Upgrading the SSD in a late 2014 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlargKing, Nov 24, 2015.

1. BlargKing macrumors regular

BlargKing

Well like the title says, basically I've got a late 2014 15" rMBP with a 512GB SSD, and I've been finding lately that it just isn't enough storage (I have half of it taken up by a Windows Partition). I don't want to rely on external storage or using a slow SD card.

I've been googling it myself but I can't seem to find any SSDs for my particular rMBP. Its a model 11,3. Does the 11,3 have a different SSD than the earlier model? Or is it the same? Is there no 3rd party SSD for this model yet?

I'm looking to put 1TB in my rMBP. Anyone here have a cost effective idea? Obviously this is going to cost at least 600$, but I'm hoping to mitigate some of the cost by selling off the 512GB SSD currently in my rMBP.

Also, if I manage to procure a 1TB SSD, is there a way I could simply clone my current SSD onto the new one so I don't have to re-install my Windows partition?

Thanks!

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

There is no 3rd party drives available for your 2014 MBP. The internal drive is not an SSD, it is a flash drive with an Apple proprietary PCIe interface. The only way to get another one is a used one pulled out of a Mac off of eBay.

3. BlargKing thread starter macrumors regular

BlargKing

Wow. Thats quite plainly the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

Like holy crap put a disclaimer when you buy these idiotic laptops that your stuck with whatever you choose. Bad enough they did it with the RAM but the bloody SSD? Like I get laptops aren't super upgradable but FFS let me at least expand my storage.

Or let me guess they don't want me to upgrade my physical storage so I'll buy a stupid iCloud membership.

Keep on designing **** Jonny Ive. I'm switching back to PC for good.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nowhere in the description does Apple claim that the RAM or SSD are user upgradeable. In fact, the tech specs only say that the RAM and SSD are "Configurable" to different sizes. As in at the time of purchase.

5. BlargKing thread starter macrumors regular

BlargKing

Well its a poor design choice. They could easily stop with their proprietary BS and just used a standard mSATA or PCI-E SSD. But no they make it unique so you'll either shell out when you buy it or shell out to have them upgrade it.

Its dumb, and I'm quite plainly sick and tired of the direction apple is going. Im selling this MacBook and buying a Dell XPS.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Finally someone who comes on here moans about apple and then leaves them because they don't make what they want, good for you mate, perfectly sensible decision.

7. Aneef macrumors regular

Aneef

Though it might not be of much help (as you said that you don't want to use SD cards), but TarDisk Pear offers an excellent SSD expanding solution. It merges the storage of your SD Card with your internal SSD and the reviews on Youtube show excellent read/write speeds. Worth a try, maybe?

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

As you've discovered, the new retina MB Pros aren't upgradeable (in a practical sense).

If you need more SSD storage, you'd do FAR better to buy a USB3 external SSD.

Just noticed this the other day:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZTRY532?tag=delt-20
    240gb size is a very reasonable $80.

9. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Surely Johnny Ive is a designer, concerned with the look and feel of products, not their internals. I'm not troubled by the glued-in flash drive or RAM of my Pro, but rechargeable batteries just never do last and should be easily swappable. But I knew that when I bought it, so I'm not carping.

10. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I agree, knew when I bought my Pro about the components, no carping is right.

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

So basically an user blaming Apple for his wrong choice about purchase (since Apple's MacBooks aren't advertised as serviceable/upgradable) ?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good luck, the Dell XPS, they do look like nice machines. By the way, while not "user serviceable", you can find larger SSD units for MBPs on eBay if you want to go that route. The SSDs are not soldered onto the logic board so you can upgrade it, that issue is that there's no third party ones being sold, all the eBay ones are from other MBPs

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Good bye OP. You won't be missed. Cheers.

14. Acejam2k macrumors regular

This is why I went 1TB on my recent MBP purchase. Expensive up front, but the hassle later on down the road simply wasn't worth it.

15. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

16. CE3 macrumors 6502a

$1300 for a 1TB flash storage?! Wow, no thanks!

I'm not thrilled with Apple's decision to make basic things like RAM, battery and storage non user-upgradable and repairable (especially for a company that wants to be viewed as environmentally conscious), but I knew what I was getting before I made my purchase, so I can't complain.

I think I'll eventually get a jet drive for photo storage and an external SSD for video editing projects and backups. I have 512GB with 361GB free. I like my internal drives to have plenty of free space for performance reasons, so I'll only allow maybe 100 more gigabytes of internal storage to get used up.

17. ooans macrumors 6502