Upgrading Macbook Pro RAM.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macdeez, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Macdeez, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

Macdeez macrumors member

Well I've decided to upgrade my mbp because when i have more than a few applications open it does feel less responsive... I have a early 2011 13" mbp with its stock 4GB ram. I'd like to upgrade my ram but I don't really know that much about computer components so please if anyone can tell me what the best ram for an mbp would be? I don't mind it being a bit more pricy than usual and if it could be an item available on amazon because im in the UK and lots of companies only ship to the US.

I want two 4GB sticks.

Thank you :)

Oh and I was looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Sod...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1322316577&sr=1-1, any good?

Edit : Ok I just recieved this 8GB kit from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YUF8ZG and installed it, feels much faster and responsive now. :D

2. waynep macrumors 6502

I would go to crucial's web site. They have a memory "chooser" that will help you select the correct memory for your MBP. OWS also does . . .

3. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

Check with Apple whether this operation would void your warranty (if applicable).
    Go to Crucial to check which RAM matches your machine.
    Go to some reliable sites (for example, Amazon) to check the prices.
    Go to youtube to learn how to do the upgrade and testing.

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You can get RAM from Crucial, Corsair...there's a lot of reputable companies out there. Upgrading your RAM will NOT void your warranty. Instructions are on Apple's support site: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270#link1

5. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

Precaution, you know, in case thing changed overnight :D

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Fitting Ram

Is a simple job. Allow the Crucial scanner to identify your current setup and provide with your options.

I can guarantee that upgrading your RAM yourself will not affect your warranty with Apple. I checked this myself when I took my iMac from 8 to 16GB

7. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

What, you couldn't be bothered to simply search and find the dozens of other threads addressing the EXACT SAME ISSUE instead of starting a new thread?

8. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

WTH are you talking about? Apple even has instructions on their website on how to change RAM.

will not void any warranty.

9. dspindl macrumors member

Easy to do

I upgraded my 17" Macbook pro. I got 8g of memory for $60 from OWC. The upgrade went smoothly and was very simple and easy. They have videos on their website showing exactly how to do it. http://macsales.com/

10. GTANJ macrumors member

Why waste your time even making this post? For the sake of being a douche?

11. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

So the OP will learn something for next time? You may enjoy reading redundant, repetitive threads but not everyone else does.

12. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

Calm down, dude.
    Things can change. That's what I'm saying.

13. GTANJ macrumors member

How does it affect you in any way? Just ignore the threads that you don't want to read instead of being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. Not everyone lives on a forum.

14. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

I have no problem with the thread. I'm tired with those like you to drop by and post useless posts just like yours. If you don't like it, why come?

15. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Whether this affects me in any way is irrelevant. Besides, I believe forum rules state that posting new threads when the question has already been asked and answered multiple times in other threads is frowned upon. Is there any harm in doing a search before starting a new thread? It's not a hard concept to grasp.

If you don't like my posts, take your own advice and ignore them. Nick McEnjoy, you can do the same.

16. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

Well, imagine a group of people is discussing something in this campus. You dropped by and told them the subject had been discussed in many threads twenty years ago so stop talking and go dig them up and if we did not like your idea just ignore it.
    Ha ha. You're funny, you know. Thanks for the laugh.
    Jesus was born two thousand years ago and they are still discussing about him. People just like discussing. Don't you get it?

17. Lee Adama, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2011

Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

Your posts in this thread were exactly that, useless and offered wrong information.

You are not adding anything to the conversation.

----------

Seriously mis informed. Apple has always allowed users to upgrade ram and hd. The design of the computers allows for easy access to upgradable components. This will not change over night.

You are full of bad info and should stopped posting your nonsense and potentially leading someone astray.

18. happle macrumors 6502a

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It probably won't change overnight, but Apple has pulled away from that design to a degree. They've made it increasingly difficult to change a hard drive in an imac (note the HDD can't be swapped with a retail HDD anymore) and ram in the macbook air is soldered to the motherboard. I never personally assume that every user will know these things.

20. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Crucial's website is the way to go for crucial ram but I also recommend Kingston, G-Skill;Hydrial

21. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

22. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

23. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Philips #00 screwdriver.

24. jekyl macrumors 6502

jekyl

I'm going through the same thing for my 2010 13", but chose Mushkin Enhanced DDR3 1066 ram, hopefully this isn't a bad choice.

25. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

What's the difference between 1066 and 1333 mhz?