Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

112611-2009-03-18iphone3f.jpg

Engadget Mobile discovered an interesting screenshot from the iPhone 3.0 beta operating system that is labeled "Upload Video". The screen reportedly appears when you try to upload photos to MobileMe. While Engadget is labeling it as an interesting "typo", we feel it likely suggests that video recording and upload capabilities will arrive in the next generation iPhone which could be released as early as this summer.

There have been intermittent reports about the next iPhone revision, but few solid leads. Still, whispers have suggested that June/July is the timeframe for the next iPhone which is said to be a major upgrade over today's model. Talk of multi-core CPUs and GPUs suggest the next iPhone could be significantly more powerful than the iPhone 3G. This could pave the way for rumored features such as background processes, and even video recording. While Apple has made no references to a new hardware revision, we feel the timing of the iPhone 3.0 operating system due out this summer provides Apple an easy way to introduce a major hardware revision at the same time.

As a result, it wouldn't surprise us that this "Video Upload" screen was misplaced rather than mistyped.

Article Link: 'Upload Video' Screen Suggests Video Capabilities in Next iPhone

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Hooray. No more Cycorder. Although should video recording really require a multi-core processor? Does this mean there will be no video recording in older iPhones? If my 2G can render 3D games, it can record video. C'mon.

Comment

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
the next iPhone wont have background processing. Its more important to save any power for longer standby-time .. background processing wont happen . period. but video will ...

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Yay! Looking forward to the next model, when I might finally spend some money and get a very good product. I'd imagine this wont be the last bombshell to be found. What's next.

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
[sarc] As an iPhone 2G owner this really really really PISSES me off. It's completely unfair of Apple to add video to new hardware and not retroactively add it to older models. I'm just outraged. [/sarc]

Comment

kgeier82

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Video (and a better camera with flash) would make me very happy.

I think the fact that the iphone has NO FLASH is a good thing. Camera phone flashes are a waste, they do nothing.

As far as camera quality goes, its sufficient for video. I would like to see a 3-5Megapixel camera in the phone, with vga video recording (like 99% of all phones with a camera).

I simply dont think Hi res video recording is required.

[sarc] As an iPhone 2G owner this really really really PISSES me off. It's completely unfair of Apple to add video to new hardware and not retroactively add it to older models. I'm just outraged. [/sarc]

Thanks for making me smile :)

Comment

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
I will be THRILLED if the next phone has video recording! I only bought my phone in November but if video along with these other great features are on the new phone, then it may be worth it to me to pay full price :)eek:) for the newest model

Comment

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
Video (and a better camera with flash) would make me very happy.

a flash will shorly be an external flash ... not build in ..

The FrontSide-Cam will utilize the same functionality that todays mac with iSight do .. it will simply flash the screen when you take a photo with Photoboth (Mobile Version)

Comment

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow

haha you were about to get properly roasted there before i saw the 'sarc' quotes

Comment

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It makes you wonder if Apple/AT&T will introduce video chat on the iPhone. Of course that would require some type of camera on the front of the phone which can be hidden behind the screen or placed next to the ear piece. This feature could possibly help sales in Japan and other countries using video chat.

My only fear is the AT&T part of the equation. Given their propensity to reach deep into our pockets for new services on their network they might increase the data rate plan to offset their cost for a jump in bandwidth usage because of video chat.

It will be very interesting to see what new hardware the new iPhone will have now that cut/paste and MMS have finally been added on the OS side.

Comment

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA

Hilarious, but the sad thing is you just know someone will make that exact statement, lol

Comment

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I really hope this means a better quality camera in the next iPhone revision. Even with the apps available to jailbroken phones, the photo and video capabilities are sub-par to most phones in this price range. Even the built-in iSight on Apples notebooks are better.

Comment

mikeytrend

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
com.apple.iMovieMobile?

I can see the keynote now... haha.
Something about being able to shoot video, edit, and upload to mobile me all while making a phone call.

Comment

damnyooneek

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2005
the 3g iPhone is capable of doing video but apple will probably use video as one of the new selling points and only put it on the updated one. rip

Comment

shyfidelity

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Just my opinion, but I don't feel like my iPhone 3G has a good enough camera to take videos worth watching. That's probably why they'll only enable it in the next gen phones.

Comment

Rychiar

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
just the 3g? the iphone has been capable of video since day 1. Apple just crippled the device by not maximizing its potential through software...it's like how ther sayin the original iphone can't support mms...********:rolleyes:

Comment

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I'm really hoping for 32GB storage, two cameras (front and back) with at least 2.3 megapixels and 720x480 video. Oh, and LED flash (if it were possible for programs to turn on the LED flash as a mini-flashlight like many Japanese phones, even better).

More RAM and additional processing power would be great, but I feel like I'd be satisfied without the background processes. Still, if they manage to add these things as well and hit total feature superiority over the Pre, that'd be pretty awesome.

Comment

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I think the fact that the iphone has NO FLASH is a good thing. Camera phone flashes are a waste, they do nothing.

Rubbish. Seriously, just complete nonsense. Phone camera flashes do plenty.

Anyway, this'll be good, and I'm sure indicates a much better camera in the new version. I'm sure YouTube will be a much more popular upload portal than MobileMe though...

Phazer

Comment

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I suspect that the screen shot shows a remnant of an attempt to add video capacity on this pass. Apple did say that they have experimented with video on the iPhone but the internal memory doesn't handle it well enough.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.