Upgrading both phones on a family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b_scott, Jun 10, 2010.

1. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

Has anyone ordered through the mail before on a family plan? Both my wife and my phones are on my family account. I have a 3GS and she has a 3G. We're both eligible for upgrade pricing with an $18 charge per phone.

Can I order both phones online and have them both delivered to me, activate my phone at work and then just set her phone up when we get home that night?

Seems like this will all work out fine but I didn't know if I wasn't thinking of something. Thanks! :apple:

2. b_scott thread starter macrumors 6502a

b_scott

3. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

i think you might have to place 2 separate orders for each line, because existing customers are given an option to upgrade 1 line or add a line....that's what i'll be doing...

4. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I'm in the same situation. Anyone know for sure? First year upgrading two iPhones on a family plan. :eek:

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, yes, and yes. :) I'm going to do the same thing except activate them both from home. Location doesn't matter.

6. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Same boat here, two phones both eligible. I don't understand how some people are saying that you have to make one order per phone, as I've also heard to be sure to place both phones in your cart otherwise you'll be blocked since its one order per household. I'm confused. :(

When and if someone somehow knows for sure, before the morning of the 15th, can you please let us know here?

7. b_scott thread starter macrumors 6502a

b_scott

8. nowstime macrumors regular

Called AT&T on Friday and told me family plan members can preorder as many as lines eligible for upgrade in the account. Must be done in store and one person can preorder for all of them.

If you want it shipped, it will arrive on launch day but if picked up, you will get it on the 25th.

Here's my question...
    If I have a family plan and plan to up preorder can I do it at the Apple store? Called Apple store last week and told me they are only able to sell to new subscribers or individual plan holders....which I think doesn't make sense.

If Apple store is able to take preorders for family plan members can I pick them up on launch day?

9. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

10. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I used the online chat through the apple store site to try and confirm anything and the rep said that they can't do preorders for family plans online at all... wow, what kind of people do they hire for these things?

11. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

Confirmed this as well through 2 different AT&T sources (corporate and my local store). Apparently in order to pre-order 2 phone on a family plan you need to do this in person at an AT&T store.

I was also told you would not be able to have the phone delivered, and would have to wait until the 25th to pick up the phone.

Crap.

12. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Existing AT&T customers can upgrade all eligible lines and have them delivered. You don't have to go inside a store.

13. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I don't understand where these incompetent employees are getting their "info" from.. unless they've change the policy from last year there's no way that customers will not be able to order phones online if they are under a family plan. I was told that people under such a plan can't pre-order iphones AT ALL online, not even one.

14. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

Are you 100% certain? I was under the impression that this was the case, but I'm now hearing many different answers. Do you know if you order online if the iphones have to be on separate orders, both on the same pre-order or it doesn't matter?

15. stevejobbers macrumors member

Does anyone out there have a clear idea of how this actually works, and maybe has done it before?

I have a family plan with 2 iphone 3G's that I would like to upgrade at the same time. I have a single Apple account. If I order from Apple.com will I be allowed to place 2 iphones in my cart? What about from the AT&T website? I'd really prefer to order these online than deal with the lines at the stores.

Or would it make sense to upgrade one of the phones on Apple.com and the other phone on AT&T.com?

16. b_scott thread starter macrumors 6502a

b_scott

any solid consensus? Some saying you have to do it instore, some saying online is cool.......? I want it delivered, if that helps.

17. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

I'm going to the ATT store just to be safe. Guess I'll find out tomorrow if we can have it delivered. I may try to order it online first to see if that option is available.

Incompetency drives me nuts.

18. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

last year was a current family plan at$t customer and pre-ordered for both phones online via apple. had to place 2 orders.... on per line....

i had no issues with our FAN account everything went very smoothly....

19. mckandy macrumors member

I have this exact same question. So confusing with some saying you have to go to an AT&T store, some saying you can preorder both phones online. I wish they would clarify this!

20. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

thank you for your concise answer, with so much confusion surrounding the preorder process its getting very annoying. I will hope that nothing is changed from last year and it will go just as smoothly for me.

21. mckandy macrumors member

I just did an apple store chat and the woman said I would be able to order both phones on the same order tomorrow from apple's website. She also said there was still no word on when preorders start.

22. natasha69 macrumors 6502

last year i ordered both lines off apple's websites for our family plan.

23. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

I just chatted to an online Apple Store representative who told me that family plans can only upgrade their phones in store. (AT&T stores)

My girlfriend and I walked into the SoHo store to upgrade our original iPhones to 3Gs, and it was fine.

This time I want to pre order and get the phones delivered but no one seems to have a definite answer?

24. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

did you place 2 orders or were they both on one transaction/credit card?

25. natasha69 macrumors 6502

Oline chat agents are nororiouslt bad sources of information.

Phone customer service is probably your best net.