Upgrading CPU in older MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JB97031, Aug 10, 2013.

1. JB97031 macrumors newbie

I have a MacPro with a 2 x3 GHz Dual - core xeon processor. I can't upgrade my OS above 10.6.8 and thus can't run some of the newer programs.

Can I put in a 3.2 quad core in the computer or should I just turn it into a door stop.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Door stop sounds like a better idea. Upgrading a CPU can be expensive, plus the work regarding the actual change process will be complicated or hard.

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

You haven't given us enough information. What model Mac Pro do you have? And, no matter what model it is, it should be upgradeable to at least OS 10.7.5. Why don't you think you can upgrade it further? I'll assume you have a 1,1 Mac Pro. If so, you can upgrade the firmware to 2,1 and it will accept early generation quad core CPUs.

How much RAM in your machine?

Lou

4. JB97031 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried to upgrade it and I keep getting the message that I can't install Mt Lion.

Info:
    MacPro 1,1
    16 GB Ram
    Bus Speed 1.33 GHZ

5. MacVidCards Suspended

You can get 5365 chips that have 4 cores each, only real CPU upgrade.

Ml is 10.8, you can do 10.7.5, ie LION

6. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

That's true - You can't install Mountain Lion (10.8), but you can install the latest release of Lion (10.7.5). Nothing you do to your machine will allow it to run ML unless you hack the machine, but something tells me that's a wee bit above your skill level. However, IMO, Lion will let you run all your programs. I don't think there's anything out there that's ML specific yet.

Lou

----------

If he does that, he'd need to firmware upgrade his machine to a 2,1. Don't think he's ready for that.

Lou

7. ChrisFerri macrumors member

ChrisFerri

I recently put in Xeon X5355 into my Mac Pro 1,1. Got it for $75 on eBay. Really bumped up the power. Only trouble I had was getting the fan array out but other then that it was pretty seamless.

8. JB97031 thread starter macrumors newbie