Upgrading from 3G to 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheGambler, Mar 20, 2011.

  1. TheGambler macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2011
    #1
    So I have the iphone 3g and in general, i lov the features and the phone. However, I'm sure many of you are aware of the lagging issues on the phone. I have the newest firmware however it still has a bit of lag.

    I'm thinking about selling the 3G on ebay or something like it and then spending around $100 or so (which I believe is the difference on ebay) and just getting the 3GS to hold me over until my next upgrade in about a year.

    For those of you who have experienced both of these phone, would you say this is worth it , or would I just be wasting time and money?
     
  2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

    WillEH

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2011
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #2
    Personally, I'd say it's worth it. But then again, you could buy the iPhone 4..
     
  3. TheGambler thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2011
    #3
    Iphone4 is not an option, I'm content on waiting for the 5, (or even 6) when my next upgrade becomes available. Trying to budget here....
     
  4. WillEH macrumors 6502a

    WillEH

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2011
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #4
  5. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #5
    I bet when Apple releases iOS5 for the 3GS, it will become rather slow like your 3G. I would personally just downgrade the 3G to 3.1.3 (which should be easy since you don't need those SHSH blobs if you haven't saved them), unlike the 3GS which would need those SHSH blobs to run anything lower than what you got it with. The 3GS is good, but its already getting slow with the 4.3 update.
     
  6. TheGambler thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2011
    #6
    Is 3.1.3 faster than the 4.2.1?
     
  7. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #7
    Yep.
     
  8. Small White Car macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #8
    For you I'd suggest holding out 'till the iPhone 5 and then using your upgrade abilities to (hopefully) get the iPhone 4 for $100.

    I obviously don't know anything yet, but I suspect the i4 will run iOS 5 just fine.
     
  9. TheGambler thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2011
    #9
    Good info in here guys...thanks for the help.

    I think I will hold on to the 3G and attempt to downgrade to 3.1.3...hopefully it is a painless process.
     
  10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

    Reach9

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Location:
    In America
    #10
    Hey buddy, i too have an iPhone 3G and so i feel your issues about the lag.
    I had mine since the iPhone 3G first came out in '08, so it's been a while and i'm just waiting for the iPhone 5 now. I suggest you do the same, you won't be disappointed, and i don't think the iPhone 5 will start to lag anytime soon with it's dual core processors!
     
  11. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

    Leet Apple

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #11
    its very simple PM me and i'll give you instructions
     
  12. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

    Staindsoul

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Texas
  13. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

    Loves2spoon

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #13
    Unlock & Jailbreak - post it for $350 on craigslist OBO.
     
  14. TheGambler thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2011
    #14
    Leet- Thanks a lot for the offer! Just sent you a PM...

    Spooner- If I could get $350 I would have sold it by now...
     

Share This Page