Upgrading RAM on a brand new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by weesi808, Feb 4, 2012.

1. weesi808 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm currently about to bite the bullet and buy a new iMac (was going to hold off for the potential 2012 version, but I fear I could be waiting a while, although will kick myself if a new one were to come out within a month after me buying mine, that would just be typical!) I'm thinking of getting the 27" iMac and upgrading the processor to the i7 and the graphics card to the 2gb version...however i've been reading that it is much cheaper to upgrade the RAM on your own (would be looking to at least upgrade it to 8gb for now, I doubt I could afford the 16gb) My question is: is it easy enough/cheaper to do so, and also does this invalidate any warranty or applecare if I were to start upgrading things like that on my own?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give! :)

2. simsaladimbamba

If you can use a screwdriver, you can easily change the RAM.
    16 GB should cost less than 100 USD via Newegg and Crucial and Amazon and Corsair.
    Look at the iMac User Guide or iFixIt for instructions.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is cheaper, easy to do, and will not invalidate your warranty.

The easiest way is go to this link at Crucial.com and their scanner will tell you what memory upgrade options they have for your machine.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

16gb of ram can actually be got for $70 if you watch online sales (a far cry from the $200 that apple charges for 8gb)

it is very easy, in fact apple provides instructions in the manual and online.

It does not void your warranty.

5. weesi808 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent. Thanks all for your reply...I think that's the final nod I needed to finally buy my iMac, and if I can save some pennies, even better! :) Thanks!

6. moonbeep macrumors member

moonbeep

Got my iMac last week and installed an extra 8gb of ram yesterday,it was very easy to do,only need to take 3 screws out and slot it in,is lots of videos on youtube on how to do it,have never fitted ram in a mac before(this is my first mac),you will be fine............

7. Spitfire411 macrumors member

Hi, I just ordered a new 21.5" iMac yesterday.

I know how simple it is to upgrade the RAM, my question pertains to how the RAM should be configured. Is there any problem buying a 4GB chip and inserting it along side the existing 2x2GB chips installed from the factory? Or should I buy 2 more 2GB chips for the same total 8GB?

My thinking is that I could install another 4GB chip down the road for a total of 12GB.

Thanks.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

4 GB chips are so cheap, it is pointless not to buy two x 4GB right now.

9. Spitfire411 macrumors member

I know, but that doesn't answer my question. Is it physically possible to run a 2x2GB and a 4GB chip beside each other, or do they all need to be the same size? If I did buy 2x4GB, could I run at 12GB total RAM?

10. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can run one 1 GB, one 2 GB, one 4 GB and one 8 GB module in combination if you want.
    The advantage of two 2 GB and/or two 4 GB modules is the dual channel speed boost, which is about 10 %.

11. Spitfire411 macrumors member

Ok, thanks. That's what I was looking for. Turns out, my brother has two 2GB modules lying about and is going to give them to me. So, from what I can tell, this 4x2GB configuration should be faster than a 2x2GB + 4GB configuration.

12. simsaladimbamba

Yes, by about 10 % in CPU and RAM intensive applications, thus not noticeable in day to day mundane tasks like browsing the web or creating text documents or editing a video.
    Just make sure, that the RAM you get is 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM

13. Spitfire411 macrumors member

It came from a 2011 Macbook Pro, so from what I can tell, it is compatible.
    Thanks.

14. camardelle macrumors 6502

I've got an iMac I purchased in August '11 and a MBP I got a couple weeks ago both brand new. They use the same Ram?

Does it make sense that I could buy 8 megs for my MBP. and take the two 4meg chips from my MBP and install them in my iMac or am I just barking up the wrong tree? Thanks!

15. Spitfire411 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure they do. If so, I'd buy two 4GB sticks for your MBP and then install the two 2GB sticks in your iMac. It has 4 slots. In the end, both your machines will have 8GB RAM.
    Just make sure to double check the specs of the RAM.

Rereading your post, does your MBP already have 8 GBs? You mention two 4GB (megs?) chips in your MBP already...

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well... I would be sure enough that it works that I would buy the 8 GB for the MBP and put the old RAM into the iMac, if they were my machines. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work, but I would be very surprised if it doesn't. (Mac Pro RAM will be very different).

17. camardelle macrumors 6502

My mistake, sorry. It has 4 megs total, not two 4 gig chips. Thanks for asking for clarification.

18. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

yep, thats exactly what i did.
    and for future reference, the ram between the iMac and macbook pro (possibly the mac mini too) is the same.
    apple makes it easy for a change... *cough* mac pro *cough*

19. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Thread-jacking sorta - I upgraded my 2011 iMac (which came with 2x2GB) with a G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600 204-pin 4GB module to make it 8GB. Would it be advantageous to get the exact same model/brand to bump my rig up to 12GB total? Can you mix/match PC3-10600 with PC3-10666?

Reason I ask is because there's about a $10 difference between G.Skill and Corsair/Patriot/Kingston RAM on Amazon. If there's nothing to be concerned about, and presumably there isn't... but just thought I'd get a second opinion... I'll pull the trigger. Thanks!

P.S. Corsair or Patriot or Kingston?