Upgrading to iPhone 4.. I am NOT primary name on account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wiestlingjr, Jun 9, 2010.

1. wiestlingjr macrumors member

I would like to preorder, and pick up the iPhone on the 24th. I am listed as an authorized user on the account, but my mom is the primary account holder. I know the last 4 of her social security number though. What is the best place I can order and be guaranteed to pick it up. I do not want to encounter problems on launch day. Thanks for your help

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Assuming your mother has approved this, why wouldn't you pre-order and have it shipped to your house? If you won't be home that day, then I would recommend pre-order and pick it up at AT&T store. I heard apple store really check and see if you are a primary holder.

3. wiestlingjr thread starter macrumors member

I will not be home that day or I would have it shipped to my house. I will be at work all day. And i heard that about apple too. I also heard that according to AT&T's website and press release, they if you do instore pick up with them, you will not be able to pick your phone up until the 25th, which is why I don't want to go that route.

4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

The second part isn't true. You'll get it the 24th.

If you're not going to be home all day, what difference does it make if you send it home?

5. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. I've always gone through AT&T in this case because they allow my to buy/change anything for the account as an authorized user. But I'm turned off by having to potentially wait for the 25th for it to be shipped to the store. A friend of mine said he talked with our local AT&T store and they said they planned on receiving the pre-orders on the night of the 23rd along with the extras they'd have for people who didn't pre-order (obviously this is still pure speculation and rumors, so take it for what it's worth). If I remember correctly, the AT&T stores opened at 7 a.m. last year for the 3GS, so if that's the case again, you could go wait outside early on the 24th and pick one up before you have to head to work.

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You can't pick it up until 25th? Whatttt?
    Where did you get this information.... This is not true.

7. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

AT&T PR...common knowledge

9. wiestlingjr thread starter macrumors member

Because the phone will need to be signed for. Does anyone know if they ship it out via Priority Fed Ex, or just regular Fed Ex.

10. wiestlingjr thread starter macrumors member

And i still don't understand why you can't pick up your preorders from AT&T until the 25th.. It just doesn't make sense at all. I might try RadioShack since they will take preorders.

11. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I'm considering the same (not to mention they'll buy your old iPhone off of you), but we might run into the problem of not being the primary name, just like people have with not being the primary name when they try to buy from Apple.

12. wiestlingjr thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, but i figure RadioShack wouldn't be as anal about it as Apple. I know BestBuy would let you buy it not being the primary account holder though, as I have done this before. But if they don't take preorders I do not want to wait in a line.

13. kingballin20 macrumors regular

kingballin20

Same here, im not the primary account holder, can i still order it?

14. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just a word of caution:

The AT&T wording is starting to drift away from a firm June 25 or later pre-order in-store pickup....

When and where can I pick up my preordered device?

As always, a pick up date depends on when you preorder and on our available inventory. That said, this year we’re encouraging customers to have devices shipped directly to their home or business – the fastest and most convenient delivery option. Customers can also opt to pick up their preorder at an AT&T store. Customers performing an exchange for iPhone 4 must have their device shipped to an AT&T store.​

source: http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/iphone/preorder_fact_sheet_ip4.pdf

Dave

15. wiestlingjr thread starter macrumors member

I am almost positive you could preorder it anywhere. The problem comes when you go to pick it up from the store. If you had it shipped it wouldn't be a problem.

16. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I wasn't aware you could buy from BB without being the primary! I'm still up in the air as to what I'm going to do... I just want a phone on the 24th before I have to head to class (11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.). Trying to figure out which route will be the easiest. :rolleyes:

17. wiestlingjr thread starter macrumors member

So basically they don't want to garuntee anything with preorders? It seems as if it means it could be even later than the 25th.

18. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I may be wrong, but I think if you preorder at the ATT store in person (rather than online) you can get it at that store on the 24th.

Or, you could order it online for home delivery and just leave a note for the fedex guy to leave it.

19. wiestlingjr thread starter macrumors member

I have work from 8-5. I could go into work late though, I just need to be there by 10. But i want my new phone before I go to work. And i am also trying to find my best way to get it.

20. kingballin20 macrumors regular

kingballin20

I am NOT (i dont currently own an iphone) eligible for an update, but i am willing to pay the $102. Do you think it will automatically charge it to the bill when i order it?

21. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

When you pre-order from Apple or AT&T, you'll enter your account information and it'll tell you what you're going to pay for the phone ($199/299 for full upgrade, $399/499 or $499/599 for non-upgrade). You'll choose which phone you want (white/black, 16gb/32gb), etc. etc. and then a "hold" of whatever amount it comes out to be will be placed on your credit card (to make sure you have sufficient funds). When your phone ships, the charge will fully process. Does that answer your question?

22. kingballin20 macrumors regular

kingballin20

Yes, but what do you mean by account info? Like when i type in my #, i do not have a password for it online.

SO this will add the extra early transition fee?

23. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

Are you an existing AT&T customer? Or are you switching from another carrier (Verizon, Sprint, etc.)? If you are already an AT&T customer, then I think you'll be prompted to create an "online account" before you proceed to buy the phone. You'll just have to enter in some basic information about your account like your name, cell phone number, last 4 digits of your social security, etc. If you aren't an AT&T customer, then you'll have to contact your original carrier and tell them you're switching to AT&T. They will then take care of any additional charges you have to pay them for leaving early, or whatever it may be.

24. kingballin20 macrumors regular

kingballin20

I am indeed an existing member, and my mother is the primary account holder and I'm just one of the lines of the family plan, therefore I don't know if it is existent to create an account

25. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

what about if you order it off apple for home delivery and not att