Upgrading Mac Mini Ram

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Shadylane315, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Shadylane315 macrumors regular

Looking to upgrade my ram and I'm not sure where to buy it from. Would love to know of a place that has a trade in program for the ram already inside the machine.

2. surroundfan macrumors 6502

3. Shadylane315 thread starter macrumors regular

4. surroundfan macrumors 6502

In that case, any 1333MHz SO-DIMM will work a treat.* 8GB is pretty reasonable at ~$50, but if you wanted to splurge, a 16GB kit can be had for under $400 these days (and likely to plummet below $200 by the end of the year, if previous trends are anything to go by).

You'd get $14 for your RAM, but I presume you'd have to post it in, cutting the savings.

*Cheap stuff is a bit riskier, but should still be okay.

5. RByers89 macrumors newbie

I bought this. Has a $10 mail in rebate this month only so buy it quick and turn it in. Only $35ish for 8gb is a good deal IMO. Been working great for me.

6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Pretty much any RAM is hit or miss. I've relied on OWC/MacSales for RAM in the past, but the original and replacement modules I got from them for my 2010 Mini had problems. The modules took several months to troubleshoot, and by the time I was able to return them, they only wanted to refund me the (much lower) market price, which rubbed me the wrong way from a company that's usually very good with customer service (to their credit, they did ultimately process a full refund). I'm currently using cheap G.Skill modules from Newegg and they're working fine.

All in all, despite my individual experience with OWC I still think they're the go-to place for RAM. Just run your new modules through a pass of Rember/memtest to make sure they're good. Any decent company should accept a bad memtest result for an RMA.

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

usa sales only

here is a sale on 8gb ram 35 bucks
    and a free flash card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

I have purchased more then 40 sticks of this. I am 40 for 40 with this ram
    every stick has passed a 5 pass rember test on a 2011 mac mini.

8. RByers89 macrumors newbie

Guess it would help if I pasted the link? :p

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YUF8ZG