S Plus. :cool:

15. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

I asked in another thread, too, but are none of y'all that are switching from the 6S/+ worried that iOS 10 will take a lot more advantage of 3D Touch? I really do enjoy the comfort and usability, from an ergonomic standpoint, of the SE, but I enjoy using 3D Touch and think it's only going to be more and more utilized.

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

I laugh each time someone says going from a 6s or 6s+ to an SE is an upgrade, but there you have it. What do they teach in school now days :confused: :D

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Congratulations on on getting the phone that better suits your wants/needs.

18. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

And because the SE does have better battery life over the 6s, the battery life is an upgrade even if another features are not.

Like you, I find it a little ridiculous that some people get so worked up.

xixi.li just absolutely felt like getting that dig in...c'mon, really?!

19. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

It is pretty silly to get so defensive/offensive over this topic. It's simply a subjective choice. There are pros and cons both ways. They're so closely balanced that I've been teetering back and forth between the two, myself. I don't really think any of the current iPhone offerings are bad.

20. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but I don't want to be mean but u went from a top of the line iPhone 6s to an "upgraded" 5s?

The SE has the same parts as the 5s only difference is logic board and battery.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You're misinformed. Do more research before posting about specs.

22. Geert76 macrumors 65816

back to school!

23. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

This link should educate you a little more.

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare/

24. Dirtydutch macrumors 6502

Dirtydutch

I agree people seem to be getting quite petty over the SE. I own a 6S Plus and an SE, it's scary how close they really are. If you look at any rankings of performance it is rated right below both iPad pros bunched with both iPhone 6S'. In being an iPhone traditionalist like many on here the SE will probably be my favorite iPhone ever looking back on it. 2GB of ram and 64 bit architecture on that screen will most likely last just as many years as the 6S. I see my 6S plus being sold before my SE for the next upgrade I do.