Upgrading to Ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bid2ask77, Jan 20, 2011.

?

Will you be upgrading to the new Ipad 2

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    62.7%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    37.3%
  1. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

Do you guys think its worth to upgrade to the Ipad 2 once it comes out.

2. JSalig macrumors 6502

If it comes with a significantly higher resolution, maybe. Won't even give it a second look if it doesn't. I also want to see what the other tabs coming out have to offer.

3. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

I'd buy it if it was made from cardboard!

Seriously though, I think any sensible person would probably weigh up how the new features - when they're actually announced - would benefit them. If you've got money to burn and / or just have to have the latest stuff, then the question of 'worth' is redundant. I'm waiting to see if the extra cost would be of value to me - chances are it won't be, despite the lure of the 'oooh / shiny' Magpie Effect.

I have an iP4, and barely take photos or make video calls from it as it is - the thought of having those features on an iPad really doesn't interest me at all.

Just my opinion.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is a subjective term, since I don't have an iPad1, I think it will be worth it.

If I went out today and purchased an iPad 1 today and they released the new iPad in April, then I'd have to see what the specs are.

While it seems many iPad owners here at MR seem anxious to upgrade, I think the majority of people will be content with the iPad 1 and the changes that will make it into the iPad2 will be incremental, i.e., no retina display, so the it may not be worth upgrading from the original iPad to the "2"

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I voted No. I'll get another year out of my iPad whatever the new one offers.

6. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

No new iPad until iOS no longer supports the hardware.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

As maflynn mentioned, worth is a subjective thing that depends on the individual, his/her needs, whether their existing ipad fills those needs, and whether a new ipad fills any needs not currently satisfied by the existing ipad.

The last part is key -- any the answer to that is unknowable until the specs are released. You can make guesses based on the speculation flying around; but that's just speculation and some of it is conflicting such as screen resolution.

8. freddy425 macrumors regular

As much as I wanted to get the iPad the day it came out in April, I waited, and waited and this past summer I just decided to wait for the iPad2, I'll definitely be getting this the day it comes out...

not sure how relevant it is, just my .02

9. COSWORTH macrumors regular

i will buy if better display, if not no ill wait

10. MrWillie, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Sorry guys, my original post somehow ended up in the wrong thread.

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I'll know when they actually announce iPad 2.

If it is the supertablet that many were predicting (Retina display, dual core A9, more RAM, cameras, SD card slot, better speakers) then yes for sure.

But if not I'll probably wait it out another year.

12. Tones2 macrumors 65816

If it has 128 GB and / or support for any form of 4G, then yes. Otherwise no. So I'm about 95% sure that it's a no.

I can care less about a camera, which seems ridiculous for a device this size especially when 99% of people already have it on their phones that they always carry around with them. Plus it most likely won't have a camera flash, so it's use is even further limited. I'd love an SD slot if it can be used to EXPAND on-device memory, which it most assuredly won't. The screen pixel density increase would be nice but it's actually fine to me right now. Lighter and thinner is always better but unless it's SIGNIFICANT, I can live without it.

So I'm once again prepared to be underwhelmed, as always. And I always am.

Tony

13. WLS macrumors 65816

Probably. I just sold my Gen1 so I'm free to get one if I want. It was worth it to pay $150 to have the use of one for a year and no matter what the Gen2 will have, it will be in aggregate an improved device. I'm expecting an announcement in the next 30 days. :)

14. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

No, because I don't have an endless amount of money to spend on toys because they get a boost in resolution. Or an SD card slot.

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

No, because I have no idea what will change about it.

And I'm waiting for a retina display (and don't forsee that coming with this revision).

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It depends on what is actually in it. I have bought an iPad yet because the current version isn't compelling enough for me yet. If the new one comes out with a high res screen and more storage, with everything else being equal, that would probably get me to go ahead and get one.

17. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

I voted yes - but it will be when I can get a refurbished iPad.:)

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

This for me, I love the 1st gen way too much, too!

19. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

..and I really love my 1st gen refurb! But I'll wager the 2nd gen will have a lot to love too!

20. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I'll wait for :apple: to announce the event, sell my iPad on craigslist for 450, and I'm back in business

21. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Thanks to the predictability of Apple's hardware lifecycle I have already sold my current iPad. :D I am stoked to be in line for the new one in the coming months. I probably will only have to come outta pocket ~$50 for a new one with more space.

Speaking of space... they'll probably eat the cost of the upgrades in the screen but not increase the baseline storage space... Which sucks a little to be honest. I was really hoping the new ones would get more storage.

22. FutureStar5 macrumors newbie

FutureStar5

Nope , I'm keeping my "old" one. I just got it for Christmas and I'm enjoying it as it so far. I'm a big technology fan but I don't need to have the latest and greatest (I still have my 1G iPod Touch, use i everyday and it works just fine, plus my computer is a 2006 model). I may upgrade when iPad 4 or 5 comes out. :)

23. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Heck no, I just got my iPad two weeks ago on Softbank's "iPad for Everybody" campaign here in Japan (the carrier subsidizes the cost of the device on a 2 year data contract). I'm sure the iPad 2 will be great but in the meantime I'm loving this one and will for the next two years at least.

There will always be newer and better. The real question is whether what you have does what you need it to. :)

24. THFourteen macrumors 6502

Normally I'd agree except nobody really NEEDS an iPad, it's very much a luxury item. I use mine every single day for at least a couple of hours, and I have the money saved, so if the jump is similar to iphone 3G to 4 I'll get one but if it's similar to iphone 3G to 3GS I won't bother.

25. xxTK421xx macrumors newbie

Seeing as how I just bought my 32gb iPad, no I won't be upgrading when the new one comes out. Eventually, sure. But probably not til the iPad 3 or 4. From what I've been hearing about the iPad2, there just isnt anything in it that has me excited.