Upgrades for Mid 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bucsfan2425, Aug 24, 2014.

1. bucsfan2425 macrumors member

I've been reading through a lot of threads and wanted to do some upgrades to my MBP.

What i have:
    13" Mid-2010 MBP
    2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo
    NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
    Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5

Upgrades I want to do:

RAM-right now I have 4GB, and was deciding between the 8GB or 16GB from OCW. I don't really edit videos or anything like that, just a college kid going for my IT degree. This is my everyday and only computer, so i use for everything from school to music to internet and everything else.

I originally planned on just doing the 8GB for 100$ from OCW but have been contemplating getting the 16GB instead. Which should i get?

SSD- Pretty sure i have SATA 2 right now (says link speed: 3 gigabit). I want to upgrade to at least a 480 since i feel like a 250 is too small. I was looking at samsung 840 EVO SATA III SSD. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249

Would that be the right one to get? Is there something better? (crucial, etc.)for $250 it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Also, where would i get the transfer cord that goes from the computer to the new SSD?

Battery-I will be replacing my battery since mine now lasts 2 hours on a full charge. I was just going to grab the one from OCW for 100$. Is there a better/cheaper option or should I just go with that one.

Thank you for any advice on what to do!!! Just started school again and want to get my MBP running a bit faster!

2. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

well i suggest you got for the 8gb ram, you'd be wasting the 16gb if you weren't a power user.

Batterywise if 2 hours doesn't do it for you by all means upgrade, i recommend OWC, they have really good batteries. Im planning to buy one for myself in november, mine also lasts around 2 hours of usage.

SSD wise, im not sure if our 2010 MacBooks support Sata III, i think its just Sata II but I'm not sure. i went with a 1TB upgrade instead.

Suggest you upgrade the SSD first, you will notice the speed difference then compared to upgrading the RAM

3. bucsfan2425, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014

bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member

Ok looks like i'll go with the battery from OCW for sure than.

So the SSD i linked wouldn't work? I've seen/read a lot of good things about the Samsung 840 so is there a different model that I should use?

And yeah if having to choose between doing the RAM or SSD, you think the SSD would be the better choice?

Edit: Would this be the right one to get?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tiveASIN=B009NB8WRU&linkCode=as2&tag=su0ab-20

Now that i'm looking at my storage, I have 195GB free out of 319 (124GB used) and that's after 4+ years of owning my MBP. maybe the 256GB will be more than enough?

4. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

SSDs works in the MBP 2010. MBP does only support SATA II what that means is slower speeds than what SATA III offer. BUT IT DOESNT MATTER. SSD will be much faster than a regular old hard disk drive even on SATA II.

I highly recommend a SSD. As of today (24 August) newegg is offering a crucial 240gb SSD for $100. That's cheap compared to a year ago it was about $80 more. (SSD prices are dropping which is a good thing)

Crucial and samsung are the go to brands these days.

5. bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member

So is the SSD that I linked in my previous post the right one to get if I go with samsung?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ SSD- Pretty sure i have SATA 2 right now (says link speed: 3 gigabit). I want to upgrade to at least a 480 since i feel like a 250 is too small. I was looking at samsung 840 EVO SATA III SSD. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147249 ]]

First let me say that I, too, have an April 2010 MacBook Pro. Mine's a 13" model.

My advice is don't worry about the "SATA II" issue.
    The speed boost -- particularly at bootup time -- will be an astounding improvement.

Any SATA III SSD you buy should be "backward compatible" with SATA II.

In my own instance, I took an SSD that I had already been using for most of a year with a Mac Mini, and "moved it over" to the MBPro. It's still going strong.

Regarding the size of the SSD you buy, the main consideration should be "how much space have you consumed on your -current- HDD? Is it getting close to full? Or is there plenty of room yet?

Also -- once you do the drive swap, you'll have the old drive "in-hand". Get an external USB3 enclosure like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...=1408890496&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+usb3+uasp
    ... put the old HDD into it, and use it for "extra storage".
    Or... use it as your bootable backup drive.

(Aside: one reason it's important to have a BOOTABLE BACKUP with an SSD is that if the SSD ever fails, it will probably "fail 100%" -- that is, you won't even be able to get to the recovery partition if you use one. Thus -- the importance of having a second BOOTABLE backup handy)

Regarding RAM -- do you find yourself "pushing the limits" with 4gb?
    In my own experience, my needs are lighter, and I don't have problems with just 4gb.
    8gb may be fine for the remaining life expectancy of the MacBook.

7. bucsfan2425, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014

bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member

for your first question, i've only used 124 GB out of 319 (195 remaining). And thats in the 4+ years i've had it. That's why i'm beginning to think the 256 GB should be fine , right? That would put me at about 130 GB free space on a new SSD.

I'm definitely leaning towards samsung, so can someone just clarify for me that this is the right one to get:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...D256BW/dp/B009NB8WRU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Also, Do i have to get that enclosure? can't i just swap the old drive back in if something happens to the SSD?

Edit: Since I don't have SATA III. Would the samsung evo work just as well? This one:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7TE500LW

What's the difference between the evo and the pro?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you have some plans to add a ton of new data on there soon, it looks to me like 256GB would be plenty for you.

That one you linked is the 840 Pro and you don't need that. You want the EVO model that is cheaper. Samsung EVO here for $118. Backwards SATA compatible like others mentioned and will work fine for you.

Don't buy your memory from OWC. Memory is memory if it meets the specs. No reason to pay OWC's inflated prices. Just get this memory for $77 from Amazon ($26 less than OWC).

You will need a USB enclosure or transfer cable of some sort to move your data over to the new SSD from your old drive. But if you don't need to transfer anything over, then you don't need the enclosure and yes you could always pop the old drive back in if you want.

If you don't copy anything over from the old drive, you will need a way to install the OS though. Just use this Apple utility with a 1GB or larger USB key to make a recovery boot disk. Then you can option key boot to this USB key and use it to format and download/install the OS on your new drive.

Another suggestion is you should consider upgrading to Mavericks. It has better memory management than Lion and will work fine on your Mac.

Edit: Saw your edit. The EVO uses a different type of NAND cell storage called TLC that is cheaper than the MLC type in the Pro, but does not last as many write cycles. You can read about it here. For your usage the EVO will likely outlast the computer.

9. bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member

Damn If i go with the 250 Samsung EVO, I'd save enough money to where i'd probably buy the RAM at the same time!

How will Mavericks run on my computer? Will it be just as fast, if not faster than what my 10.7.5 is now? Would install after upgrading RAM to 8GB and a SSD Samsung EVO.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mavericks will run fine on your machine. During normal usage the speed will be about the same, but if you get into a scenario where you are using a lot of RAM Mavericks will be faster because it uses memory compression to maximize available memory.

11. bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member

When changing everything. My plan is to put everything thats on my mac now onto the SSD. than put the SSD in and the RAM at the same time, along with a new battery.

Than once everything is up and running, I will then upgrade to Mavericks.

Is that a good plan?

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that will work fine. You will need some type of USB enclosure then to copy that data over to the new SSD.

13. bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member

I was just gonna buy the SATA to Usb connector adapter. Something like this:
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/861670/StarTechcom-USB-30-to-25-SATA/

Is that the right one or is there one you recommend? Or would it be better buying the laptop kit from samsung for an extra 30$:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-7TE250LW

Also, been reading about how Yosemite will be a free upgrade when it comes out, most likely in the next few months. Should i still upgrade to Mavericks anyways?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That first one you linked for $14 will work perfectly.

I would just do Mavericks now. I has been patched and now seems reliable. Then maybe wait until Yosemite comes out and see how stable it is out of the gate before deciding if you want to update to it.

15. bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member

Ok cool will do!

One last question: the link that you gave me or the 118$ SSD. that comes with everything I need besides that cable right? so it has the CD and everything else that i'll need?

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

All you need is the bare drive and that cable you linked. You don't need any CD or anything else, other than tools of course. You will need a size 00 Phillips driver to remove the case screws and a #6 Torx driver to swap over the four screws that hold the drive in place.

17. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OP is looking at 250GB. I thought of the same thing and Amazon has the "laptop kit" version for $149 also. For some reason Amazon has a much better discount on the bare drive at $118.... so even with the $14 third party cable he is better off than the $149 kit.

19. bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member

So after installing my SSD, 8GB Ram and a new battery, I'm expecting my Macbook to be much improved. As of just now my write and read speeds are 47 and 50.

Are my expectations to high or will there not be that much of an improvement?

Also, when upgrading to mavericks, Do all my apps and everything transfer with it? I was reading somewhere that a guy had to install all his old stuff over again (microsoft office, etc.)

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

With your SATA II connection you should get around 200 or so for read speeds. What will make a bigger difference than these raw transfer speeds though is the far far faster seek times of an SSD. You will notice a big difference when launching apps for example.

What you may have read was about a user doing a "clean install" that involves erasing the whole disk then installing the OS. That would wipe any apps etc that are there.

But if you just do the upgrade install without erasing anything, all your apps will still be there.

Now what does happen with some apps, notably MS Office and Adobe apps, is when you install a new drive and clone to the new drive the app will detect it is on new hardware and make you reenter your registration serial number. No avoiding that either way.

21. bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member

OK i still have my product key so that shouldn't be a big deal. As long as i don't lose any of my documents or media on iTunes or anything like that, than i guess there's no problem upgrading once i install the new stuff.

Sorry for all the questions! Once I have my final list ready to go i'll post it in here and make sure i'm good to go!

22. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

If you want to save money by getting a smaller SSD but still need more capacity, check out the OWC data doubler. It replaces your optical drive so you can install a second hard drive. Keep the OS and your applications on the SSD and all your other files on your old HDD, best of both worlds (if you can live without an optical drive). They also sell an enclosure for around $30 that you can put the old optical drive in and make it an external.

23. bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so here is going to be my final list:

1)Battery: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAP13MBU65V/

2) RAM: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

I know those are more expensive than other options, but for some reason I feel more comfortable buying those from OWC.

3)SSD: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

4) USB to SATA Cable: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sabrent-USB-3.0-to-SATA-2.5-3.5-5.25-Hard-Drive-Converter/15819390

would this one work or should i just go to office depot instead and get this one:
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/861670/StarTechcom-USB-30-to-25-SATA/

24. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Good package.

Don't forget to upgrade the Boot ROM to MBP71.0039.B0E and the SMC to 1.62f7 .

It fixes a bug that some SSD's fall back to SATA I link speed.

25. bucsfan2425 thread starter macrumors member