Upgrading on o2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxchefxx, Jun 8, 2009.

1. xxchefxx macrumors member

Anyone know what the deal will be with upgrading my iphone 3g to a new one when it gets released. I got my iphone last year on the day it came out and I vaguely remember about iphone 2g being able to upgrade their contacts early or was that just a dream I had. Any info would be great in im the UK on an 18 month contract with o2 thanks

2. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

You'll be able to upgrade once you've paid for the old one.

ie about January time

3. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

I'm not completely sure to be honest, but I should think that those with iPhone contracts, which have been running for at least 9 months will be given the same upgrade route as they were for the iPhone 3G. I can't see any upgrades being free, unless anybody decides to go down the ludicrous route of paying £75/m (or whatever the most expensive contract is), or getting the lowest model on the £45/m contract.

I can also see many people having to add a new £7.50/m bolt-on for tethering too, as the chances of this being included are pretty slim.

Don't forget though, there might not be a new iPhone!

4. Que macrumors 6502

why don't you wait until tomorrow, dial 2302 from your iphone and ask o2 customer services the same question?

that way you'll get answers from the horses mouth.

simple.

5. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that the phone is paid off half way through the contract, which is why O2 provide the option to downgrade to the next package down after 9 months.

6. Ayepawd macrumors newbie

Hi.

I was sure I was told I would receive a free upgrade whenever Apple brought out a new phone, but I think you have to sign up for another 18 months from the date of upgrade?

7. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I also got my 3G on date of release. I mailed O2 and they said that it would be December before I could upgrade:

"I understand your concern that you want to upgrade your contract when the new iPhone will release in the next two and three month. Your 18 month contract term started on 10 July 2008 and it'll be completed on 10 January 2010. This means you'll be eligible to upgrade your contract on or after 10 December 2009.

I'm afraid you won't be eligible to upgrade your contract, as you've not yet completed the seventeenth month of your contract term.

I hope I've resolved your query to your satisfaction
    . "

8. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Interesting, I'd only had my 2G iPhone about 2 months (bought it when O2 lowered the price to get rid of them) and then upgraded to the 3G iPhone on release day by simply agreeing to another 18 month contract and paying the £99

9. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Not saying that this isn't correct but I'd wait until the new phone is released first.

When the 3G got released last year, the amount of information that was being bandied about by clueless O2 staff was amazing.

It's not been released yet so they won't have a clue.

Although I kind of don't expect the same upgrade options this time around from O2. Fingers crossed though.

10. The Phazer macrumors 68030

That's because the 2G wasn't subsidised. The 3G was.

Nobody really knows what will happen yet. Ask again tomorrow.

Phazer

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

But that was a completely different scenario. :)

The original iPhone you bought outright unsubsidised…

Then with the release of the 3G, O2 (and ATT) offered those original 1st gen buyers an opportunity to break their contracts and upgrade to the subsidised iPhone 3G…

Now that you have entered into a contract with O2 with a subsidised iPhone you have to wait out your contract…

12. mvp2206 macrumors regular

mvp2206

By this point, you may as well wait another 6 months for the next iPhone which will inevitably be released! I have a feeling the iPhone being announced tomorrow will be more of a "refresh" with a more High Profile iPhone announced in 2010.

13. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

What chimpboy quoted is the normal o2 upgrade routine. When the 3g was released this was waived in favour of allowing upgrades as long as they were paid for and the contract extended. Most likely will be the same this time.

14. spookme macrumors member

As an O2 customer and ex employee I have to say that pretty much I can honestly see that they WILL hold us to the 17th month on our contracts.

It's been discussed in a different thread, but the situation with 2G - 3G upgrades was very different to now. 2G phones were paid for in full by the customer. 3G phones were subsidised, unfortunately as iPhone 3G customers we will be in the same boat as every other person with a phone contract. No Upgrade until you reach the minimum term. With one possible exception............ if you are a "select" customer in which case you can normally upgrade 3 months before the end of you term.

Althougth as a marketeer, I have to say that it would make good business sense for O2 to let us have some sort of upgrade option when the new phone comes unfortunately I really personally don't think it will happen. It is for this reason that personally I'm not to excited about the possability of a new phone.

15. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

No I doubt we'll get cut any slack for the new iPhone. My iPhone 3G suffered a bit of an accident though so I'll need to replace it one way or another. <sigh>

16. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

when I got the mail from O2 I was dissappointed and then thought that they might do something to ensure that I extended my contract (ie let me upgrade and extend the contract) when the new phone is released.

I think I will see what 3.0 brings and I anticipate this being enough to keep me going till December anyway. I might then wait for the next version to come out (unless apple announce somthing for the version today that really tickles my fancy and chances are they will - I wasnt going to upgrade to 3G and hey I ended up getting it on release day!)

17. charltonx macrumors member

This is exactly what I intend to do, if O2 don't let me upgrade until December (1 month before my contract finishes), which I think they are likely to do, then I may as well hold onto my 3G; with OS 3.0 I can wait another 6 months and see what happens in June next year.

That said I can see a lot of other people doing that also, so O2 may wait to see how sales go on the new iPhone (if there is one!) and then have another think about things. As a year has now passed since the release of the 3G, peoples contracts have come to a end on other phones and they've gone and tied themselves down with a 3G, which could well affect sales of the next iPhone.

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

On the other hand there are also people still using the 1st gen iPhone who didn't upgrade to 3G and we are free to upgrade any time…

Swings and roundabouts for O2, I'd say.

19. Que macrumors 6502

it would make sense for o2 to get us tied to a contract beyond 2010 since that's when their contract with apple runs out.

anyway, shall we see if there is actually a new iphone first?

20. spookme macrumors member

Ok, so I try and explain a little better or in more detail, there is two schools of thinking on this subject.

1 That O2/Apple do something.
    From a business point of view, or more to the point to keep hold of your current market position in terms of number of units supplied it would make sense for O2/Apple to offer some sort of upgrade route before the end of your current term. By doing so they could both ensure that customer numbers match if not surpass take up on the 3G. by not offering this, all exsisting customers will have to sit tight, this would then mean that they would be looking to "recruit" new customers. If the iPhone new model isn't something stunning it would be very difficult for O2 to bring in hoards of new customers or more to the point enough that it could justify the cost with launching within the retail situation. Therefore I think they may end up having to do something to just keep the units moving and to ensure the exclusiverty with Apple remains.

2 That O2/Apple do nothing.
    By doing this they will become relient on exsisting customer paying huge sums of money to "buy" the new phone but keep their exsisting contract. In the current economic climate the only people that are likely to do this are the true "fans" and whilst most of us are really in love with the iphone typically i doubt we could afford a huge sum of cash right now. Again this means that they will target the non O2 customers, if the phone isnt mind blowing then its going to be a struggle.

In view of this and what is suggested through the later rumours of the site I can see that any new phone this year really will be looking to bring the phone into live with current technology, no big break through on it, a little refresh, some nice tweaks to get those customers who are not currently on plan with O2. next year is likely to see the all singing and dancing iphone. This way both Apple and O2 can ensure a huge influx of takers and evemn maybe some new ons from other networks.

In the marketing arena at the moment the big push is on PR and public perception, not offers and gimiks. The choices made about a new phone will have been taken long before the current economic situation, but the launch and fan fair and business model WILL have to take all of this into account. The PR push to encourage us to change will be the biggest challenege and will be what drives the new product forward. Hopefully O2/Apple will see this and make the right choice.

Therefore I personally believe that we will see something very soon, I dont think it will be anything more than a "facelift" rather than a new singing and dancing phone. O2 will sit on their hands for a while and see how the market holds when first launched without an option to early upgrade and if take up isnt good, then they will offer something to bring us in and upgrade.

Again, all my own personal view, I have no contact with anyone who actuallty knows anything I just use my own experience within business etc.

21. charltonx macrumors member

Very true; all the people I know that had the original iPhone though couldn't help themselves and upgraded to the 3G as soon as it was released.

We'll see, if they do give an upgrade route somewhere down the line then it will ultimately cost £££s.

22. ojwk macrumors regular

ojwk

How about for customer's whose original 18th month iPhone contract has expired?

If my knowledge of O2 teaches me anything is that they will disregard customer loyalty and charge the same as they would for new customers.

From a business perspective I can't complain though as its what i'd do if I were in charge of O2. The demand is still there and they have exclusivity, no real reason to start giving it to people for free; regardless of loyalty.

Nevertheless I'm going to try and negotiate with them with all the usual tactics..

23. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

What exactly is there to negotiate about?
    My O2 contract (November 2007) expired last month…
    I am free to upgrade should I choose when the "new" iPhone is released.

I expect to have to enter into a new 18 month contract with O2 and get a subsidised iPhone… If I want the top range model, then I will have to pay extra.

Why should I be treated differently because I bought the original iPhone in 2007?

Why should I feel as if I have been "done in" by O2? :confused:

24. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

People are looking at this all wrong.

If you sign an 18-month contract, that ties you in for 18 months. You can drop the price after 9 months, however that doesn't mean the phone is paid off: it means that they don't make a huge loss on you with the high payments for the first 9 months and the low payments for the last 9 months averaged out.

With any other phone in the world that came out, you would have to wait til the end of the contract. Just because this is an iPhone it is no different, as network provider still subsidised the cost of your phone.

The upgrade from the iPhone 3G to whatever may be releasede at WWDC is different to the upgrade from the original iPhone to iPhone 3G as anyone who had the original iPhone paid the full amount, so the network contributed nothing therefore were happy to let you upgrade as they make no loss.

The truth is, if you signed an 18 month contract after the iPhone had been for sale 6 months, you should have thought that you'll probably miss out on the next generation!

25. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

If this does happen it is more likely I'll be getting next years new iPhone rather than this one...

Yikes, only 7hrs till the keynote but potentially another year and 7 hrs till the keynote unveiling an iPhone I can buy :D

The agony!