Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
So after waking up at 3am to place my order and getting an 11/3 delivery date... I spent the whole day waiting on Friday and nothing arrived... Got a notification that UPS came by my house and nobody was home which is total BS, I have security cameras and scrubbing through the entire day did not see a UPS truck pull up..... So after several phone calls with UPS and Apple on Saturday morning they were going to re-deliver on Saturday.... few hours later I get a UPS notification that the package is being returned to sender. Wonderful another round of phone calls with UPS and Apple... Been getting the run-around all morning today and nobody knows where this package is. Last scan is showing at the processing center on Saturday with designation to be returned to sender, but they claim its not there and its not on a truck. At this point I'm pretty much over it and just feel like an idiot for waking up at 3am... I just want Apple to refund me since I have no interest in paying $1150 for a phone that is out in limbo somewhere.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I think Apple should be able to make a claim with them to have them trace it and figure out what's going on. Until that happens they can't refund you because they don't know what's going on with the device, though.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So after waking up at 3am to place my order and getting an 11/3 delivery date... I spent the whole day waiting on Friday and nothing arrived... Got a notification that UPS came by my house and nobody was home which is total BS, I have security cameras and scrubbing through the entire day did not see a UPS truck pull up..... So after several phone calls with UPS and Apple on Saturday morning they were going to re-deliver on Saturday.... few hours later I get a UPS notification that the package is being returned to sender. Wonderful another round of phone calls with UPS and Apple... Been getting the run-around all morning today and nobody knows where this package is. Last scan is showing at the processing center on Saturday with designation to be returned to sender, but they claim its not there and its not on a truck. At this point I'm pretty much over it and just feel like an idiot for waking up at 3am... I just want Apple to refund me since I have no interest in paying $1150 for a phone that is out in limbo somewhere.
Keep hounding UPS and asking to escalate the matter. May hit them up on social media or DM higher up execs. This is totally unacceptable, ESPECIALLY, since you have indisputable evidence that they're completely fabricating delivery updates.

Reactions: 44267547

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I’d honestly just give it another week-ish. Apple will refund you. If they don’t you can file s claim through your credit card. But they’ll refund you. They likely just want to make sure the refund doesn’t happen and you end up getting the phone anyway. If it is lost or damaged they want to be sure to be able to file s claim with UPS.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
Good old UPS takes another victim. :(

You should get a refund, or a Priority replacement from Apple.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I've definitely escalated it a few times already... At this point I'm just tired of being on the phone and calling different people. It's really not worth it for a phone.... My only concern is getting my refund but like many of you have stated I'm sure Apple will come through on that even if UPS loses the package since It's well documented on my account that I never received it.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
certainly ok to be frustrating. I would be too. my UPS driver has left about 4 total packages to neighbors on the street behind and in front of us. totally different street name and number. mine and my wife's apple watch was one of them. calling to complain to UPS is useless. hopefully it turns up soon for you.

Wise87

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
What I️ don’t get is UPS never came by you place according to your cameras so my guess is the driver is shady since he logged it as a delivery attempt and no one was home.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
What I️ don’t get is UPS never came by you place according to your cameras so my guess is the driver is shady since he logged it as a delivery attempt and no one was home.

Absolutely, I dont know if he was being shady or lazy... I offered to send the footage to one of the managers I spoke to but they didnt seem interested, so I'm sure nothing will be done about it.

mac1281

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015
I truly feel bad for you and I would be equally as upset as you. I always dread that this would happen to one of my packages but to have it be the iPhone you’ve been highly anticipating for is absolutely the worst!

I would call Apple’s customer service number and request they overnight a similar model to you. I’m sure they have new models set aside for situations like this. Let them know the trouble (in a polite way) you went through not only ordering the item but tracking it down after it was lost. Don’t bother with UPS any longer. Good luck!

Reactions: MareLuce

jetydosa

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2015
Dude I feel your pain - I had similar issue as started in other thread here.

To recap my situation:

Ordered 3:03am
Out for delivery on Fri 11/3
UPS arrives with our normal deliveries (business address)
No phone
Tracking still says Out for delivery
Call UPS - they call local hub, they dont know where it is
Multiple phone calls with me, hub, UPS Corp - they dont know where it is going through 4am Eastern time
Saturday morning I say hell with UPS - order phone for local store pickup and pickup (lucky me)
Saturday afternoon get a call from local hub "package was found in a maintenance area" - I decide to NOT go pick up, since I already have another phone
UPS says will deliver on Monday
Monday - No Out for Delivery, call UPS again, Corp leaves message for hub
Hub calls me - "Phone was placed in locked supervisor office for safekeeping - will hand deliver within the hour"
Phone is couriered by UPS supervisor to my work.
Just now I return the phone to local Apple store for refund (I figure will make someones day who thought theyd have to wait vs trying to flip it). This was about 30mins ago.

So I figure it was "stolen" by someone at the hub who scanned it going on the truck but then hid it. UPS peeps found it...put it in supervisor's office. Looked at video or whatever and brought that person into said office and fired them.
The box even looked to have been dusted for fingerprints! But...I could be wrong and just a chance accident, but.....

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I truly feel bad for you and I would be equally as upset as you. I always dread that this would happen to one of my packages but to have it be the iPhone you’ve been highly anticipating for is absolutely the worst!

I would call Apple’s customer service number and request they overnight a similar model to you. I’m sure they have new models set aside for situations like this. Let them know the trouble (in a polite way) you went through not only ordering the item but tracking it down after it was lost. Don’t bother with UPS any longer. Good luck!

Everybody I spoke to at Apple pretty much said that if the phone is returned to them I would have to place a new order and be entered in the 3-4 week wait pool. I've been very nice and polite with everyone I've spoken to since I'm not really losing it over this to be honest....I asked if they can have one sent to me or if they can arrange for an in-store pick up but no luck.... Maybe if I was kicking and screaming and being a jerk on the phone I'd get better results lol. But thats not really my style.

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
I am in a similar situation as well. Was going out of town Friday afternoon so I called UPS to hold for pickup at my local UPS CC. Did this for both my phone and my wife's (two separate pre-orders) which were both scheduled to delivery Friday 11/3. My wife's was available for pickup in the morning, but no sign of my package. Still stays "in transit" on the tracking page. Multiple phone calls to both Apple and UPS, but no one seems to know where the package is and are doing internal investigations.

UPS is claiming the package never "cleared customs" but finally did on Friday and I should see some movement on tracking today. No movement yet however....

Apple told me I could get a refund or a priority replacement if it is in fact lost and does not turn up after they do their investigation. They also told me someone should be calling me back with an update with 24-48 hours (called them yesterday). Annoying because I too woke up middle of the night to preorder and am having to wait. But at the end of the day it's just a phone....as long as it gets sorted out soon, I will be happy.

Reactions: bigjnyc

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
That's terrible, I definitely would not be so calm. It's not just the fact that you don't have the phone yet, it's the fact that so much of your time is wasted by you having to call people for UPS's screw-up.

On a side note, I always thought it was stupid to have such an expensive phone delivered, especially when the delivery people already know what it is and the value. I'm surprised packages aren't stolen more often. I've always been a reserve/pre-order and pick guy myself.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
So... because you couldn't claim "first" and be the envy of friends you're disgusted with Apple?

Sounds like someone entered the wrong address. Only when undeliverable (or an exceeding long package hold time) does it get sent back to the original sender. More than likely the message you received was "delivery was attempted" not that they actually came to your house it would say something like "recipient unavailable" the fact that no one showed up on your security cameras would seem to back this up. More than likely they found the address wasn't valid and decided to send it back to Apple.

Double check your billing / shipping info for an error.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would continue to follow up with UPS and see if this can be escalated to somebody that can further look into the situation. Sometimes talking to entry representatives or managers does not gain any traction with these types of situations. But at least Apple will refund you if necessary.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009

Because it was undeliverable. They probably received the parcel but soon realized the address was invalid. Or at the very least it doesn't show up in their mapping system as a valid address. At that point it would have been returned to apple. notice OP said "UPS came by my house" but really the specific message would have been more detailed like "Delivery was impossible", "Recipient wasn't home", or something similar.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I have no interest in paying $1150 for a phone that is out in limbo somewhere.

Sucks for sure, but that statement is kinda dumb. The price is irrelevant. Obviously you're not paying anyone for a lost phone. No one expects you to.

A_Flying_Panda

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
I've definitely escalated it a few times already... At this point I'm just tired of being on the phone and calling different people. It's really not worth it for a phone.... My only concern is getting my refund but like many of you have stated I'm sure Apple will come through on that even if UPS loses the package since It's well documented on my account that I never received it.
You don’t even need the document. All iPhones need to be signed off. If they can’t provide your signature, it’s not delivered

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
So... because you couldn't claim "first" and be the envy of friends you're disgusted with Apple?

Sounds like someone entered the wrong address. Only when undeliverable (or an exceeding long package hold time) does it get sent back to the original sender. More than likely the message you received was "delivery was attempted" not that they actually came to your house it would say something like "recipient unavailable" the fact that no one showed up on your security cameras would seem to back this up. More than likely they found the address aunt valid and decided to send it back to Apple.

whoa whoa who said anything about being disgusted with Apple? If you read my posts you will see that I don't really care about having the phone "first" I just dont want to pay for a device that I never received. Jeez some people

My address is 100% correct both on the order and in UPS' system, I confirmed this on the phone with them numerous times. it was definitely a screw up on UPS part

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
certainly ok to be frustrating. I would be too. my UPS driver has left about 4 total packages to neighbors on the street behind and in front of us. totally different street name and number. mine and my wife's apple watch was one of them. calling to complain to UPS is useless. hopefully it turns up soon for you.
I have a similar issue I live in the 'burbs and I am on a near square of houses where house number 4 exists on 4 different streets. UPS keeps screwing it up. FedEx is no better.

A_Flying_Panda

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017

Sounds like someone entered the wrong address. Only when undeliverable (or an exceeding long package hold time) does it get sent back to the original sender. More than likely the message you received was "delivery was attempted" not that they actually came to your house it would say something like "recipient unavailable" the fact that no one showed up on your security cameras would seem to back this up. More than likely they found the address aunt valid and decided to send it back to Apple.

Not necessarily an address problem. I’ve had the same issue couple times with both FedEx and ups. All address are from amazon which ups and FedEx use to deliver my package all the time.
Big chance is they somehow lost the package and are trying to find it. They just use “delivery attempt” to hide the fact, and usually avoid refunds under their on time guarantees.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Because it was undeliverable. They probably received the parcel but soon realized the address was invalid. Or at the very least it doesn't show up in their mapping system as a valid address. At that point it would have been returned to apple. notice OP said "UPS came by my house" but really the specific message would have been more detailed like "Delivery was impossible", "Recipient wasn't home", or something similar.

Seriously dude? No you’re wrong below is a screenshot of my tracking. It clearly says delivery attempt was made. And again my address was 100% correct on the package this has already been confirmed by UPS and a Apple. Go away
[doublepost=1509999754][/doublepost]
Sucks for sure, but that statement is kinda dumb. The price is irrelevant. Obviously you're not paying anyone for a lost phone. No one expects you to.

But I am because right now my card has been charged and the phone is not in my possesion and nobody knows where it is. So if we're talking present tense its not really a dumb statement.

Attachments

• 33F099C1-F1EB-4230-9707-438ADEEA00EC.png
    33F099C1-F1EB-4230-9707-438ADEEA00EC.png
    430.7 KB · Views: 601
Reactions: Newtons Apple

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Seriously dude? No you’re wrong below is a screenshot of my tracking. It clearly says delivery attempt was made. And again my address was 100% correct on the package this has already been confirmed by UPS and a Apple. Go away

Your screen shot is clearly different from what you said in the first post. It mirrors what I said it should have said "receiver was not available." I can't help it if your details were not specific enough.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Your screen shot is clearly different from what you said in the first post. It mirrors what I said it should have said "receiver was not available." I can't help it if your details were not specific enough.

I was pretty specific with the events that went down. you decided to make assumptions including that I was disgusted with apple because I wasnt the envy of all my friends, how exactly did you come to those conclusions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.