Upgrading 2g iPhone to 3.0 to use as a iTouch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bossxii, Jul 9, 2009.

1. bossxii macrumors 68000

So I've upgraded to the 3GS and everything went smooth. Used the SIM from the old phone to activate the new phone via iTunes etc...

The issue I ran into is with the 2g iPhone I hooked it up to upgrade to 3.0, everything went great until it restarted. Now it wants to hook to iTunes and won't complete without a SIM card. I figured no problems.. put in the SIM from my now 3GS and started thru the setup, then hit a snag, it's acting like I'm setting up another new Iphone and asking me to pick a plan, then a screen showing the $18 activation fee? So I canceled out of this and stopped before I ended up with another line from AT&T and lord knows talking to them is a joke.

So the question is how can I now unlock/finish the setup of my 2g phone so it can be used as a ipod or even sold without a SIM?

Thanks for any info.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, you can use it as an iPod touch or sell it without a SIM.

3. bossxii thread starter macrumors 68000

How do I finish installing the 3.0 firmware without activating as it's asking me too? The only sim I have is from my working 3GS.. that's my delima, I didn't wipe the phone prior to updating as I wanted to keep the apps on it. Now it has all my info and it's sitting on the screen to connect to iTunes to complete the activation.

4. richardhunt macrumors regular

You need to jailbreak it in order to activate it without a sim.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

I'm not sure the best way out of the situation, other than a phone call to AT&T. The new 3GS should have been activated with the SIM it came with. Then, your old phone would have just continued to operate as it did, sans the phone.

According to the KB article, you would need to get a replacement SIM for the 2G. It seems to me, though, you could put the old SIM back in the 2G - but, then you have to still call AT&T to deactivate and reactivate the 3GS on its new SIM (the one it came with). Either way, looks like a call to AT&T, unfortunately.

6. bossxii thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the info, I did try to activate the new 3GS with the SIM that came in it but it woudn't work, it kept asking for the SIM assigned to my phone number with AT&T. I guess I'll have to go in and talk to AT&T ugg.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yea, sounds like something got crossed up at their end :( Both myself and my wife did the 2G > 3GS upgrade and it went fine using the SIMs which came with the new phones. My 2G kept functioning like nothing happened, except for the "No Signal" now displayed.

Hopefully, you'll have one of those rare, no hassle, phone calls with AT&T ;)

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think you mean iPod touch

9. caonimadebi macrumors regular

You need to jailbreak and unlock your phone. I ran into a similar situation of putting in a regular AT&T SIM in a locked iphone 2G (an out of contract phone that was unsubsidized in the first place). iTunes prompted me go through the whole plan picking process. I decided to just jailbreak and unlock it with PwnageTool. iTunes 8.2 doesn't like the custom firmware, and it took a few tried before the pwned firmware was successfully installed. Now my iphone 2G doesn't make a fuss when i want to put in a SIM card of my choice, be it AT&T or T mobile.
    Check out http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ for more details

10. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Just shut iTunes and run RedSn0w. That will do it.