Upgrading Macbook Pro RAM.

Macdeez

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Leeds, UK.
Well I've decided to upgrade my mbp because when i have more than a few applications open it does feel less responsive... I have a early 2011 13" mbp with its stock 4GB ram. I'd like to upgrade my ram but I don't really know that much about computer components so please if anyone can tell me what the best ram for an mbp would be? I don't mind it being a bit more pricy than usual and if it could be an item available on amazon because im in the UK and lots of companies only ship to the US.

I want two 4GB sticks.

Thank you :)

Oh and I was looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Sod...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1322316577&sr=1-1, any good?

Edit : Ok I just recieved this 8GB kit from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YUF8ZG and installed it, feels much faster and responsive now. :D

Last edited:

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
I would go to crucial's web site. They have a memory "chooser" that will help you select the correct memory for your MBP. OWS also does . . .

Nick McEnjoy

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
Check with Apple whether this operation would void your warranty (if applicable).
Go to Crucial to check which RAM matches your machine.
Go to some reliable sites (for example, Amazon) to check the prices.
Go to youtube to learn how to do the upgrade and testing.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Fitting Ram

Is a simple job. Allow the Crucial scanner to identify your current setup and provide with your options.

I can guarantee that upgrading your RAM yourself will not affect your warranty with Apple. I checked this myself when I took my iMac from 8 to 16GB

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
What, you couldn't be bothered to simply search and find the dozens of other threads addressing the EXACT SAME ISSUE instead of starting a new thread?

dspindl

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2011
Easy to do

I upgraded my 17" Macbook pro. I got 8g of memory for $60 from OWC. The upgrade went smoothly and was very simple and easy. They have videos on their website showing exactly how to do it. http://macsales.com/

GTANJ

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
What, you couldn't be bothered to simply search and find the dozens of other threads addressing the EXACT SAME ISSUE instead of starting a new thread?
Why waste your time even making this post? For the sake of being a douche?

GTANJ

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
So the OP will learn something for next time? You may enjoy reading redundant, repetitive threads but not everyone else does.
How does it affect you in any way? Just ignore the threads that you don't want to read instead of being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. Not everyone lives on a forum.

Nick McEnjoy

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
I have no problem with the thread. I'm tired with those like you to drop by and post useless posts just like yours. If you don't like it, why come?

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
How does it affect you in any way? Just ignore the threads that you don't want to read instead of being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. Not everyone lives on a forum.
Whether this affects me in any way is irrelevant. Besides, I believe forum rules state that posting new threads when the question has already been asked and answered multiple times in other threads is frowned upon. Is there any harm in doing a search before starting a new thread? It's not a hard concept to grasp.

If you don't like my posts, take your own advice and ignore them. Nick McEnjoy, you can do the same.

Nick McEnjoy

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
If you don't like my posts, take your own advice and ignore them. Nick McEnjoy, you can do the same.
Well, imagine a group of people is discussing something in this campus. You dropped by and told them the subject had been discussed in many threads twenty years ago so stop talking and go dig them up and if we did not like your idea just ignore it.
Ha ha. You're funny, you know. Thanks for the laugh.
Jesus was born two thousand years ago and they are still discussing about him. People just like discussing. Don't you get it?

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California
I have no problem with the thread. I'm tired with those like you to drop by and post useless posts just like yours. If you don't like it, why come?
Your posts in this thread were exactly that, useless and offered wrong information.

You are not adding anything to the conversation.

----------

Calm down, dude.
Things can change. That's what I'm saying.
Seriously mis informed. Apple has always allowed users to upgrade ram and hd. The design of the computers allows for easy access to upgradable components. This will not change over night.

You are full of bad info and should stopped posting your nonsense and potentially leading someone astray.

Last edited by a moderator:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Seriously mis informed. Apple has always allowed users to upgrade ram and hd. The design of the computers allows for easy access to upgradable components. This will not change over night.
It probably won't change overnight, but Apple has pulled away from that design to a degree. They've made it increasingly difficult to change a hard drive in an imac (note the HDD can't be swapped with a retail HDD anymore) and ram in the macbook air is soldered to the motherboard. I never personally assume that every user will know these things.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Crucial's website is the way to go for crucial ram but I also recommend Kingston, G-Skill;Hydrial

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.