Upgrading an iMac Pro to 256GB of RAM Only Possible at Time of Purchase [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Update: Despite what Apple's internal document stated, OWC has released an aftermarket 256GB memory upgrade kit for the iMac Pro for $2,499.

Last week, Apple added a 256GB RAM configure-to-order option for the iMac Pro. Unfortunately, if you already purchased an iMac Pro with 128GB of RAM or less, upgrading to 256GB does not appear to be possible.

The new 256GB RAM option consists of four 64GB memory modules, and in an internal document distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers, Apple states that the new configured-to-order iMac Pro is the only model designed to work with those 64GB memory DIMMs. No reason is provided.

This information suggests that Apple Authorized Service Providers will not be able to upgrade an iMac Pro to 256GB of RAM, nor will third-parties like OWC. In other words, purchasing an iMac Pro with 256GB of RAM will only be possible via the CTO option on Apple's online store during the checkout process.

256GB of RAM is a $5,200 upgrade option on Apple's online store, in addition to the iMac Pro's base $4,999 price.

The standard iMac is a bit more fortunate, as OWC has confirmed that the new 27-inch models released last week can be upgraded with up to 128GB of RAM, despite maxing out at 64GB on Apple's online store.

Article Link: Upgrading an iMac Pro to 256GB of RAM Only Possible at Time of Purchase [Updated]

rreinhardt

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Did Apple allow the iMac Pro to be upgraded at a later time? I thought ever since they released the SSDs in Retina Machines that the parts couldn't be upgraded. Also the hard drives and RAM disappeared from www.apple.com some time ago.

Reactions: twocents

wtzouris

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
I'd like to see a benchmark test with actual software like Compressor showing the difference between an iMac with 64GB/128GB of RAM vs. 256 GB of RAM and then show me TWO iMacs with 64GB of RAM networked together doing the same Compressor process across all those cores. It's insane to think about spending double the cost of the computer for RAM. Why not get an iMac with 64 TB of SSD hard drive storage? Dumb. Show me the logical reason why this would be useful to any user, consumer or professional.

Last edited:

MacRS4

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
London, UK

Last week, Apple added a 256GB RAM configure-to-order option for the iMac Pro. Unfortunately, if you already purchased an iMac Pro with 128GB of RAM or less, upgrading to 256GB does not appear to be possible.

The new 256GB RAM option consists of four 64GB memory modules, and in an internal document distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers, Apple states that the new configured-to-order iMac Pro is the only model designed to work with those 64GB memory DIMMs.

This information suggests that Apple will not be able to upgrade an iMac Pro to 256GB of RAM at the Genius Bar, nor will third-parties like OWC. In other words, purchasing an iMac Pro with 256GB of RAM will only be possible by using the configuration options on Apple's online store during the checkout process.

256GB of RAM is a $5,200 upgrade option on Apple's online store, in addition to the iMac Pro's base $4,999 price.

The standard iMac is a bit more fortunate, as OWC has confirmed that the new 27-inch models released last week can be upgraded with up to 128GB of RAM, despite maxing out at 64GB on Apple's online store.

Article Link: iMac Pro Can Only Be Upgraded to 256GB RAM at Time of Purchase
[doublepost=1553784247][/doublepost]I had a hell of a time getting the ram upgraded in my iMac Pro. They couldn’t do it at at the apple stores.

See here http://www.markc.me.uk/blog/files/iMacProRAM.html

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
I'm not sure what professionals are in the market for an iMac Pro if they need 256 Gig. Until Apple comes out with a revised Mac Pro, I would probably looking at non-Apple solution for a lot less money.
I’m sure we’ll hear from many of them shortly. Just like all those who complain they need 32GB on the MBP.

Reactions: zapm and Saipher

brofkand

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2006
This is not new for Apple. Check out the MacTracker - there are decades of Macs that had "official" RAM capacities and "unofficial" RAM capacities. I'd be willing to bet that an iMac Pro built last year would still accept 256GB of RAM. Getting to it is another matter since it's sealed behind adhesive and probably two dozen fasteners.
[doublepost=1553784574][/doublepost]
Or anything on Android. ;)
What does Android have to do with the iMac Pro?

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I do wonder if this really is a thing or just something apple says

because apple has a history of saying their machines have a RAM cap, where in actuality they work with more then that

for example the take the MP5,1 officially that topped out at 64GB, but unofficially 128GB works perfectly fine, and even 256GB has been shown to work with some caveats (or the MacPro1,1 official max on that is 16GB, but up to 64GB works with no issues thats 4x higher then what apple officially supports)

the CPUs in the iMacPro1,1 support an official Max of 512GB according to intel

Reactions: jwdsail and aylk

Defoler

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
Why not offer the machine that supports the 256GB without forcing you to get the 256GB from them? ‍♂
My guess is that the hardware is just slightly different, but they have plenty of the other hardware.
So until that is gone, they reserve the new one for new sales with the 256GB.

Also considering the price of 256GB ECC memory, even without paying apple's insane price, I expect not that many are going for that option anyway.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
This seems to imply that either that the 128GB and lower configs will only have two DIMM slots, or that Apple won't perform the upgrade. If it's the former, well that sucks. But that's unlikely. If it it's the latter, then I don't read this to mean it can't be upgraded on your own or by a third party.

Reactions: aylk

BaccaBossMC

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
NC, USA
Did Apple allow the iMac Pro to be upgraded at a later time? I thought ever since they released the SSDs in Retina Machines that the parts couldn't be upgraded. Also the hard drives and RAM disappeared from www.apple.com some time ago.
A surprising amount of internal components can be upgraded after the fact in the iMac Pro, even the CPU. LinusTechTips did a few videos on it a couple of months ago.

Reactions: freedomlinux