Upgrading music to iTunes Plus - still possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dove, Mar 7, 2013.

1. dove macrumors member

Hi guys

Today I was looking into making some of my old iTunes music purchases DRM-free. However, I couldn't find a link anywhere to iTunes Plus. Anyone know if it's still possible to upgrade music to iTunes Plus?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Probably not the answer you are looking for but Match will do it.

3. dove thread starter macrumors member

Actually, that's a very intriguing answer! If true, then that would be a *much* cheaper way to go about it.

So how would this work exactly? I activate iTunes Match, delete all my DRM'd songs, and then redownload them?

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Activate iTunes Match, wait patiently until it does its job, _make a backup of everything_, then delete all songs that are "matched" and re-download them.

I had plenty of songs imported from CDs at 192KBit/second which got upgraded as well. On the other hand, it is possible that iTunes stopped selling a song, in which case you can't upgrade it because they just don't have it (but you couldn't upgrade to iTunes Plus in that case anyway).

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

6. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

7. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Why need Match? If he already purchased the songs through iTunes way back when iTunes had DRM, can't the OP simply redownload those songs DRM-free? Afaik, all music in iTunes is without DRM so a simple redownload would do the trick.

8. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Yea try a simple redownload - iTunes in the Cloud may have negated the need for plus - we did get a free 720p to 1080p upgrade ...

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No. If the song was never upgraded to Plus then an iCloud redownload will still have DRM. I can confirm this first-hand, although can't guarantee that it's the case for every song on there (e.g. it may vary based on record company).