Upload files from the iPhone - How... how do they DO it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Mar 27, 2015.

1. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

If you're on your iPhone and you need to upload anything other than a photo.... how do you do it?

The iPhone doesn't have a file system but we have iCloud Drive so... why does the iPhone not have a capability to upload anything but pictures and video??

This is a severe limitation. And... how have people been getting by all this time???

2. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

The iPhone certainly does have a file system. Also, certain apps have iCloud Drive integration, here is where you can upload files to it.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use Dropbox and Evernote for most of my needs

4. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok so but then why don't all apps have this integration, especially Safari... since Apple made it?

5. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Yeah I've found no solution when I'm on a website that requires me to upload like a PDF or something.

7. nouveau-apple, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

It really brings out the limitations of the phone. It really goes to show, it's just a phone.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Let's see..

It can take photos, play music, answer email, surf the Internet, watch movies, play games, order an uber, give you directions, track your steps and distance run during exercise, check the weather..

Doesn't sound like "just a phone" to me.

9. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

But you can't send any file.

10. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

11. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Isn't it crazy how there's never a jailbreak out until the next phone comes out? There's never a jailbreak for the current phone.

12. zone23 macrumors 68000

Apple hasn't done a very good job of implementing iCloud drive. Its like they came out with it then just forgot about it. Look at the bright side we are going to have some awesome Emoji! I wish apple would overcome the fear of a file system.

13. RedCoil macrumors newbie

The iCab browser has some file uploading capabilities. It isn't 100%, but it might get the job done for you.

14. nouveau-apple, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

I'm not doing that.

Kind of makes you wonder how we've been getting by all this time. Not even on an iPad can you do it.

You have to spend $4.99 here, $1.99 there, $3.99 there every time you want to do something that the phone cannot do. Why spend time downloading apps taking up even more space when there's already built in apps?

At least if we cannot delete the useless Apple apps, (like Apple Maps, that's useless) add an add-on ability or something.

And they keep adding more and more. Tips, Apple Watch, Newstand.

# I don't like it.

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You can jailbreak and iPhone 6 and 6 Plus running iOS 8.1.2. As far as I know the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are the current iPhones.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and cannot be taken at all seriously.

----------

You can. And, even if you couldn't, it can still do all of the things I mentioned. Therefore, it's not "just a phone."

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

My 6+ is jailbroken on 8.1.2 right now. It is the current iPhone.

17. Bri in Mtl macrumors member

Perhaps you should return it?

18. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I use Airstash to move files/documents back and forth and also for file storage. For me at work, I don't have wifi or good cellular service. With the Airstash I can save all my working files and then be able to access via USB on my laptop or via wifi with my iPhone. The Airstash actually creates its own wifi so you can also allow others to access the files as well. I have mine password protected. It just works great for me and solves most of not all of the problems that you bring up.

19. nouveau-apple, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015

But you know that jail breaking is going to disable Apple Pay and disable apps? I mean it's just a rabbit hole.

This is the difference Androids you probably could do all of these things.

If Apple is going to come out with a way to interact with the Internet on a phone, they would probably develop their own proprietary file system.

It's just that you have to jump through hoops to do the most basic tasks.

20. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Can't send any file?

AirDrop, Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote etc.

Whats the problem? What files you need to send exactly?

21. nouveau-apple, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

You keep saying apps like Dropbox and Google drive, but when it comes to inserting them on the Internet, you can't do it.

22. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Not exactly sure what you are getting at. Putting what kind of file on the Internet? And where? Most online sites allow you to upload from iphone or iPad.

23. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Jailbreaking takes a lot of effort. Apple becomes more and more diligent about patching exploits. Apple is also diligent about a yearly iPhone refresh, which can prevent or open new exploits. All three things considered, you can't be surprised jailbreaks take a long time, and may or may not coincide when a new iPhone is released.

Speaking of Apple, the reason you can't just send any file is because of Apple's artificial limitations. Hence the reliance on a jailbreak.

24. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is a lot like being in jail isn't it? We might not care about some of the things that the iPhone can't do. We knew for the longest time that iPhones don't have expandable batteries and storage options, you can't customize it like you would like and other things.

But you don't have to have a file system to upload a file to the Internet. And what about doing multiple email attachments? You can't do that in Apple's mail app.

One of the go-to apps to enable the functionality to upload anything is iUploader, a paid solution, an astonishingly expensive $9.99 just for the simple act of uploading to the Internet.

We still have students complaining that Safari doesn't let them upload homework, and others complain that they can't even submit a job application.

There are ways to work with PDF's and mp3's on an iPhone, but getting those files to where you want them (the Internet) is a nightmare in itself.

iTunes is antiquated. Why can't it be more like Google Play? It's based on more of how people actually live their lives.

25. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I use both my iPhone and iPad as extensions of my work PC and have no issues getting done what I need to. Is it different from Microsoft - absolutely yes but not in a way where I ever feel constricted or in jail.

It's quite obvious that the iOS system doesn't meet your needs so you should really look for an alternative that does.