Upgrading iPad 3 to 4, no I'm not crazy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MF878, Oct 26, 2012.

1. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

I've got a third gen iPad I've had since launch and an iPhone 5 just a few days away. Two days ago, I wasn't overly fussed about the 4th gen iPad, after all I just bought an iPad seven months ago, so why should I upgrade?

Then I realised I'll never be able to have one dock that works as long as I have devices with two separate connectors. Sure, there's adapters, but why pay thirty bucks per adapter when I can have a new device for a hundred thanks to Apple's high resale values? Not to mention the fact that after using an iPhone 5 in store, my iPad felt like a bit of a dinosaur in speed by comparison.

As pissed off as I am about my device being outdated sooner than usual, Apple has no obligations here, and I may as well bite the bullet if it's not going to hit the wallet much. I'll certainly be cringing the whole way through, but in the end, I'll have the matching pair of devices that saves me a pain in the ass.

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. Please report back with other activities of daily life so we know exactly what's going on in your life.

3. thatoneguy82, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yay! I like your entry. Though, it's a bit silly that you worry about money then you spend as much as you can on cables/devices since you consider charging cables seem to be far more important; or the simplicity of charging. I'll trade you some for money, fancy cables and adapters. ;)

4. Jnava420 macrumors regular

Upgraded from 3 to 4 too (let the haters hate haha cnet 404 viewers, actually got my voicemail played on today's episode 10/25) I like all my devices using 1 charger just like you yeah it kinda sucks the 3 is out dated so fast but there is no rule saying apple can't update before a year we should just be happy how long apple has done us right with the products in the past and hope they go back to the yearly cycle

5. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Why do people have to be such smart asses all the time? Original poster just ignore the BS.. I feel like you do about the lightening connector. One of the big reasons I sold my iPad 3 and got a Mini was so that I'd be able to have all my iDevices using the same cables. I've always hated the 30 pin connector anyway. So, this works!

6. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Also upgrading from iPad 3 to 4. Really hate the idea of having different cables for different iDevices.

7. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Upgrading makes sense only if you think what the new iPad offers is necessary.
    Out of curiosity, what usual tasks on the iPad demand more CPU or graphical performance for you?

8. MF878 thread starter macrumors regular

MF878

Dude, calm the farm. The idea of the post was to see if anyone else was in the same boat, even though I didn't explicitly say so. I thought it would be assumed.

----------

Well I won't pretend to be a power user, I certainly don't NEED the extra horsepower, although the A5X is slow as hell at app switching.

9. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

Did same and I'm not crazy either though friends and family are saying otherwise :(.

Must be jealous :p.

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

His response is not worst than LostSoul's.

This place is full of people like this. These are people who have reasoned that they do not need or can not afford the 4. :rolleyes:

11. ramnj macrumors member

Upgrading because I only bought the 3rd Gen two weeks ago and fortunately get to just exchange it for the 4th Gen.

12. capcaveman macrumors member

Just went from the 3 to the 4 too, mainly because I'd rather have a black one than the white 3rd generation I got stuck with and I do a fair bit of gaming on my ipad so see faster specs will be nice.

13. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

That is a turdlike response. Become a nicer person and you will enjoy life more.

14. hobx macrumors regular

Count me as another 3 to 4 upgrader. Ignore the haters. I'm sure many of these same people would upgrade their computer motherboards and processors and quite rightly think it was a completely new system.

But because this is a device, a completely new proc isn't a change?

15. sinsin07, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

sinsin07 macrumors 68030

+1

Thanks. LMAO. Couldn't agree more.

And yeah, I put my order in for an iPad 4, and selling my iPad 3. However I had no over whelming urge to post a kumbayah thread on it.

16. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

I don't hope they do this at all. Rather than stuff themselves into some arbitrary schedule, if they have justification or an impactful refresh they should do it. Get the technology out and let the buyers decide.

If its too early for some people, then the can wait. Everyone else can choose to have th newer technology.

17. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

You are definitely gonna love the ipad 4. All the haters saying you blew it by buying a "minor updated" ipad 4 are delusional. A6X will kick so much aXX, you're gonna witness amazon, google, and microsht all drop their panties down simultaneously.

The ones that are complaining about the ipad 4 are the ones who felt "screwed" by apple after only 6 months of honeymooning with their beloved ipad 3. I too own an iPad 3 and do envy you but I will await the real deal ipad 5 come 2013.

My ipads are completely still usable and I see no point in wasting money because like how I waited for the iphone 5, it was so worth it!

18. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

YES! Well said!:rolleyes:

19. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

I yet have to find a worthwhile dock for the iPad. Usually you can't use them with the iPad being in a slightly thicker case (e.g. leather) and on top of that most of them are so flimsy I'd be afraid of the whole construction toppling over if looked at too sharply.

Hence i have grown used to simply laying the device down and plugging the cable in.

Hopefully you never need to charge two of them at the same time...

20. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I'm also attempting to upgrade from 3 to 4. Waiting for my 3 to sell on eBay.

21. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I just want to upgrade to the 'newer' iPad because of the convenience of using one sync/charge cable to share with my iPhone 5.

I game a lot on my iPad 3 but haven't noticed any slow down or glitches in performance to yearn for a better chip.. and I own many high intense graphic games....so with that said, I will keep it and just buy the 30pin to lightning adapter.

This decision would have been much easier if Apple had just included an adpater free in iPhone 5 boxes, probably would have soften the butt hurt to those who bought iPad 3's at launch and feel shafted by Apple early revamp..

22. AJAAY macrumors regular

Can people just come out and say they want to upgrade to the iPad 4 from the 3 just because they want the latest iPad. Just be honest with yourself. Why create these asinine excuses to make it seem like you "have" to upgrade and you have no other choice. It's okay to admit that you just want the latest gadget. Because if Apple were to release an iPad 5 in the beginning of 2013, then you will hear the same excuses and rationales of people who "have" to upgrade to the 5. You just want the latest gadget.

23. THFourteen macrumors 6502

Thats gotta be one of the best posts i've ever read on this forum.

Too right.

I ordered an ipad mini just because i wanted one. No real other reason or "need" to change from my ipad 3.

24. Jnava420 macrumors regular

Thank you that is me exactly its not that I care what others think heck they look the exact same it's the fact in my mind I will know I am holding a inferior device and that there is something better out there just can't live with that yeah sure I got better things to worry about but it's something I can solve right away

25. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

yep - I am upgrading from 3 to 4 too. I want the faster cpu. :)
    and I pre-ordered at 3:01 ET last night. That apple store app on the iphone is really nice!!