Upgrading to the snow?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ivnj, Sep 7, 2009.

1. ivnj macrumors 65816

So snow leopard is out finally looks like. But not sure if I should so it.

1. Is it true its only intel now? No power ppc apps? What if I still have a few i need to use?

2. 30 or 50 is good. Not bad price. But how does it work? Do I have to upgrade or can I clean install? How does it know I already have leopard if I need to clean install. I bought family pack for leopard. Original version without the snow. However according to this

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/27/the-29-snow-leopard-upgrade-usable-for-10-4-intel-macs-as-well/

it works even if you never bought leopard as long as its intel. That scares me that a lot of people are going to just buy the 30 dollar now and not get the whole package.

3. Is it even worth it. I have a mac mini intel core duo 1.66 cd burner 2gb ram, and my dad has a core duo 1.5gb ram macbook pro first gen with firewire 400 not 800. And he also has a imac g5 but that's no good if it is only intel. But at least intel wise is it really worth. Anyone notice speed increases, etc. Or maybe jsut save the 50 bucks.

4. Besides speed what else have they added? What's new and cool with the snow? And have they taken out anything that used to be in regular leopard?

That should do it for now thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

1. It only runs on Intel Macs. PPC apps will still run using Rosetta, as they have in Leopard.

2. It's my understanding you can install on a new hard drive - one which has never had Leopard installed. You have the option of upgrading or doing an erase and install. I'm not sure what you mean "whole package". The difference between the $30 and $50 versions is in the license. Otherwise, they are the same DVD.

3 & 4 - too complicated to answer quickly, and there have been many, many, threads on the subject already. Since you both have Core Duo (as opposed to Core 2 Duo), you won't be able to take advantage of 64-bit, but there are other technologies in SL which should give you a performance increase. Most are seeing >7GB in hard drive space savings. The "under-the-hood" changes and improvements, refinements in the UI, and some new features are easily work $30-$50. That's just my opinion, anyway.

3. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

I mean whole cuz they offer a 30-50 dollar package for upgrade only or they also offer the full deal for 169 or 229.

4. RED™ macrumors regular

RED™

The 29/49 Disc is the same as the one in 169/229. The "whole box" how you call it is supposed to be bought by Tiger users.

The only difference is that you will have iLife 09 and iWork 09 included in the Mac Box Set.

The forums are full of these topics and apple.com should be a resourceful page for ya ;)

5. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

We already family iwork 09 and ilife 09. So I guess I'll just have to buy a copy and see for my self.

6. grammy j macrumors newbie

macbook tiger to leopard to snow leopard

I have 2 apple computers, a new iMacTh desktop running Leopard and an older MacBook running Tiger [ I never upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, figuring I'd wait for the Snow Leopard.]

I bought the $49 upgrade [still unopened] but was told that in order to get Snow on my laptop I would first need to load Leopard. I really don't want to spend $169 more.

I tried to use the disks that came with the new iMac but got a message saying, you can not load this software on this computer.

Why can't I?

Thanks,
    grammy j
    :confused:

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Intel only as a platform, you can still install rosetta if you need to run PPC, i.e., non universal binary, apps.

The disk is a fully bootable disk that you can do a clean install or an upgrade. Its really personal preference though the majority of folks go the clean install path, as I did.

30 bucks, for you're machine. you will need to purchase the family pack if you wish to install it on more then one comptuer at your house and you are correct the G5 iMac will not be able to run Snow Leopard.

Most of the cool new features are under the hood to make SL a better OS for developers and newer multi-core machines. You the consumer will see little benefit in terms of features. Go to apple.com and see what specific features have been added - no use in rehashing what they already posted.

8. ivnj thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, well I'm just going to run to the apple store now and get a copy. I'll just have to see how it works for me. He said over the phone its pretty popular so lets just just prey they have some by the time I get there.

And yes I always buy the family pack. Even if I can use the single. Besides I'm not the buffest so I probably won't lat more than 24 hours in jail anyway.

Better safe than sorry and just buy the family pack.

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

You tried to use WHAT disc on WHAT computer? You tried to use the OS X 10.5 Leopard Disc that came with your iMac on your Macbook?