UPS Advice for iMac and MUCH more

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andrewdale, May 17, 2009.

1. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

So, to get to the point, I want to get a(n) UPS for most of the setup. We have a LOT of things that are plugged in in the office area, all of which need surge protection, but only some of which need a battery backup for them. So, what doesn't need a battery backup will get a good surge protector and be good to go. However, this is what we need hooked up to the UPS:

(1) 24" Alum iMac 2.8GHz Extreme
    (2) Western Digital MyBooks
    (1) AT&T Modem
    (1) Airport Extreme
    (1) Canon iP4500 Printer

So, I'd need something with 6 battery backup plugs.
    I also have heard that there's no better way to go than with an APC.
    I think we could probably spend up to about $200 on it.

Any recommendations on the best option? Thanks!
    -Andrew

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

APC is what I use (I have 6 of them around, 3 on servers).

They have a calculator on their web site where you can get an idea of the capacity you will need. You input the equipment you have, and the up time you require. (http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm)

As for outlets, as long as you don't exceed the load capacity, you can plug in a power strip or just a triple outlet get the number you need.

I don't like to get knocked "off the air", so I have my Airport, router and modem backed up too. (my MBP and a bunch of external drives and a burner are connected to a BackUPS ES 550)

The up time probably will end up being 15-20 minutes, without getting into too much $$$. But, that's sufficient finish your work and get everything shutdown.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

+1 on APC. I've used them for years and they've always been solid performers.

Use coupon code i732w to get 17% off at apc.com for two more days.

4. andrewdale thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that info! That calculator needs a little updating, doesn't it? :)

Sweet deal! Thanks for that!

After using the calculator, it says I should get the BN1250LCD. It has everything I was hoping for, including enough outlets for everything I was considering. Does this sound about right?

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm using a Geek Squad UPS, it has both battery and non-battery outlets.

BTW, why do you need to have your modem, Airport, and printer on UPS? Generally the point of a UPS is to give you enough time to save your data and shut down, not print and transfer files on a network.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

http://shop2.frys.com/product/5782282

Yes.

7. andrewdale thread starter macrumors 6502a

My wife runs a photography business and all of the editing and post is done at home. So, that's the primary reason for the UPS. The modem and router, in particular, need to be backed up because of the delicacy of some of the workflows of the business. If a huge file transfer is taking place or a client is being met with (email, Skype, etc), or any other network-related activity, there needs to be time to finalize these.

The primary concern is the iMac and HDDs, but the modem and router are definitely a plus. I'm not too concerned about the added power required because the last thing we need is to lose connection with a bride interested in the $XXXX package!

Also, the printer most likely won't be plugged in. It's doubtful that printing would ever be so drastic. However, using fine-art paper can be quite expensive, and I'd hate to be printing a 13"x19" image on fine art paper and then lose the whole job.

Too bad they're back-ordered right now. Maybe I'll see what APC says tomorrow.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

In my case, we were getting a lot of power outages and drop outs due to wild fires in the area. Aside from getting safety information, I would check the SCE reports and see whether the power would be out for long. Also, I tend to use audio iChat often and suddenly hanging up was also an issue.

Of course, the primary purpose was to keep my 6 external drives from dropping off from a glitch, but I figured the other was a worthwhile benefit. My server/router has it's own UPS; both Airports, enet hub and cordless phone have another. My MBP and drives have a third.

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Get 2? I say this because if you try and get 1 bigger capacity UPS, they start using bigger/different outlets :p

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

You might consider getting two like dr. shdw said. If the power goes down you will not have everything sucking the power out of it. If you get two it will spread load the power draw and you could stay up longer. Plus you will have a backup incase one of them goes down. You could get all of the important stuff switched over to the good one if you had too.

11. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

BTW, that model from Fry's was posted as a hot deal at FatWallet.com a day or two ago. It seems everyone else's prices are much higher. I almost bought it for myself (to keep VOIP equipment running in a short power outage) but the lack of a way to silence it killed the deal for me.

12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you have single UPS, of the correct capacity, it wouldn't be any different than using 2 of half the capacity. It's just the total capacity vs. total load. Having a 2nd UPS in case of its failure isn't too bad an idea, if you mean prioritizing equipment, but, of course, that has to be done anyway.

To clarify my setup - the set(s) of equipment are in different parts of the house. The server (headless) and modem are in a closet; hub and airports by a desk; MBP & drives across the room, etc. I sorta have to have separate UPSs. (Oh, also have one on the DVR and its external eSATA, and on a weather station server in yet another room.) I have to say, though, with the amount of outages we had, I was seriously considering a generator on the mains. The one advantage of "collecting" UPSs is they're relatively cheap one-at-a-time ;)

13. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Well what I mean is the bigger UPSes start using NEMA L5-30P plugs and above..which means getting drops done, which could be a hassle. :p

14. gotzero macrumors 68040

Search Smart-UPS 1500* on ebay. You should be able to get a used rack-mount or free-standing unit with new or good batteries for close to your budget.

It is massive overkill for what you want to connect, but that is kind of the point with UPSs. I have purchased multiple 1500s this way, and could not be happier, although it looks like the seller I purchased from does not have any right now. The 100 or ever 750 ones would probably be fine for you too.

15. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

True. There's bigger, then there's BIGGER. :)

30KW: :cool:

Attached Files:

16. andrewdale thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now, THAT is what I need!

Haha, maybe just a 15KW one? I think that would be enough. ;)