Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kikote

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
Hürth, Germany
Hello Raghad,

MTRON sent me yesterday firmware 0.19R1H2. Today I took the challenge of updating the firmware. Therefore I only did a standard DOS BootCD with included update utility and firmware. I booted my AIR with the option key pressed and chose to start from CD. After that, I just had to start the up.exe with the firmware file on the command line. The update itself did take about 4 seconds... Everything went smooth...
Now I am having the new firmware and I have the feeling that the disk is even faster... At least X-bench shows some better results when saving files...

Attachments

• MTRON.jpg
    MTRON.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,496
  • xbench_new.jpg
    xbench_new.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 104

fan9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
I just put the mtron drive into my macbook air, and its working right away!(whew..). Installed xbench and I have been getting similar results as kikote. I wonder if anyone knows how to enable udma-7 under os X, because someone earlier mentioned that the drive performs alot better under windows with udma 7 turned on. I am gonna use it for a while and see if the mtron is more power hungry than the hdd. Thanks everyone.

poteck

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Hello Raghad,

I´m trying to get it back to the vendor. I lost 20 more dollars in the ZIF to IDE adaptor in order to update the firmware, and after that the same my Air don´t detect it. At the moment i have spent around 250 $ in a brick an cables.

From what i know your disk and the one i have are faulty units.

And for sure Mtron never give a reply to my mails...

raghad

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
Just an update, I'm supposed to receive my IDE adapter tomorrow. I'm gonna try it in a PC to determine if the drive is defective or just not compatible. I'll keep you posted.

besexpress

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
Hi,

I just bought 1 and my MacBook Air Rev A couldn't detect it.

How do i create a DOS bootable CD with the Mtron firmware? I've tried these steps but not avail...

1. Download DOS (tried Windows 95 as well) bootimage
2. Create new image with MagicISO
3. Load Boot image from the downloaded DOS image
4. Add Up.exe and Mtron.mfi into the CD
5. Burn the CD
6. When i booted up into DOS, i just can see the UP and Mtron files

Any steps that i missed?

besexpress

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
Hi,

I just bought 1 and my MacBook Air Rev A couldn't detect it.

How do i create a DOS bootable CD with the Mtron firmware? I've tried these steps but not avail...

1. Download DOS (tried Windows 95 as well) bootimage
2. Create new image with MagicISO
3. Load Boot image from the downloaded DOS image
4. Add Up.exe and Mtron.mfi into the CD
5. Burn the CD
6. When i booted up into DOS, i just can't see the UP and Mtron files

Any steps that i missed?

raghad

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
Quick update: I have not yet gotten the drive to work with my macbook!

The drive is not faulty, since it works (is detected) when connected to my PC.

I have updated the firmware to version 19, and that didn't fix it. Then I upgraded to version 20, and that didn't fix it either. I am going to try to install it in another macbook air, and hopefully that should work. My best guess is that the drive is not compatible with some of the logic boards Apple used in the MBA, but is compatible with others. I don't know if that's an accurate assumption, but all other avenues I have tested have failed!

In the mean time, MRTON might fix this issue from their end with another firmware release. The version 20 firmware fixes compatibility issues, but unfortunately this is targeted at the MSD3025 model.

In any case, I will update you guys with any new developments on my end. I wish everyone the best of luck as it's incredibly frustrating watching a $200 drive collect dust on my table!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

I have updated the firmware to version 19, and that didn't fix it. Then I upgraded to version 20, and that didn't fix it either. I am going to try to install it in another macbook air, and hopefully that should work. My best guess is that the drive is not compatible with some of the logic boards Apple used in the MBA, but is compatible with others. I don't know if that's an accurate assumption, but all other avenues I have tested have failed!

In the mean time, MRTON might fix this issue from their end with another firmware release. The version 20 firmware fixes compatibility issues, but unfortunately this is targeted at the MSD3025 model.

In any case, I will update you guys with any new developments on my end. I wish everyone the best of luck as it's incredibly frustrating watching a $200 drive collect dust on my table!

Has anyone got any further updates on this initiative or alternative SSD upgrades for Rev A. MBA's?

I would love to give my year-old MBA some new life!

poteck

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
From what i know, my MTRON didn´t work, The runcore there are lot of problems, probably in both cases because of the ZIF or voltage, who knows, bad news at all....

G5ANDY

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009

Have you tried resetting your PRAM, NVRAM, & SMC? How about restarting your computer in safemode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.