Resolved ...upgrades for my PowerMac G4! WENT WITH A G5 INSTEAD!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by alexreich, Jun 6, 2012.

1. alexreich, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

After a lot of serious thought, I have decided that instead of purchasing a PowerMac G5 this summer, I'll just shell out some cash here and there and upgrade this old 400MHz G4 and make it my secondary computer. Since my mini is now plugged into my TV full-time, I need something at my desk :D.

Currently the system specs are as follows.
    PowerMac G4 (AGP Graphics)

CPU: 400MHz G4
    RAM: 896MB
    Graphics Card: (PC-flashed) Radeon 7000 64MB VRAM

What I would like to get out of this machine after upgrades are as follows:
    -Run OS X 10.5 Leopard at a decent speed.
    -Run iWork '09 steadily.
    -Browse the web with Safari (I absolutely hate TenFourFox!).
    -Play Late 90's and Early 00's games mainly around medium settings in both OS X and OS 9 (Call of Duty 1, 2, other FPS)

I know I need to max out the RAM to 2GB, but I don't know which CPU or graphics card to purchase that would suit my needs.

How powerful of a CPU do I need to perform these tasks? 1GHz? More?

What is the best graphics card for the my AGP G4 when it comes to PPC gaming? The ATI 9800?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I suggest a 1Ghz CPU at the very minimum. A dual 1.8Ghz 7448 G4 is the fastest one you can get, but they cost well over triple the overall value of the machine as it currently is and are very hard to find.

The 2Gb of ram is a must. As is a CoreImage capable video card. zen.state should be popping in here momentarily with some suggestions.

In regards to running Safari over TenFourFox, I highly recommend against this. Safari for PPC Macs hasn't been updated in a long time and is full of security holes and should only be used in emergencies or to download TenFourFox.

3. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

If 1GHz is the minimum and the 1.8GHz upgrade is ridiculously pricey, is this a reasonable CPU upgrade?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In my opinion, that one would work. That's the speed I have in my Cube and I find it works well for light web browsing. But before you buy that, wait for some other opinions.

5. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Will do. Plus, it's not like I've got the cash to throw out right now. Haha. Gotta wait for my paycheck.

After looking at things on eBay, I've calculated that it will cost me 136 dollars to upgrade this thing without the new graphics card. We'll have to wait and see how much the recommended graphics card is, so I can find out what all of this will cost me.

6. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Here's a 1GHz processor upgrade for $60 US on eBay. That alongside a RAM upgrade will work wonders for your PowerMac. You'd be able to run Leopard quite comfortably.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think the card zen.state has recommended in the past in the Nvidia GeForce 6200 flashed, never was a Mac version of this card. They run about $70 pre-flashed and pre-taped. The tape is needed for ADC G4 PowerMacs because the APG 8X pin corresponds with the power on/off pin of the ADC slot. Putting tape over this pin fixes this problem. The APG/Sawtooth PowerMac G4 that you have is not an ADC one. So I don't think you need to worry about taping the pins.

8. alexreich, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Is this the card you're speaking of? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Power...eo_TV_Cards&hash=item256f6b3a49#ht_1080wt_998

By the way, how much VRAM should I be looking for in this card? 128MB? 256MB? What can my system fully take advantage of?

Ahh, I had not thought about the security issues with an outdated Safari. And I figure with upgraded hardware TenFourFox would not run so sluggishly?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

10. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

11. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

With $230 you could buy a really solid G5. Sure would suck if you bought all that stuff and the motherboard pooped out a few weeks later.. That kind of money can easily get a dual 2.3 or better G5 which will run Leopard MUCH better.

12. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Damn... Decisions decisions. I can't decide what to do! I could upgrade my current machine, or I could get a 2GHz (or more) PowerMac G5 for around the same price. I guess I'd just need to sell my PowerMac G4 if I was going to buy a G5.

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'm telling you, pouring money into the G4 is not a worthwhile way to spend. I've used 1.5GHz G4 chips and I can assure you there is NO comparison to what kind of G5 you can buy for $230. I got a pair of 2.0GHz G5 systems for $123 each 2 years ago! The G5 is going to have MUCH faster RAM (and hold more of it), 10x the system bus, faster I/O like USB and FireWire 800, and graphics options that are just as good as and better than the 6200 for less money. Right now on eBay there is a 2.3GHz dual core G5 with 4GB of RAM ending in less than 5 hours and the bidding is at $107 with $50 to ship. Chances are good it'll end right around what you're looking to spend. Keep your eyes open and you're sure to come across a killer deal eventually.

14. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Hmmm. I may just play the waiting game a little bit longer and see what I come across.

15. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Maybe it's just me, but I would NEVER buy a CPU upgrade from that guy just because it's being shipped from China. I've bought stuff off ebay from Chinese sellers and the stuff's gotten here DOA or in multiple pieces.

16. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

That's why I did not select it as an upgrade. The 1.5GHz CPU would be what I'd buy.

17. jbarley, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Yes it's just you.
    In my experience it goes both ways, I've purchased several items from Chinese sellers through Ebay, really good prices usually shipping included, and so all have been positive experiences.

Just checked the link Taylor supplied and it claims to ship from the USA.

18. skinniezinho, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One thing I just remembered, your machine may not be able to use a dual G4 upgrade. Some APG Graphics/Sawtooth PowerMacs can, some can't. It has to do with the revision of the chipset you have in your machine. Use this link for more information: http://www.powerlogix.com/support/agp_dual_compat/index.html

20. Litany macrumors member

FYI, for $100 you can buy a 1.6 G5 that will be faster in every way than your G4.

The more you invest in that G4, the worse value it is.

"Doesn't seem too bad"? You can buy a dual 1.8 G5 for $210 that will ream a maxed out G4.

21. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I just bought a dual 2.0ghz g5 with 4gb of ram and a 160gb hard drive for $131. With 210 you can buy that and an awesome video card.

The guy still has a few more.

22. alexreich thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I ended up getting a 1.8GHz (single processor, single-core) PowerMac G5 for $75.

23. Litany macrumors member

Thats good, faster than even the most hopped up G4.

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A dual 7448 running at 1.8Ghz will give most single G5's a good run. They come out close in terms of speed, with the G4 being faster at some things and the G5 being faster at others.

25. Liquinn Suspended

What monitor are you using with the Powermac G5 just out of interest?