Upgrading to iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheAppleGeek, Apr 24, 2010.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Yesterday, after months of dealing with a half-broken iPhone, I went and bought a brand new 3G at my local AT&T store. So, I asked about upgrading to the iPhone 4, whenever it releases. One of the managers told me that since I just got a new phone, I won't be eligible for the discount price. Of course, I already knew this, but I was wondering how much it will cost to upgrade to the new one releasing this summer?

Now, let's say the cheapest model will be $200. I'm guessing the price for me will be anywhere between $400 and $500?

2. troop231 macrumors 603

K, here's what a rep at the ATT store told me to do and I suggest this: When you want to get the iPhone 4, just add a new line to get it for the discount (subsidized) price, then later cancel the old 3G line. Only downside is you will have a new number, but sometimes that can be a plus :p

3. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Yes with a new 2 year and that's if they allow a partial upgrade then. It may be too early. If you want the iphone 4, stick it out imo.

4. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

@ Troop, still taking a contract ETF hit though.

5. troop231 macrumors 603

Not if he bought it outright with no contract.

6. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

7. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Here's a trick and u keep ur number. First if u have someone else on ur plan that can upgrade upgrade them. Then ur current iPhone downgrade that, then ask them to switch the phone numbers. Since u have all ur contacts and stuff backed up on iTunes and ur computer u won't loose anything, the other person might but I'm not sure. I did this and it worked fine

8. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

etf early termination fee

9. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You don't need to switch the numbers, you just switch the sim cards. If you need to get a new micro sim, go into a direct AT&T store and you can get one for free or cut your old one down.

10. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

If he bought it outright with no contract, then he would just be able to purchase the new iPhone at the subsidized price...

11. McBeats macrumors 6502a

Can't you drop ur contract and send ur phone back within 30 days of locking into the contract without paying ETF or iPhone fee? Thought you could... I'd advise to do this if so...

12. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Thanks for the help guys! I've been looking into all my options, and I plan on talking to my AT&T store soon.

13. troop231 macrumors 603

Or unsubsidized, his choice... Contracts suck though.

14. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

If your a business customer (FAN number) you don't have a contract cancellation fee.

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Last summer I wasn't eligible to buy the 3GS so I had to buy it for $499. This was for the 32GB. This price also extended my contract to two full years again.

16. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Just to make sure I'm understanding everybody correctly, I can do the following (right?). Talk to an AT&T rep and discuss my options for the upgrade. (Should I bring up the new line?) If the rep tells me the same, I should create a new line, then within 30 days of doing so, cancel the one I have now. The iPhone should cost around $400 - $500, correct? So, by the time the iPhone 4/4G/HD comes out, everything will be cleared up.

17. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Here are your options:

1) Return your iPhone within 30 days and there is no penalty. You'll pay for your usage and maybe a restocking fee, but you can get that waived. You'll get full discount pricing.

2) Keep your current iPhone, when the new one comes out, add a line onto your account and get the new iPhone at full subsidized pricing at that time. You then use the new iPhone on your primary line and claim that you are using a regular phone on your secondary line and only pay the $10 per month and delete the data charges. Or you could cancel the line after 30 days and pay the ETF on that line - $175 that last time I checked. You then sell your old iPhone to cover the ETF and have a little bit of cash left over.

18. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

19. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

That certainly would save me a ton of money. Would I get full refund, though? The reason being, because I just found an unopened 8GB iPhone 3G (what I bought) for cheaper than what it would be at AT&T. If I did that, (like I did with my now-broken, old iPhone) it wouldn't count as an upgrade, would it?

Either way, thanks for replying. I think I know what I'm going to do now.

20. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I think you should be forced into paying the full $700 as a penalty for buying a 3G even after the specs for the new iPhone have been leaked.

I mean, seriously, you couldn't even spring for the 3GS? Talk about flushing a subsidy down the toilet.

21. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Why pay for the most expensive model, when within two to three months, a new one is going to come out? Obviously, the 3G is my "temporary" phone.

So, no. I didn't waste anything.

22. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

The 3GS will have a higher resale value than a 3G. I imagine mine will at least, should I want to upgrade to the new phone because it has an untethered jailbreak and can be unlocked. It's a nice little market, reselling your phone to pay for the cost of your new one. I sold my 3G (with cracked screen) for $200 on ebay when I was upgrading to the 3GS, and it wasn't jailbroken or unlocked (but could be).

23. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yes, this will work just fine. Be sure to get EVERYTHING annotated on your account before you leave. Also request an email sent to you stating what happened, that way you have your proof. Errors happen and you'd hate to find out on release day that they didn't change your account back to being upgrade eligible.

24. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Great!

I plan on going to AT&T tomorrow, and discussing this whole predicament. If all goes well, I'll be eligible once more.

25. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

i'm currently on a family plan with 4 iphone lines. We are currently a year into our contract and the site says we are eligible for an upgrade Dec 2010. I'm wondering when the 4g iphone drops would we be eligible? I know when the 3GS dropped, some people were able to upgrade early who had their contracts from 12-18 months. Do you think they'll provide something like that when the 4g comes out?